Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the OME suspension for my 2020 Limited. I had OME on my Xterra, and it was amazing, especially the rear leaf springs. It totally transformed the truck. Of course, I know the suspension on the JGC is totally different so I'm just hoping for some feedback from anyone who has OME on their JGC. Also, if you have it, did you feel like upgraded upper control arms are necessary.
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I searched and couldn't find much feedback. I'm new to the Jeep platform, so I have no reference point.

Thanks

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
Upgraded arms are only need when using crappy spacer lifts. Spacer lifts put unneeded stress on the UCA's because they limit up travel and don't limit down travel which causes stress on the UCA. I'll be running the OME MD coils with Bilstein 5100's, but I have a 2014. 2016+ are not able to use the Bilstein 5100's for level/lifts because of a change in the front suspension. Most I've seen are happy with the full OME lift kit. The only downside I've seen, it will still have the factory rake. If you want to level the front with the rear you will need to add the OME front trim spacer.

Registered
2014 Limited
Upgraded arms are only need when using crappy spacer lifts. Spacer lifts put unneeded stress on the UCA's because they limit up travel and don't limit down travel which causes stress on the UCA. I'll be running the OME MD coils with Bilstein 5100's, but I have a 2014. 2016+ are not able to use the Bilstein 5100's for level/lifts because of a change in the front suspension. Most I've seen are happy with the full OME lift kit. The only downside I've seen, it will still have the factory rake. If you want to level the front with the rear you will need to add the OME front trim spacer.
[/QUOTE
To date I have lifted 4 Grand Cherokee鈥檚, a 95ZJ, an 04WJ and an 鈥11/14 WK2 of my own and 5 other WK2鈥檚. Both the ZJ and WJ were 3 1/2鈥 kits with 32.5鈥檚 under neath. Still have the 04, and sold the 95 to my Brother. All the WK2鈥檚 were lifted from Rocky Road Off Road鈥檚 2 1/2鈥 lift kit or their 1.75 front leveling kit. None and I Repeat none have had issue with any UCA failure from the 鈥渃rappy spacer鈥檚 Lift鈥 I have even modified both of the lift鈥檚 on my personal 鈥11 WK2 and our current 鈥14, to gain some more lift or to level the stance more.appropriately. There are some spacer lift鈥檚 that have a preload spacer that you have to take the top of the strut off place it between the spring and top plate and and bolt back down. Mind you I would never recommend that as it places a 鈥減reload鈥 on the spring and reduces spring travel and will cause an awful ride. But the RRO kit sit on top of the strut plate and does not preload the spring. It will limit some up travel but it鈥檚 negligible and it鈥檚 offset by the gains on the trail you鈥檒l make or the stance you desire. If you鈥檙e going to doing a lot of wheeling off road then keep an eye on your Front UCA鈥檚, but unless you鈥檙e really into the 鈥渟tuff鈥 on a regular basis, which most of us aren鈥檛 then you鈥檒l be fine. And the front upper control arms will fail on GC鈥檚 regardless under heavy use off road. I was one of the very first to use RRO鈥檚 spacer lift and will continue to use them and modifying or adding to them as I need too.

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
Enjoy your crappy spacer lifts. I'll pass!!

Registered
2014 Limited
Thank you and I will. I appreciate your opinion and since the 2011 WK2 model was introduced how many of our member鈥檚 that use spacer lift (and not a 鈥減reload spacer,鈥) have had an UCA failure from the 鈥渃rappy spacer lift鈥 under normal use. By normal I mean mostly daily driven, intermittent off road use, and or very limited heavy trail use? Most people don鈥檛 buy Grand Cherokee鈥檚 to really wheel 鈥榚m heavy off road. I鈥檝e never seen a post or had anyone mention it.
I鈥檓 glad that the Old Man Emu work鈥檚 for you and any other鈥檚 that like it. I would gather from your post that you鈥檝e had a 鈥渃rappy spacer鈥 lift and it鈥檚 failed, and if not why comment on something you have no experience with? I鈥檒l back this up, when I say you鈥檙e set up doesn鈥檛 do anything any better than the RRO spacer lift. Some people think that a name brand mean鈥檚 that it鈥檚 better or it鈥檚 the only way to go to get your point across but if two thing鈥檚 can do the same thing and one does it cheaper why waste your money..? I think we should have 2 or more WK2 owner鈥檚 get together that have each set-up, an Old Man Emu, a Bilstein 5100 adjustable, An RRO 鈥渃rappy spacer鈥 lift a Rough Country 鈥渃rappy spacer鈥 lift and throw in a Tuff Country 鈥淧re-load鈥, 鈥渃rappy spacer鈥 lift. I can鈥檛 bet dollar鈥檚 to doughnut鈥檚 everyone鈥檚 hates the Tuff Country because of the pre-load and they like the RC, RRO, and Bilstein 5100鈥檚 over the old Man Emu because they give the stance you want the upgraded off road ability and do the same thing at a cheaper price. Then they could even do a long term use and see what if any failure鈥檚 result for real world use. I鈥檇 def be up for it as , my knowledge comes from hard won experience. And besides anytime I want to do some real heavy off road would wheelin鈥 I don鈥檛 use our 14 GC Limited, I use use my 12 Power Wagon.

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
You sure do have a lot to say to defend your crappy spacers, which I find funny when someone feels they need to defend their choice that nobody even asked about. Haha
I'm not even sure why you posted when the person is asking about a true lift kit, but you do you and enjoy!!

Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
Stop please! And thanks

Reactions: CHeYeNNe71

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I've learned a lot about spacers, but I'm still waiting for feedback on the OME lift kit.

Registered
I've learned a lot about spacers, but I'm still waiting for feedback on the OME lift kit.
Im running the kit. 2鈥 MD springs it rides great a little stiffer than stock which i wanted. Havent got to take her on a trail yet but i plan to go to either rousch creek or AoAA in PA this December
IMG_6162.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Registered
275/55/20. If and when these do decide to blow. I will switch to dobinsons because those are rebuildable. More expensive but i will probably save more over time

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I'm wondering how the two systems compare performance and durability wise. The OME suspension on my Xterra lasted almost 150K miles without a seriously blown shock or strut.

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
They're probably both comparable since they're both monotube design, outside of Dobinson being rebuildable. In all honesty I almost went Dobinson, but the extra $700 over my Bilstein/OME setup just wasn't worth the money. The rebuildable would be nice, but by the time I might need it, I will probably have another vehicle, or just buy new 5100's at $460 and be good as new and money ahead. It sucks Bilstein hasn't updated new struts for 2016+. Eibach does make them though separate from their suspension lift.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts