Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Need to change the oil pan and gasket on a 07 WK 3.7 with 199k. Have been researching as much as I can, seems to be 2 ways people have done this job. Factory Service manual says to raise engine with lift to gain access. Other way I have found people are attempting this replacement, is to drop the differential and maybe move an axle to gain access without having to jack up engine.

Can anyone provide thoughts on these options?

Secondly, If I go with the raising of the engine, (Dealer stated it would be around $400 labor if I brought in my own parts) Should I do any other preventative maintenance when engine is lifted? Ex. engine motor mounts or rear main seal.

Due to the age and mileage of the Jeep wondering if it would be wise to just change em out since engine will be up?

Think there are (2) engine mounts?
I don't even know if doing the rear main seal during an oil pan change is possible?

Thanks for any thoughts or help with these issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it's been awhile since you posted, but did you do it yourself or take to dealer? I haven't heard of the raise the option, but sounds a lot easier than messing with diff and/or axle.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for you interest, disappointing I couldn't get any responses before I did the replacement. Took it to a mechanic I trust, the dealership didn't seem to interested and their quote was more than double the local mechanic's. I don't think dealerships now-a-days even want to work on older models. Think I paid (labor only) around $500 after tax, dealership wanted over $1000, just for labor mind you.

I supplied the parts, purchased them through buymoparpartsnow.com Have ordered from them in the past, seem legit OEM parts. Below is the part, part #, and price at time of purchase.

Oil Pick-Up 53021776AA $34.82
Oil Pan Gasket 53021001AB $36.08
Oil Pump 53020827AC $104.80
Oil Pan 53021755AB $55.83
Drain Plug 6506100AA $6.66

Anyone catch the miss order??? I did make the mistake of ordering a Oil Pump, which is not located in the oil pan area. I think its located near the timing belt? Unfortunately I opened the box, so I don't think I can return it. I did show the part list to the mechanic before I purchased, but I guess he missed it or didn't know. Anyone need a Oil Pump?

Mechanic raised the engine just enough to gain access to remove oil pan. I had brought in the thread on not raising and dropping the differential, but he did not think that was a time saver or better option. If you have an engine jack, raising engine seems to be the better way. Mechanic also said that the rear main seal wouldn't be more accessible during the oil pan replacement. My engine mounts looked fine so was a non issue as well.

Happy to announce the leak has stopped. So onto the next issue with my over 200K WK! Safe travels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's great SomeGuy!

I was going to suggest a trusted shop. I found one I love. Owned by a great guy, an immigrant, and run like a 70's shop as far as safety crap. I can go inside and not only watch, but help out. Great mechanics. A 12 pack of Corona got me quite a few repairs for less than my cost of parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts