Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
It is probably some wax they put on the car. That is too cheap of a price for it to be a clear bra which typically cost $500-1000 for a quality install. Ask them what it is, if it is not a clear bra make them take it off the invoice!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Profit.

Look at the item above (spare tire lock). At least in the 2011 the spare tire is only access from inside the car, thus not needed.

A dealer near me wanted $1,000 extra on every vehicle (pin stripe, wheel locks, some coating for paint/interior). Basically all high profit items. Real cost after market would have been 200-300.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Profit.

Look at the item above (spare tire lock). At least in the 2011 the spare tire is only access from inside the car, thus not needed.

A dealer near me wanted $1,000 extra on every vehicle (pin stripe, wheel locks, some coating for paint/interior). Basically all high profit items. Real cost after market would have been 200-300.
Spare tire is inside on the 14's too. At least I didn't get charged for that.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Little background info: I was going thru paperwork AFTER I purchased vehicle and found this.

·
Registered
Cherokee
1,809 Posts
surely its not that little piece of 3M they put on the rear door is it?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you want your money back, I would go back and tell the manager that this charge was snuck into the deal without you knowing. Threaten to post your experience on social media outlets etc. It may be tough to get your money back, but maybe they will give you a credit of $195 towards service at the dealer or something.

·
Registered
Cherokee
1,809 Posts
I'm looking through my paper work to see if I see anything similar.Although I think those are from the factory....... nope nothing....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want your money back, I would go back and tell the manager that this charge was snuck into the deal without you knowing. Threaten to post your experience on social media outlets etc. It may be tough to get your money back, but maybe they will give you a credit of $195 towards service at the dealer or something.
I am not even sure I paid for it. If I did it was definitely snuck in there.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
E-mail response from dealer:

"Paint shielding is basically a wax system used to protect the car. The paint shiedling was not done on your car because it was a factory order. You weren't charged for it (I double checked to be sure.) If it's something you are interested in, we can certainly have it done for you for the $195."

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
E-mail response from dealer:

"Paint shielding is basically a wax system used to protect the car. The paint shiedling was not done on your car because it was a factory order. You weren't charged for it (I double checked to be sure.) If it's something you are interested in, we can certainly have it done for you for the $195."
Pretty pricey wax job! :eek:

·
Registered
Cherokee
1,809 Posts
I had Quantum put on my Jeep every time I wash it it looks like new. paint always looks glassy. Of course it is only 9 months old... and its a 2012 LOL

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
That's called them making profit.
Car dealers make a profit on every car they sell. The image posted above is called ripping off the customer with unwanted added on bull$*#@.

Whenever I go through dealer lots and see crap like that added on to vehicles I think to myself "well, I will never do business here".

·
Registered
783 Posts
There's this one company that has been buying up most of the local dealers that does this. They dress up most of the cars by adding rims, vinyl strips, and things that you can't even tell they added like the waxing. Then they place a paper next to the window sticker with the markup stuff they put on the cars charging an outrageous amount for what they added.. I tried dealing with them once and when I told them to take off all that extra crap since I wasn't paying for it, but they refused and lost a deal. Never going back to them and I feel bad for the people who buy from them and fall for their bs.

·
Registered
Cherokee
1,809 Posts
There's this one company that has been buying up most of the local dealers that does this. They dress up most of the cars by adding rims, vinyl strips, and things that you can't even tell they added like the waxing. Then they place a paper next to the window sticker with the markup stuff they put on the cars charging an outrageous amount for what they added.. I tried dealing with them once and when I told them to take off all that extra crap since I wasn't paying for it, but they refused and lost a deal. Never going back to them and I feel bad for the people who buy from them and fall for their bs.

When I was shopping for my12, I had noticed that my local dealership had the chrome dress up kit added on a plain white sheet of paper on some of the base Laredo's and were charging a 600 for the added kit. It included wheel skins and plastic mirror covers that stuck on with wheels and mirrors with 3m. IMO the 11-13 WK2 Laredo wheels (non x) were bad enough, then they threw plastic chrome wheel skins on them. nightmare.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Dealers will typically do this to the "new hotness". When the Genesis Coupe came out, the dealership in Palm Beach Gardens got a loaded out Track V6 model in. They then proceeded to put "$15k" worth of stuff on it (wheels/tires, stick on emblems, etc.) and priced the car at like $48k with no negotiation. I asked why the hell they'd do such a thing, their response was "Someone will come in here and want it and just buy it." I was just blow away someone would pay G37 money for a GenCoupe.

Sure enough, within 2 weeks it was sold. I wouldn't have bought it, but I'm also not gonna tell the dealership how to run their business. It's supply and demand, and if the demand is high enough, and they choose to mark their cars up, go for it.

It's at least a little better than a "market price adjustment". At least with this you ostensibly get something.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Paint shielding? LOL. Wtf is that? I bet no one applied anything to that car. Dealerships are the biggest scammers in the world.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts