Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for new brakes. Checked with dealer and they use Magneti Marelli parts. They seem to be OEM. Got 78,000 miles in the originals. Had about 30% left but had an inside front pad break need to do the fronts. Are the MM's any good?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,266 Posts
I'm running PowerStop rotors and Z36 pads on mine. I've been extremely happy with their performance. I have almost 10k miles on them since replacing this past spring. The pads do shift some in the carrier and cause a small clunk when changing direction but I've gotten used to that.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,989 Posts
The OEM Pads are Akebone....
FCA has introduced a "Vale Line" of brake pads and rotors in the Dealer part system, that are not the OEM hardware, they are inexpensive aftermarket brake hardware, which the Dealer charges less than OEM but far more than if you just purchase them from an aftermarket source....

To few people know this, take their vehicles to the Dealer assuming they are getting exact OEM, so they never stipulate to use exact "OEM", and the Dealer doesn't tell them and they save a few bucks but wonder why the brakes don't perform nearly as well as they did before....

Perhaps the Value Line is supplied by Magneti Marelli? Or perhaps they supply the OEM Rotors? OEM Pads, I have found reference after reference that they are supplied by Akebone. Perhaps the one Dealer you spoke to uses aftermarket parts for brake jobs...

You can't rule out it's some Dealer bumpkin that wants to sound authoritative, and doesn't know that FCA has changed brake parts suppliers a dozen times since "say" 20 years ago when Magneti Marelli might have been the supplier....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts