Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is for the curious among us who want to know how these cars really work. On my third regen in about ten days and my check engine light went on three days ago.
I'm up to date with all the recalls, the last was the new EGR in March. I've had the car for a year and about 10,000 miles.
The check engine light came on a few months after I bought it and after two trips to the dealer they said a bad sensor but that it was frozen to the cat so they had to replace the cat.
They did not say the cat was bad but when I got the car back it drove WAY better. So I'm wondering who wants to bet on what this will be?
I'm betting it a new EGR...what do you think?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
So this is for the curious among us who want to know how these cars really work. On my third regen in about ten days and my check engine light went on three days ago.
I'm up to date with all the recalls, the last was the new EGR in March. I've had the car for a year and about 10,000 miles.
The check engine light came on a few months after I bought it and after two trips to the dealer they said a bad sensor but that it was frozen to the cat so they had to replace the cat.
They did not say the cat was bad but when I got the car back it drove WAY better. So I'm wondering who wants to bet on what this will be?
I'm betting it a new EGR...what do you think?
I would do a park force regen. you would need alphaobd to do this but it completely does a full dpf clean like the dealer will do first when you bring it in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to the dealer next week but now the check engine light has gone out. Will the code still be there to be read?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Going to the dealer next week but now the check engine light has gone out. Will the code still be there to be read?
code should be stored. Good luck at the dealer. You should really purchase GDE Engine and Trans. Tune. It's a whole new vehicle with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
code should be stored. Good luck at the dealer. You should really purchase GDE Engine and Trans. Tune. It's a whole new vehicle with it.
I was ready to buy it on Monday when the light went on. I want to make sure all is ok with the car before buying the GDE tune. I think I still have three more years of warranty on the emissions system.
Thanks for your help to all with your answers.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I was ready to buy it on Monday when the light went on. I want to make sure all is ok with the car before buying the GDE tune. I think I still have three more years of warranty on the emissions system.
Thanks for your help to all with your answers.
Also don't be afraid to buy GDE after you get the light issue looked at. The GDE could possibly have corrected the issue with the light, but it's best to go dealership first then GDE like you're doing. You won't have any issues with GDE, just always flash to stock before a dealer visit. GDE vs. Stock is Night vs. Day and much less regen time. Have a great rest of your week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also don't be afraid to buy GDE after you get the light issue looked at. The GDE could possibly have corrected the issue with the light, but it's best to go dealership first then GDE like you're doing. You won't have any issues with GDE, just always flash to stock before a dealer visit. GDE vs. Stock is Night vs. Day and much less regen time. Have a great rest of your week.
Chad thanks so much for the info. I have had a huge lack of confidence in this car so have not bought the GDE tune yet. I had one on my last GC Wk diesel...it was awesome along with an aftermarket intercooler. Loved that car but wanted the lower RPM's on the 8 speed transmission and bigger fuel tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Feb and March of this year the '16 Eco remote start would not work on cold start. Worked effortlessly when warm tho. Always started when button pushed from the driver's seat. Check engine light would randomly come on, off - rinse and repeat. Codes read from scanner were various low voltage issues- seemed like a different device/circuit and sensor everytime!
Dash reading was always 14.5V so logically I ordered a battery in early April. Once I got that massive lump out I noticed the chassis negative ground wire bolt was quite loose (but it sure aided getting the battery out of that hole) and after placing the new battery in there I made sure it got snugged up.
Been perfect ever since.
So don't rule out a bad battery.
And get a a trans tune at least, what a game changer.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I had more frequent regens in the winter when we never took any long trips. Then two weeks ago we drove about 600 highway miles in two days and then less than 100 miles later it wanted to to a regen. I had to make two short trips on Saturday and on Sunday I did the normal process of driving 10 miles down the interstate where the speed limit increases from 55 to 75 MPH and the regen complete message went away about half way on the return trip like it always does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts