Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am needing to replace my oil pan and oil pick up tube on my neighbors 08 Jeep Liberty 3.7 L. Long story short, the Jeep Fell off the jack and the jack went through the oil pan. I’ve started separating the oil pan from the gasket on one side and that’s where I’m stuck at. Any tips on how to do this without removing the engine?

any short cuts?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
56 Posts
Put it back together and have it towed in.

You'll be lucky if the crankshaft isn't damaged.

That job is going to require a hydraulic vehicle lift, an overhead chain hoist and at least two reputable experienced mechanics.

Make sure their work is guaranteed for the long run.

It will be worth every penny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Put it back together and have it towed in.

You'll be lucky if the crankshaft isn't damaged.

That job is going to require a hydraulic vehicle lift, an overhead chain hoist and at least two reputable experienced mechanics.

Make sure their work is guaranteed for the long run.

It will be worth every penny.
The jack only damaged the oil pan and pick up tube from what I can see. It didn’t reach the oil pan gasket / shield

·
Registered
56 Posts
I feel your pain . . .

Once I had a 351 c.i. V-8 Ford that had a slow leak on the oil pan in the rear main bearing area.

It constantly dripped oil on the exhaust system, stinking to high heaven.

Its oil pan had to be removed to fix it.

Somehow they managed to free-up the engine and transmission as a unit and lift everything up enough to remove the pan and re-do the gaskets and those rubber inserts on both ends.

Once its fixed the engine/transmission unit have to be maneuvered around to align and re-attach the mounts, that's why it takes at least two brave, skilled people with the proper equipment.

That was back in the eighties, it cost upwards of a thousand bucks, even back then.

Sometimes you just have to pay the price and move on.

That's what credit cards are for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A Jeep dealer managed to strip out the drain plug on our KJ CRD to the point it was unrepairable. The vehicle was only 6 months old and on its' first 'Service Departments know best' oil and filter service.:oops:

After a small skirmish with the Service Manager and dealership owner, they agreed (cried) to replace the oil pan.

The unit was in the shop 2 days as they had to lift the engine to replace the pan.

Needless to say, I installed a Fumoto drain and have done my own oil and filter changes since that experience.

Oil pan R/R is not a DIY job for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
56 Posts
"A Jeep dealer managed to strip out the drain plug on our KJ CRD to the point it was unrepairable. The vehicle was only 6 months old and on its' first 'Service Departments know best' oil and filter service."

That's why you should use one of these -

1622700813089.png

Instead of one of these to deal with drain plugs !

·
Registered
48 Posts
LOL. Impact wrench complete with oil filter adapter....

The same method used to tighten the oil filter so that you have to hire a gorilla to loosen it? :ROFLMAO:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts