Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 3.6 Jeep Grand Cherokee came up with a check engine light, 94kmiles on it. I waited about a week hoping it would go away before I put my code reader on it, it didn't. It came up with the p05020 code. I went to the dealer bought a new sender. There is an updated part number ending in ab which they gave me. I switched it out, 5 hours later back in business. I don't believe what you have to go through to get to it. Before the swap the oil pressure was locked in at 94 psi. Anyway all was good for 19 days and 450 miles and now I am having the same issue. Any Ideas? I know it is a high failure part but this is crazy, unless it is something else I am missing. What would you do?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
The 3.6 oil pump system is way more complicated than it needs to be for the sake of a few more tenths mpg's.
Unles you checked connector issues, I hate to say this but i think the oil pump system might need an expensove overhaul.
Hope i'm wrong.

What a shame FCA decided to go with this rube goldberg oil pump system including that goofy prone to fail oil filter cooler assembly.

What i myself would do is trade it in if no easy cheap fix.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I posted this earlier as a reply to someone else with same issue. I also have a 2013 with only 61,000 mi. which had the same code. the oil pressure dash readout was 95psi. so I figured it was the sensor. I usually do most of my own repairs, but didn't have the time to do it, so went to the dealer. They told me as stated above that the oil pump needed to be replaced, which is beyond my capability. I agreed to have them do it, and since the intake manifold has to be removed to allow the engine to be lifted off the mounts for clearance, I had them replace the oil cooler assembly at that time., as it is prone to leak eventually. Then the nightmare: After getting home from dealer I had oil leaking all over my driveway. To make a long story short, I had to bring it back 4 more times, to finally have it fixed correctly, with no leaks! They did replace the oil pump, and the cooler assembly, and all is good now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted this earlier as a reply to someone else with same issue. I also have a 2013 with only 61,000 mi. which had the same code. the oil pressure dash readout was 95psi. so I figured it was the sensor. I usually do most of my own repairs, but didn't have the time to do it, so went to the dealer. They told me as stated above that the oil pump needed to be replaced, which is beyond my capability. I agreed to have them do it, and since the intake manifold has to be removed to allow the engine to be lifted off the mounts for clearance, I had them replace the oil cooler assembly at that time., as it is prone to leak eventually. Then the nightmare: After getting home from dealer I had oil leaking all over my driveway. To make a long story short, I had to bring it back 4 more times, to finally have it fixed correctly, with no leaks! They did replace the oil pump, and the cooler assembly, and all is good now.
Was you oil gauge on the dashboard locked in at 95 psi. I guess at this point it I was hoping it is a faulty sensor again? It runs great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was you oil gauge on the dashboard locked in at 95 psi. I guess at this point it I was hoping it is a faulty sensor again? It runs great.
Is there any way to test the sensor? How can I unlock the dash were it is frozen at 95 psi? I cleared the code but it didn't unlock the frozen setting of 95 then the code came back. I took off the battery cable for 5 min. That didn't do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow up I replaced the sensor. This time it lasted 5 months 4000 miles. Could I have a bad part again? These are new factory sensors. Anyway to test these sensors or the wiring? Can it be relocated for easier service? Car still runs great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts