Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're exactly right. I rented a 2020 Limited V6 and drive it 4,000 miles in one month, loved it. Definitely a difference in performance with the 8-speed over the 5. I went with the Hemi/4wd for some expected winter driving outside of TX and towing.
I do understand a Hemi for towing ~ but keep in mind that more horsepower in winter / snow / icy conditions is not your friend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hemi is no longer an option nor available on Limited nor Limited Annivesary model. Have to go higher trim level for it, which also means quadralift required.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,164 Posts
I wonder why they dropped the HEMI option for those models. Seems strange.

·
Super Moderator
9,025 Posts
I wonder why they dropped the HEMI option for those models. Seems strange.
Probably demand oriented....but not unusual for an auto manufacturer to "steer" buyers to higher-margin, higher trim levels with features. Relative to demand, the vast majority of JGC buyers don't really care about a more thirsty engine option that adds thousands to the cost of the vehicle. So you're left with just folks who tow heavy and folks who are enthusiasts wanting the HEMI, especially given that the V6 and 8 speed perform pretty darn well compared to "back in the day". So those folks will get steered toward the higher trim levels. Folks who tow heavy often already buy up-scale. Enthusiasts? As generations turn over, there is less and less appreciation for the big engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You would have loved the current generation V6 even more with the 8-speed transmission. Very noticable difference over that old five speed.
Agree 100%. I have a 2021 Limited with V6/8-spd and love it. I was a little concerned that it might not perform as well as the 2016 Mercedes GLC it replaced, but I needed a more competent tow vehicle. The GLC turbo 4 had more torque, but less hp, and a 9-spd. But the Jeep with its (also German-designed) 8-spd transmission and the V6 is an excellent pairing and performs every bit as well as the Mercedes GLC.

BTW I priced out a 2021 Mercedes GLE -- uses the same engine/tranny combo as the GLC but with higher tow capacity -- and found that, equipped like my Limited, the sticker is $81,000. My Limited sticker with every option except power folding mirrors (not available on the Limited): $52,375 not including the $2,000 Jeep retail bonus.

·
Super Moderator
9,025 Posts
In case you didn't know a little piece of trivia, guido5, the current generation of the JGC shares the same platform as the Merc ML350 and its iterations. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, Jim. I'm also in PA. Yeah, I did know about the M-B connection. In fact, the M-Class successor, the GLE, continues to use variants of the same platform (W166 in Mercedes-speak). I see a lot of other overlap, too -- wiper stalk, seat controls, and the seat itself being a firmer type and contoured just like my GLC. I was told today's JGC seat design evolved from the Mercedes E-Class. There's one similarity that I'm glad does not exist. That's the infotainment system. Jeep has mastered the ease with which such systems can be navigated. My 2016 GLC completely failed in that regard and was a nightmare to use.

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,692 Posts
My first car took nearly 20 seconds to go 0-60.
Oh Jim, you haven't lived until you've owned a 1980s VW Vanagon with the diesel engine. Let me tell you... 0-60 in well over 60 seconds.

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,692 Posts
@AC7880 congrats and welcome to the family! And if I were going to buy gas (mine is CRD), I too would've bought the V6. Nice choice. As to hitting the trails, mine came with 20" wheels and you can do some trails on those wheels. I put 90,000 miles on my JGC before deciding to switch to 18" wheels (40K on my 2014 then 50K on my 2016), and many of those miles were off road - I estimate I do 1% of total miles on trails, so that's about 900 miles offroading on 20" wheels. It can be done, carefully.

If you're not already aware, be careful while parallel parking next to curbs. It can be easy to scuff the wheels with low profile tires. Yes, I know, I know.

I would encourage you to explore off-roading in your JGC. This is my first Jeep and it's my daily driver, so I'm careful when exploring its limits (I try to be anyway...), and if you are new to off-roading and you do take a class or two, I think you will be very impressed by what our rigs can do.

Welcome again, and congrats!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts