Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using them and/or what is your opinion?

I have heard people like using Hot Shots EDT on other vehicles.

·
Registered
2015 GC Overland
60 Posts
I have finally got around to using Opti-Lube's Winter formula. I don't know that I notice any improvement with fuel efficiency. But there is definitely a noticeable change in how much quieter the engine sounds. Keep in mind, I have an original GDE tune, so it was always expected to be a bit louder than stock tune.

It's also worth noting that I don't necessarily follow the exact treatment rates. I think we're supposed to add something like 5+ oz. for a full tank. I instead use just the 4 oz. bottle provided for a full tank. And after applying it to my first two full tank fill ups, I dialed it back to the full 4 oz. once every two tanks. I was mostly concerned about keeping injectors clean than I was about fuel efficiency.

Know some Ram buds that swear by Hot Shots EDT. And then of course, you have many who also say there is no value at all in additives. All (or none) of them may be right. Best thing to do is try and feel it out for yourself. Doubtful you'll do any kind of damage with the big name brands out there.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I use Lucas in my old XJ only. Seems to help but could be a placebo effect.

For my '18 WK2 Jeep and my '16 Ford pickup i try to use top tier gas whenever i can and thats it.
Have to go way out of my way to get top tier fuel around here so my vehicles get the top tier treat only occasionally.

Speaking of fuel, has any noticed the price has gone up recently.
A week ago 89 octane was $2.59 a gallon.
Filled up my Ford pickup today at that same station and it was $3.00/gal.
With this new anti-oil regime currently in power i hope the hell it doesn't up again to $4.00 or more.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I dump a couple of 6.75$ cans of Seafoam thru it a year and roll on. Adding additives all the time just drives your cost per mile up...
Got a 17 year old RAM Cummins, never used anything but Seafoam and a little power service in winter. Purrs like a kitten ....

Change your filters that's more important ...

·
Registered
2014 Limited
296 Posts
Berryman’s fuel system treatment that work in the gas or intake. Helps eat the “corn syrup” carmelization and “styrene” left over by today’s gas. BG 44k has a complete system also and is used by a ton of dealership’s when they get back lease cars as do most of the rental car company’s.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Been using Stanadyne Performance Formula for years. Every few tankfuls, especially in the winter. Don't know if it helps, but it is highly rated and it makes me feel better.

·
Registered
vtec mini cooper
10 Posts
I starting using a fuel borne catalyst to help with soot reductions and better mileage, 1/4 oz per 20 gallon Fuel Ox, and economy up 5%, and reduces the amount of regens. I have only used 3 oz so far but I'm going to buy a bigger bottle soon. There is another product from better diesel with similar claims.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I watch all his stuff and he does fair testing.

I've only used 1/4 tank in the new to me 2016 Eco and getting a measly 16.5mpg so far. Prolly 20% is idling while fiddling around in the driveway....
I did fill it with expensive Shell Gold? grade and will be loading an emissions tune soon,so no history.
Today's fuels are leaps better than ever - running additives aren't necessarily required anymore. I will add some seafoam prior to next oil change this summer tho.
I understand the emissions and understand the reasoning but these engines are great designs - adding lightness doesn't make them gross polluters when properly tuned- just makes them less problematic...
That's why I bought one!

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,759 Posts
For old gassers I would use an occasional additive, octane boost, STP gas treatment, carb cleaner and what not. For this CRD I am keeping her stock and by the book. Regular oil changes, and filters too. Regular maintenance.

Interesting discussion, I'll keep an eye on it. I am fortunate to live where I get renewable diesel regularly, almost exclusively. Propel HPR. So I think that has been helping. It is also 'by the book'.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am thinking more along the lines of helping the crank bearings go a bit longer as this seems to be a weak point - at least with the 1500 folks, I keep seeing posts about bearing failures with them.

I do change my oil every 10,000km (6200 miles) thinking it can't hurt - having the EGR turned off seems to have increased the range on the oil life indicator though.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am thinking more along the lines of helping the crank bearings go a bit longer as this seems to be a weak point - at least with the 1500 folks, I keep seeing posts about bearing failures with them.

I do change my oil every 10,000km (6200 miles) thinking it can't hurt - having the EGR turned off seems to have increased the range on the oil life indicator though.
Best thing you can do for these motors. Which tune did you go with?

·
Registered
2014 JGC Overland
122 Posts
Is anyone using them and/or what is your opinion?

I have heard people like using Hot Shots EDT on other vehicles.
My mechanic, suggested I use Diesel Clean, which is recommended by Cumming, after I was having a lot of soot build up and regens (pre AEM updates). I put it in every other tank, and it seems to help. Could be my imagination.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts