Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put about 50,000 miles on a set of Wrangler Duratracs (275/55-20), and they have been a great tire. I am a happy owner. If I wanted another set of all-terrain tires I'd buy Duratracs again.

But... A/T tires are not for me. Yes they look mean and macho, they look bad-ass. But at least 99% of my miles are on pavement. I've driven about 75,000 miles on my JGC CRD and I doubt there are 1,000 off-road or trail miles on her. Maybe 500-700 miles. As the Duratracs wear, they're getting noisier. I don't need the noise, and it turns out I really don't need the A/T tread pattern. The original Forteras, a street tire, did well enough on the rocks, trail, and sand. In mud they sucked, of course, but mud can quickly overwhelm the Duratracs too. And they have.

I am looking for 275/55-20 M+S light truck street tires. And I will do just as much trail and off-road driving on them, and they'll do fine enough for my needs. I will want a strong tire, for sharp rocks and other trail hazards. So my next tires will be more Clark Kent and less Superman. They'll look mild-mannered, but I'll still flog them on the trail.

The search for my next set of tires has begun. Suggestions?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't have any suggestions -- am still running the OEM Forteras. I agree with you about the Forteras. Heard so much bad stuff about them, but have been very happy with them all around.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Michelin LTX Premier?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am thrilled with the performance of my LTX Defenders. I have the 18" version but they can be had in your size. I've only had them for just over 10k miles but they are quiet on the road and very capable on rocks. My Latitudes would slip on wet pavement but these have never given me a problem.

·
Registered
Laredo 4x4
796 Posts
I had the same thoughts about on/off road. When I do get off-road I want something capable. I went the Cooper AT3 and don't regret them. If you want extra toughness, they now come in LT construction (AT3 heavy duty).

·
Registered
826 Posts
I also can't say enough good things about the Michelin Defender LTX. From your description, it sounds like the perfect tire for you. Smooth, quiet, long wearing on the road...outstanding in the rain and snow, and pretty capable for mild off-roading.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another vote here for the Michelin Defenders. I've always been a BFG all terrain guy but tried the Michelin's on a whim and they've been great.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the helpful info. 32" is generally considered to be the biggest tire for a WK2 with QL but at 32.2" OD the Michelin Defender LTX might be a little big (its section width is 11").

Does anyone have the Michelin Defender LTX in 20" size on their WK2 with QL? It looks like a good option.

Defender LTX info: https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/defender-ltx-m-s
Defender LTX specs: https://www.michelinman.com/upload/michelin_us/specifications/specs-defender-ltx-m-s.pdf

The Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in 275/55-20 are 31.9" OD, and 11.2 sec width. They almost never rub.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
Another vote here for the Michelin Defenders. I've always been a BFG all terrain guy but tried the Michelin's on a whim and they've been great.
Agree on the Michelin, you may also want to check out the Conti DWS SUV tires in your size.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same thoughts about on/off road. When I do get off-road I want something capable. I went the Cooper AT3 and don't regret them. If you want extra toughness, they now come in LT construction (AT3 heavy duty).
I considered the AT3 when buying the Duratracs. Many people like them and they're a good tire as you say. Believe me, another AT tire is tempting -- they look bad-ass tough. But a street tread will do what I need off-road while giving me optimum performance for the 99% of the miles I drive.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tire Rack suggests two modest A/T tires on "The Best All-Terrain Tires for On-Road Use".

If you're looking for a more subtle option (of A/T tread pattern), take a look at the Firestone Destination A/T and Michelin LTX A/T 2. While both of these tires are classified as On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tires and have more biting edges than a Highway All-Season, they take a more modest approach and make a good amount of sense for a consumer looking for a mix of off-road performance and daily livability.
The Michelin LTX A/T 2 does not come in 275/55. It does come in 275/60 and 285/55, but their ODs and section widths look too big (respectively -- 33.0", 11.0"; and 32.4", 11.7").

But the Firestone Destination A/T does come in 275/55 (and 31.9", 11.2"), so that might be a good option. In a quick search here, some folks are running them.

·
Registered
16 75th 3.6
803 Posts
Take a look at Yokohama geolander GO15 I think they come in that size. It’s an a/t snowflake rated (if that matters) but is extremely quiet on the highway. It’s like an all season on steroids. I put some on my WK last year.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@Kman09JGC, hey that looks like a good tire, the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015. I do like the snow rating. Its tread pattern looks good but not too aggressive (image, https://goo.gl/GVYsWu).

Compare that to the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac, which has a more aggressive pattern (image, https://goo.gl/QcJEfv). My Duratracs loudly remind me of that every day.

The Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 comes in (https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-a-t-g015):

- 275/55-20: 31.8" OD, 11.1" width, 8.7" tread width
- 285/50-20: 31.3" OD, 11.7" width, 9.6" tread width
- 285/55-20: 32.6" OD, 11.5" width, 9.4" tread width

The 275/55-20s should fit, not so sure about the others.

·
Registered
16 75th 3.6
803 Posts
They are very smooth and quiet for an a/t. Very good in all conditions. They are nearly as smooth as the premier ltx’s on my 16 75th

·
Registered
16 75th 3.6
803 Posts
IMG_0892.JPG
Here is a pic of the G015’s just zoom in to look at tread. A lot of pictures of this tire are of the LT version with more aggressive tread. The p rated ones have less aggressive tread.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How long have you had them, how many miles? My Duratracs were smooth and quiet at first, but as they wore down they became louder. I understand that's the nature of ATs.

·
Registered
16 75th 3.6
803 Posts
February 2016 about 5k. Was running General Grabber at2’s completely silent compared to the Grabber

·
Registered
16 75th 3.6
803 Posts
February 2016 about 5k. Was running General Grabber at2’s completely silent compared to the Grabber

1 - 20 of 50 Posts