Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all my first post here. Thanks in advance from Australia!
Have 2015 JGC Overland Quadralift (V6 Ecco diesel). We have just completed an extensive trip towing a 3.2T (7000lb) caravan. At the trips end she developed a loud thumping banging noise in the rear end (under rear passenger seats) when pulling really hard. Sounds as if the rear diff is going to jump out. Stops when I ease off the power. Had the rear tail-shaft and center support bearing replaced under warranty once home. Still does it and its ripping up the support bearing rubber again. Going in again tomorrow as it has the local Jeep guys stumped. Does not do it without the trailer. No grinding or diff whining or unusual sounds just loud thumping with vibrations when loaded up.
Its going to be trial and error but they will fully check all the shafts CVs etc.
30,000 miles on the clock.
Anyone seen this?
Cheers
John :mad:

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,556 Posts
Hi all my first post here. Thanks in advance from Australia!
Have 2015 JGC Overland Quadralift (V6 Ecco diesel). We have just completed an extensive trip towing a 3.2T (7000lb) caravan. At the trips end she developed a loud thumping banging noise in the rear end (under rear passenger seats) when pulling really hard. Sounds as if the rear diff is going to jump out. Stops when I ease off the power. Had the rear tail-shaft and center support bearing replaced under warranty once home. Still does it and its ripping up the support bearing rubber again. Going in again tomorrow as it has the local Jeep guys stumped. Does not do it without the trailer. No grinding or diff whining or unusual sounds just loud thumping with vibrations when loaded up.
Its going to be trial and error but they will fully check all the shafts CVs etc.
30,000 miles on the clock.
Anyone seen this?
Cheers
John :mad:
Shot in the dark but it sounds a bit like the driveshaft angles have gotten severely out of kilter when the trailer loads it down in back OR one or more of the rear u joint/CV joints has gone bad. Perhaps the self-leveling system is not working and is allow the rear to drop too much?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fix?
We are on our 3rd rear drive shaft! Jeep replaced the original tail-shaft and the new one lasted a week. Same vibration and noise. The mechanic showed me that driveshaft and the front CV is jamming up causing the drive shaft to vibrate and wreck the center support bearing under load.
We will tow the van shortly to see how the new shaft goes. I cant believe we got 2 bad shafts! Especially as the was no spares in Australia until we got our problem.
Read reports of the front drive-shaft CV's but nothing about the rear ones.
Fingers crossed!
John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quick update. We have just road tested another known good driveshaft number 4 (tail-shaft) borrowed off another JGC. Well you wouldn't believe it, no more vibrations while towing!
How many crook new tail-shafts are out there? This has been frustrating and time consuming. Apparently Jeep might have changed Vendors. I feel like I'm in a testing program. Just want to get going in the caravan.
The local Jeep mechanics have been just brilliant.
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts