Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SOOO! I have a 2014 GC 3.6L with only 151k miles on it. It went in for an oil change and a replacement of my A/C Condenser. Picked it up and it drove perfectly fine to Walmart but then as I headed back home, my oil pressure light came on and my husband told me to pull over before it blew up.

So when I pulled over it was making this horrible clunking and ticking noise. Husband told me to check for oil and I had it on the dipstick, so we had it towed back to the shop. My shop looked at it, changed the oil filter and made sure all was good and they couldn't figure it out so they had it towed to my dealership and they just looked at it today and they say the oil pump went out and none of the oil made it to the engine which "starved" the engine and something broke and there was metal shavings in it. This is resulting me to need a new engine. I have an extended warranty and hoping its covered or mostly covered, etc. but my question is, is there any chance that this could have purposely been sabotaged? both my shop and dealership are like "this is just a freak accident and it just went out".

Let me know what yall think. Send prayers before I still owe on this thing. 馃槄

Registered
I had mine go out on my 5.7L V8 about a month after I bought it (Used with about 72K miles on it at the time. Mine shot coolant all over and I got warning lights immediately so i was able to stop and nothing overheated. My warranty covered the full cost of the repair, and now about 15K miles later, no issues since.

My understanding is the V8's go through their water pumps (oil pump) fairly regularly (maybe every 70-100k miles).

Not sure if yours is the V8 or V6. I think the V6's don't go through their water pumps as frequently. Hopefully your warranty keeps you all covered though and you'll come out of it with a more reliable GC that you know has been fixed.

Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
Sadly, errors can be made at any garage.

Back in 1991 I had a reconditioned engine put into a Cavalier at a garage. They provided both labour and materials. I drove it 50 miles exactly and it did what you described- busted due to oil starvation. In my case, they had added a solution called Slick 50 which guarantees to run a dry engine, but had forgotten to add the oil thereafter.

They had to foot the entire bill themselves due to the guarantee held on work done by them, both in terms of labour and parts they supply, when it comes to providing and selling a service for the safety and satisfaction of their customers. An engine blowing up is a big 'fk me' moment, from my experience, so I relate to your experience even from here in the UK.
If you supply the parts though, then their guarantee falls under labour only and not the part, so that's up to you then to prove it isn't the part being an issue if you suspect bad workmanship is afoot.

Your argument may sound like this to your warranty cover provider, so they can cover it and deal with the financials over who will pay later so you can get it back sooner: "It was fine before it went into the garage, and it broke after the service I had paid for happened. They worked on a relatable part of the system, when they performed the oil change."

I'm wondering though- what would starve the engine through the oil filter anyways? Did they not remove the clingfilm cover first? That's happened in a few YouTube videos. As for sabotage....unsure and wouldn't like to say. More likely accidental if that's the case.

Registered
SOOO! I have a 2014 GC with only 151k miles on it. It went in for an oil change and a replacement of my A/C Condenser. Picked it up and it drove perfectly fine to Walmart but then as I headed back home, my oil pressure light came on and my husband told me to pull over before it blew up.

So when I pulled over it was making this horrible clunking and ticking noise. Husband told me to check for oil and I had it on the dipstick, so we had it towed back to the shop. My shop looked at it, changed the oil filter and made sure all was good and they couldn't figure it out so they had it towed to my dealership and they just looked at it today and they say the oil pump went out and none of the oil made it to the engine which "starved" the engine and something broke and there was metal shavings in it. This is resulting me to need a new engine. I have an extended warranty and hoping its covered or mostly covered, etc. but my question is, is there any chance that this could have purposely been sabotaged? both my shop and dealership are like "this is just a freak accident and it just went out".

Depending on how far away walmart is from the service center...sounds like the oil pump was working fine. But these things can happen spontaneously..especially if that's the original oil pump.

Registered
SOOO! I have a 2014 GC with only 151k miles on it. It went in for an oil change and a replacement of my A/C Condenser. Picked it up and it drove perfectly fine to Walmart but then as I headed back home, my oil pressure light came on and my husband told me to pull over before it blew up.

You didn鈥檛 say which engine but neither the 3.6 nor the Hemi is known for oil pump failure that would cause that type of engine damage. If it鈥檚 a six cylinder I would be suspect of why they felt the need to change the oil filter when you towed it back to the shop 鈥he cynic in me thinks they may have put the wrong filter in and realized thier mistake. The filter changed for 2013 and putting an early style filter in a 2014 engine could cause a loss of pressure
please update us if you get any more info

Registered
Now that does make sense Crosshairs. Well spotted- why did they change the oil filter after it was towed back to them before they sent it to the dealership?
That does need to be raised as a concern as it has the whiff of a cover up to me 馃

Registered
You didn鈥檛 say which engine but neither the 3.6 nor the Hemi is known for oil pump failure that would cause that type of engine damage. If it鈥檚 a six cylinder I would be suspect of why they felt the need to change the oil filter when you towed it back to the shop 鈥he cynic in me thinks they may have put the wrong filter in and realized thier mistake. The filter changed for 2013 and putting an early style filter in a 2014 engine could cause a loss of pressure
please update us if you get any more info
I had a similar thought, but I didn't mention it because the oil filter doesn't actually maintain oil pressure (it helps but doesnt do the bulk of the work)...it's the pump. It sounds more and more like either they didn't put oil in or enough oil, or they put the wrong oil type in the engine. or maybe the pump really did just quit, it's impossible to know without seeing it in personal prior to it being returned to the service center.

Registered
I had a similar thought, but I didn't mention it because the oil filter doesn't actually maintain oil pressure (it helps but doesnt do the bulk of the work)...it's the pump. It sounds more and more like either they didn't put oil in or enough oil, or they put the wrong oil type in the engine. or maybe the pump really did just quit, it's impossible to know without seeing it in personal prior to it being returned to the service center.
The 2013 and newer 3.6 take this filter
Rectangle Circuit component Wood Auto part Audio equipment

The 2011 and 2012 take this filter
Rectangle Wood Office supplies Font Metal

puting the old style filter in the new style housing leaves the bypass open and causes low oil pressure.

I would like to say it's uncommon but that would be a lie. sometimes all you get is top end clatter and an engine light, but a high mileage engine may not be as forgiving and could seize the cams.

in any event, this may not be what happened but it's the first thing I thought of when I read what transpired.

Registered
The 2013 and newer 3.6 take this filter
View attachment 244735

The 2011 and 2012 take this filter
View attachment 244736
puting the old style filter in the new style housing leaves the bypass open and causes low oil pressure.

I would like to say it's uncommon but that would be a lie. sometimes all you get is top end clatter and an engine light, but a high mileage engine may not be as forgiving and could seize the cams.

in any event, this may not be what happened but it's the first thing I thought of when I read what transpired.
Very true, but wouldn't cause a complete lack of oil pressue...not like how the OP mentioned it anyway. Or did I miss something in the original post...?

Registered
Very true, but wouldn't cause a complete lack of oil pressue...not like how the OP mentioned it anyway. Or did I miss something in the original post...?
I could be wrong but I dont think they did an oil pressure test.... she said the motor was "clunking and ticking" and the dealer said " the oil pump went out and none of the oil made it to the engine which "starved" the engine and something broke and there was metal shavings in it" We have no information as to how they came to that conclusion other than the engine is either seized up or it sounds like a box of spanners
so as I said, the first thing I thought of was the wrong filter was installed, as I've seen it quite often.

of course it is possible that the pump really has gone bad,but thats something I haven't seen.
The solenoids do fail, but that just puts the pump in single stage mode and sets an oil pump solenoid stuck high or low code.

I think no matter what happened, we will never know the truth .... because the party that worked on it last, and had the most to lose if a mistake was made, already had thier fingers back in it.

Registered
I could be wrong but I dont think they did an oil pressure test.... she said the motor was "clunking and ticking" and the dealer said " the oil pump went out and none of the oil made it to the engine which "starved" the engine and something broke and there was metal shavings in it" We have no information as to how they came to that conclusion other than the engine is either seized up or it sounds like a box of spanners
so as I said, the first thing I thought of was the wrong filter was installed, as I've seen it quite often.

of course it is possible that the pump really has gone bad,but thats something I haven't seen.
The solenoids do fail, but that just puts the pump in single stage mode and sets an oil pump solenoid stuck high or low code.

I think no matter what happened, we will never know the truth .... because the party that worked on it last, and had the most to lose if a mistake was made, already had thier fingers back in it.
Very good point. If I remember correctly even an engine that comes close to seizing is pretty much gone as the internals probably overheated to the point of being warped. Might just depend on if she drove the distance of 2 football fields or 2 miles..SMH.

Registered
Under Jeep Wave, I have three oil changes. I had my oil changed once at a local dealership, but maybe not again. The plastic oil filter cover and the oil plug were over torqued plus they put too much oil in.

As far as this woman car, there seems to be a missing issue. She said the car was taken back to the shop and the shop changed the filter. Thereafter, the car was TOWED to the dealership and the dealership said the oil didn't make it into the engine, didn't circulate ("starved"), because the oil pump failed, something broke. When oil pumps break, they generally don't do it phases or a little at a time. The oil pump was probably broken when driving home from Walmart.

So if the shop changed the oil filter and the pump was already probably broken, not working, how did the shavings get into the oil that were found by the dealership? The shop should have dropped the oil while changing the filter, just to see if there was a problem, diagnosing the issue and quality customer care. Why weren't the shavings found by the shop?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Long story short, I was told oil pump went out, the timing chain broke and a piston went out. They found a chunk of metal during the tear down of my engine, never found where it came from. Got a remanufactured engine. 36 days later, I got my jeep back. Gonna run this thing until it blows up because I now have more money on it and still owed on it than it is worth 馃檭

Registered
Long story short, I was told oil pump went out, the timing chain broke and a piston went out. They found a chunk of metal during the tear down of my engine, never found where it came from. Got a remanufactured engine. 36 days later, I got my jeep back. Gonna run this thing until it blows up because I now have more money on it and still owed on it than it is worth 馃檭
Thanks for the update.
Glad to see you got your ride back in good shape with the engine swap.

The root cause could of been the snapped timing chain and not the oil pump system.
Those metal particles could of got lodged in the oil pump system and oil channels, clogged the filter, bypass valve or not.
But we'll never know for sure as its now all 'gone with the wind'.

Registered
Glad to hear you've got your Jeep back and it's running. Reconditioned engine as well- I think you've just added a good 10 years to her now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts