Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 2021 Grand Cherokee 80th Anniversary 4*4 V6 (Anniv Model is based on Limited Model) at the end of September. It is in D1 status in the order system and I have the VIN.

I was considering a Limited or North Edition in 2020. The North Edition seems to be gone in 2021, and I preferred the Anniv model over the limited in 2021.

I will be setting this up to tow behind my diesel pusher motorhome (rated for plenty of GCC to tow the WK2)..

Back in the day I owned 2 Isuzu Troopers, and have owned one Subaru WRX hatchback AWD.

I won't be doing any real offoading, just some dirt roads, maybe logging roads, and sand beaches. But I do need the 2 speed transfer case to use the neutral for towing it behind the motorhome.

As to potential off roading, the Anniv model has no skid plates and 20" wheels (I actually would have preferred 18" wheels, but the rest of the package won me over).

·
Super Moderator
9,019 Posts
Congrats! And you can easily add skids and move to 18" wheels if you want to. Plenty of discussion about those things in the relevant sub-forums above.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I ordered a 2021 Grand Cherokee 80th Anniversary 4*4 V6 (Anniv Model is based on Limited Model) at the end of September. It is in D1 status in the order system and I have the VIN.

I was considering a Limited or North Edition in 2020. The North Edition seems to be gone in 2021, and I preferred the Anniv model over the limited in 2021.

I will be setting this up to tow behind my diesel pusher motorhome (rated for plenty of GCC to tow the WK2)..

Back in the day I owned 2 Isuzu Troopers, and have owned one Subaru WRX hatchback AWD.

I won't be doing any real offoading, just some dirt roads, maybe logging roads, and sand beaches. But I do need the 2 speed transfer case to use the neutral for towing it behind the motorhome.

As to potential off roading, the Anniv model has no skid plates and 20" wheels (I actually would have preferred 18" wheels, but the rest of the package won me over).
Not to rain on your parade but too bad that you didn't order the 5.7L HEMI. It's well worth the extra cost and minimum loss of MPG.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For a Jeep lover, not much more exciting than pulling the trigger on a factory order. Now the hard part: waiting for your present. Since FCA killed the order tracking option for individuals, my salesman sure got tired of me on my last factory order!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not to rain on your parade but too bad that you didn't order the 5.7L HEMI. It's well worth the extra cost and minimum loss of MPG.
I hope you can understand that this has been debated forever, and in my opinion unless you plan on towing a significant weight, V6 vs. V8 is purely a matter of personal preference. Some people can't live without the extra oomph of the hemi and don't mind paying a premium on the purchase price and at the gas pump for that, and that's ok. Some people are perfectly happy with the pep of the V6 and are just as happy to save a healthy chunk on the price and at the pump, and that's ok. Don't crap on the dude's parade just because he has a different set of priorities than you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Did you use the affiliate program to buy? If you have a Freightliner Chassis motorhome (like I do) you can join the Freightliner club and then get an affiliate number. I have a Tiffin Phaeton and a v6 Grand Cherokee. I am very happy with the the V6 its very powerful!!

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,159 Posts
I hope you can understand that this has been debated forever, and in my opinion unless you plan on towing a significant weight, V6 vs. V8 is purely a matter of personal preference. Some people can't live without the extra oomph of the hemi and don't mind paying a premium on the purchase price and at the gas pump for that, and that's ok. Some people are perfectly happy with the pep of the V6 and are just as happy to save a healthy chunk on the price and at the pump, and that's ok. Don't crap on the dude's parade just because he has a different set of priorities than you.
100% Agree!!

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,021 Posts
100% Agree!!
Yup, the reason they sell so many v6 jeeps (and 4 cyl other cars) is because many (most?) people are happy with the performance provided. It may be hard to believe but there was a time not all that long ago when 8 second 0-60 was considered outstanding performance. My first car took nearly 20 seconds to go 0-60.

·
Registered
2020 Slate Blue High Altitude
44 Posts
The hemi 5.7l is overrated. Especially when paired with these take too long between shifts transmissions.
I might be a little biased for power coming from a Camaro with the 6.2l and transmissions that shift in milliseconds though. LOL
The v6 is peppy enough for what it is. Hence me buying the v6 and not the hemi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The on line specs for the 2021 GC anniversary model does not list the hemi as a option. It may be there on the order banks, it may not.

I had fast cars and motorcycles for much of my life, starting at age 16. Many of them WAY faster than a 5400 pound 360 HP vehicle. And I don't need the additional torque for my usage.

I am 64 years old and been there done that. The Pentastar is a VERY capable and long lasting engine. I don't need the weight, complexity, power, and fuel hit on the hemi.

I'm retired, less than 8,000 miles per year driving our car, another 6 to 8,000 miles on our motorhome with the car in tow. Motorhome has 1450 ft lbs torque.

I didn't order the GC lights upgrade either, as I no longer have any need nor desire to drive at night. No panaromic sunroof - don't want the hassle of potential leaks and wouldn't use it much anyway. And no quadralift potential problems , which is one reason for my model choice.

We all have our own preferences, based on needs, wants, and usage. And some folks do zero research in advance, walk into a dealership, and have a salesman run up the tab on the order.

I researched this purchase for nearly 2 years, through the 2019 and 2020 model years, before pulling the trigger on a 2021. Did my research, made my choice. To each his own.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,159 Posts
What color did you order? Sorry if I missed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Velvet Red. I preferred granite, wife preferred velvet red. I didn't care that much so let her pick the color.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,159 Posts
I had the Granite before in my Rubicon and RAM, very nice color, but the Velvet Red will look great, especially in the sun. I bought used so my color choice was limited because of the budget I set.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The on line specs for the 2021 GC anniversary model does not list the hemi as a option. It may be there on the order banks, it may not.

I had fast cars and motorcycles for much of my life, starting at age 16. Many of them WAY faster than a 5400 pound 360 HP vehicle. And I don't need the additional torque for my usage.

I am 64 years old and been there done that. The Pentastar is a VERY capable and long lasting engine. I don't need the weight, complexity, power, and fuel hit on the hemi.

I'm retired, less than 8,000 miles per year driving our car, another 6 to 8,000 miles on our motorhome with the car in tow. Motorhome has 1450 ft lbs torque.

I didn't order the GC lights upgrade either, as I no longer have any need nor desire to drive at night. No panaromic sunroof - don't want the hassle of potential leaks and wouldn't use it much anyway. And no quadralift potential problems , which is one reason for my model choice.

We all have our own preferences, based on needs, wants, and usage. And some folks do zero research in advance, walk into a dealership, and have a salesman run up the tab on the order.

I researched this purchase for nearly 2 years, through the 2019 and 2020 model years, before pulling the trigger on a 2021. Did my research, made my choice. To each his own.

BANG!
Well said.
A vehicle is as useful and appropriate in as much as it fits the needs of the owner.
Zero else matters. Buy what you like, buy what you need, enjoy the ride.
I'm a big fan of the Grand Cherokee and as a first time Jeep owner, I secretly think I got in at just the right time in it's development.
Not sure I would have loved it quite so much 10 years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got 2019 Trailhawk V6, really nice car. The V8 would be even more fun, but the V6 feels world class. Maybe it's the air suspension!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Loved my V-6 2013 Overland, 2wd. It'll be a hard act to follow. Bought 2020 Overland Hemi 4wd. Lots of highway miles so the MPG should be close and I get the extra fun and torque when needed. If the punch and pull isn't needed, the V-6 is great!

·
Super Moderator
9,019 Posts
Loved my V-6 2013 Overland, 2wd.
You would have loved the current generation V6 even more with the 8-speed transmission. Very noticable difference over that old five speed.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
3 Posts
You would have loved the current generation V6 even more with the 8-speed transmission. Very noticable difference over that old five speed.
It really is a massive difference. When my wife and I were considering a WK2, I test drove my mother-in-law's 2013 Limited V6. The V6 / 5 speed auto combination was pretty anemic. It was unrefined, unimpressive, and overall just disappointing compared to modern competitive powertrains. After that, I was dead set on finding a HEMI model. I couldn't live with the dreadfully slow V6. For reference, my daily driver is a 2015 Chevy SS with a 6 speed manual, so I'm used to a fast car.

Then we test drove a new Limited with the improved PUG V6 and 850RE 8 speed. It's like a completely different powertrain. It feels decently torquey and untaxed under normal driving, and has just enough passing power and top end acceleration to not feel slow. We ended up with a 2019 V6 Limited 4x4. I'd still love to have the HEMI, but I just couldn't justify the higher purchase price, availability, and fuel cost. We live in NJ on flat land near sea level, and at most tow a couple of jet skis. I was afraid that the V6 would feel like a compromise, but it really doesn't.

Interestingly, for 2021 Jeep doesn't offer the HEMI on the Limited trim.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It really is a massive difference. When my wife and I were considering a WK2, I test drove my mother-in-law's 2013 Limited V6. The V6 / 5 speed auto combination was pretty anemic. It was unrefined, unimpressive, and overall just disappointing compared to modern competitive powertrains. After that, I was dead set on finding a HEMI model. I couldn't live with the dreadfully slow V6. For reference, my daily driver is a 2015 Chevy SS with a 6 speed manual, so I'm used to a fast car.

Then we test drove a new Limited with the improved PUG V6 and 850RE 8 speed. It's like a completely different powertrain. It feels decently torquey and untaxed under normal driving, and has just enough passing power and top end acceleration to not feel slow. We ended up with a 2019 V6 Limited 4x4. I'd still love to have the HEMI, but I just couldn't justify the higher purchase price, availability, and fuel cost. We live in NJ on flat land near sea level, and at most tow a couple of jet skis. I was afraid that the V6 would feel like a compromise, but it really doesn't.

Interestingly, for 2021 Jeep doesn't offer the HEMI on the Limited trim.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You're exactly right. I rented a 2020 Limited V6 and drive it 4,000 miles in one month, loved it. Definitely a difference in performance with the 8-speed over the 5. I went with the Hemi/4wd for some expected winter driving outside of TX and towing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts