Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Limited, 3.6L
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’ve had the dreaded CEL for an Evap leak going on a month now. (P0456 and P0456pd). In the years I’ve owned, I generally have gotten the light once a year, but it turns off after 4-7 days or so. Not this time.

I’ve done a lot of searching on jeepgarage, as well as the web in general. Based on what I’ve found, I’ve replaced the ESIM and the purge valve, and also checked as many hoses under the hood as I can for any tears/breaks. Nothing I’ve done yet has gotten the light to shut off.

The one area that concerns me is the capless fuel fill. The ‘14s have a notoriously bad setup, always kind of loose and rickety (Jeep has apparently updated the assembly several times since then). Then, last year when I had to stop for gas in NJ once, the fuel attendant (NJ is full service only) messed up the fill worse than it was. If you look at the photos below, you can see that there are what appear to be broken areas in the plastic around the fill hole itself. As a result, the capless fuel filler housing (part 68210536AB) isn’t tight at all when installed; it’s wobbling badly, especially from the top right area.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Does anyone know if that part (the “capless fuel filler housing”) isn’t seated nice and firm, can it result in Evap codes? I’m not clear if the fill hole itself with its flap is effectively airtight, or the housing is an integral part of making sure the system is properly sealed. FWIW, I have also put a vinyl cap (you can see it on the side in the second photo) onto the housing, but to no avail -- it doesn’t come down far enough to cover the area where the housing meets the fill hole rim (where the arrow is pointing in pic 2).

Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can’t answer your question myself.

However - I can’t remember the exact codes that I get once a year or two, but they point towards an evap leak. I’ll spray some WD-40 around the capless filler and work it around good by opening and closing it several times until it’s nice and smooth. So far that has taken care of it each time. Perhaps coincidence, luck, or actually doing it some good. Not sure, but it has worked for me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had that code on my 2019 GC, cleared it and it stayed off for months then came back. Cleared it and it came back quickly. Still under warranty, the dealer found a bad O-ring in the fuel pump.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the 2nd picture is not a big deal, it's only a rubber cover.
The 1st one shows the tab completly broken... mine had one left and I glued both parts together with RTV back in 2016 and is still holding.
For the codes, I was under the impression the "flap" on the 1st picture was getting this thing airtight and not the 68210536AB... what I'm saying here is this might not be the problem

Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Cameras & optics Material property

·
Registered
2014 Limited, 3.6L
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Coolspot! I tend to agree that it is likely the flap in the hole itself that creates "airtightness" and that the looseness of 68210536AB probably isn't the cause of the code.

One other question -- how did you pull the left part in your picture out of the Jeep?

·
Registered
2014 Limited, 3.6L
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

However - I can’t remember the exact codes that I get once a year or two, but they point towards an evap leak. I’ll spray some WD-40 around the capless filler and work it around good by opening and closing it several times until it’s nice and smooth. So far that has taken care of it each time. Perhaps coincidence, luck, or actually doing it some good. Not sure, but it has worked for me.
Leroy, you son of a gun, you appear to have solved my problem!!

I sprayed the hole and its flap (i.e., my picture #1) with WD-40 and left it for awhile. Came back and rubbed a rag and a gloved finger around in there. Started it up shortly after -- light off immediately!

Now, I know that the light can take a couple cycles to turn off, so it's difficult to say for sure that what I JUST did was in fact the reason. The last other meaningful thing I did was tape up an area of the hose under the hood just off the purge valve that didn't have any obvious break or tear, but seemed a possible point of weakness. That was yesterday afternoon, and this was probably the 5th time starting it up after that. Still, I give you the credit!

Just wish I had tried this easiest of solutions first instead of spending some $70 on other stuff needlessly. Thank you again!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you Coolspot! I tend to agree that it is likely the flap in the hole itself that creates "airtightness" and that the looseness of 68210536AB probably isn't the cause of the code.

One other question -- how did you pull the left part in your picture out of the Jeep?
I did not, it's a picture from an Ebay listing from 2016.

·
Registered
JGC
26 Posts

However - I can’t remember the exact codes that I get once a year or two, but they point towards an evap leak. I’ll spray some WD-40 around the capless filler andCit several times until it’s nice and smooth. So far that has taken care of it each time. Perhaps coincidence, luck, or actually doing it some good. Not sure, but it has worked for me.
I have a 2018 that just started throwing the same code. My first thought was the capless filler neck as a possible culprit. So by

I have a 2018 that just started throwing the same code. My first thought was the capless filler neck as a possible culprit. So by "work it around good by opening and closing" you just pushed the flapper back and forth a few times?
Thanks for your input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts