Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

DIY caliper paint or professionally paint

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, I reached out to an auto detailer that does vinyl wraps, wheel/caliper painting, etc and asked about painting the calipers on my 2015 JGC HA. They gave me a price of $250. I had additional questions but then they ghosted me! A week later, I decide I would just do it myself. I ordered a G2 kit, caliper brush and new jack stands. Everything was less than $100. Today, 3 weeks later, the shop gets back to me with the answers to my questions. Now do I go ahead and let them “professionally” paint them for $250 or just go ahead and DIY it?

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
669 Posts
Stay with DIY and save the money. Plenty of Youtube videos if you're not sure. I'll be doing mine once temps lower in Az. Are you doing red? I'll be doing blue myself.

·
Registered
2014 GC/Overland V8
3,293 Posts
A few weeks ago, I reached out to an auto detailer that does vinyl wraps, wheel/caliper painting, etc and asked about painting the calipers on my 2015 JGC HA. They gave me a price of $250. I had additional questions but then they ghosted me! A week later, I decide I would just do it myself. I ordered a G2 kit, caliper brush and new jack stands. Everything was less than $100. Today, 3 weeks later, the shop gets back to me with the answers to my questions. Now do I go ahead and let them “professionally” paint them for $250 or just go ahead and DIY it?
It depends on how you felt about the business and how you were treated. You could do it yourself yes but you’re paying extra for peace of mind and repercussions if the paint fails because they did the job.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It depends on how you felt about the business and how you were treated. You could do it yourself yes but you’re paying extra for peace of mind and repercussions if the paint fails because they did the job.
If they responded to me in a timely manner, I would have definitely went with them. I follow them on Instagram and it looks like they do good work. But when I started getting all of the supplies together, I really got excited about doing it myself....until they finally got back to me and now I’m conflicted.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Jeez $250 to paint calipers when a $10 can of rattle can paint will do the job.
If you do it yourself, make sure to degrease the calipers thoroughly preferably using acetone until squeaky clean.
Might want to use a compatible self etching primer before the final top coat.
I'd suggest using paint especially formulated for wheels if you can find it in the desired color, they're a much more durable paint.

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,806 Posts
Jeez $250 to paint calipers when a $10 can of rattle can paint will do the job.
If you do it yourself, make sure to degrease the calipers thoroughly preferably using acetone until squeaky clean.
Might want to use a compatible self etching primer before the final top coat.
I'd suggest using paint especially formulated for wheels if you can find it in the desired color, they're a much more durable paint.

Are you sure about using self-etching primer? I used to think that was the thing to use but read something recently that said it was the wrong thing if you are going to directly spray paint over it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Been using Rustoleum self etching primer then a top coat for years.
In the paint world, the word 'primer' says it all.

Further from the Rustoleum self etching primer paint can:
Dry and Re-coat times
Dries to touch in 10 minutes and dries to handle in 15-30 minutes at 70*F (21*C) at 50% relative humidity.
Top coat after 30 minutes. Allow more time at cooler temperatures.
As with any primer the only cautionary thing to consider is to make sure the primer is compatible with the top coat paint.
For example some paints typically older enamels are not compatible with lacquer based paints.
The lacquer could dissolve the enamel in that case.
Should not be a problem with most modern primers and paints but If unsure, just test both on a piece of scrap metal.

Just a few days ago i had to fabricate and weld up a seat support bracket which broke on my lawn tractor.
Sand blasted it, wiped it down with acetone, applied the Rustleum self etching primer then a top coat of Rustoleum wheel paint.
The paint came out perfect but more importantly it works.
Now for the bad news, now i've got no excuse not to mow my lawn which generally takes 3 hrs. :mad:

Reactions: Guts

·
Registered
2014 GC/Overland V8
3,293 Posts
If they responded to me in a timely manner, I would have definitely went with them. I follow them on Instagram and it looks like they do good work. But when I started getting all of the supplies together, I really got excited about doing it myself....until they finally got back to me and now I’m conflicted.
The 250 will give you peace of mind and recourse in case the paint fails for some reason. Spend that extra time with your family or on the golf course. Your back will thank you for the 250 spent.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
669 Posts
You already spent the coin, Just Get'R Dun! (y)(y)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
The 250 will give you peace of mind and recourse in case the paint fails for some reason. Spend that extra time with your family or on the golf course. Your back will thank you for the 250 spent.
The only peace of mind IMO is saving way over $200.
Far as the family is concerned, the wife should be ecstatic saving that money....hopefully!
Jeez, its not that big of a deal to paint calipers and can be a fun project to keep one out of trouble.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I painted an entire CJ5 myself. It’s not perfect, but it’s good enough for me and it looks great from 20 feet away. Very few people are going to get down on their knees to critique your paint job. Have fun and feel the accomplishment.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I painted an entire CJ5 myself. It’s not perfect, but it’s good enough for me and it looks great from 20 feet away. Very few people are going to get down on their knees to critique your paint job. Have fun and feel the accomplishment.
Yeah i painted the entire lower bottom of my XJ up to the trim pieces with truck bed liner same with the rear bumper.
Debating on whether to give the front bumper the bed liner treatment as it has a lot of rock nicks and dings.

Also painted all 4 wheels and rear brake drums on my XJ and my long gone Dodge Neon's wheels (good riddance).
You're right about the feeling of DIY accomplishments.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
32 Posts
As a shop owner myself I don’t really understand how they came up with a 250 dollar price tag for some caliper paint....did you suggest a custom candy color mixed with a few ounces of ppg pearl! Wether you paint it or they do it rest assure it will be done with a rattle can and there’s nothing wrong with that if you go over the calipers with a wire brush attached to a drill and get them clean wash them down in lacquer thinner or acetone shoot on some primer then paint and clear coat “VHT” is a brand you can find at any local parts store that’s a brand I know personally and can recommend your not limited to colors that say caliper pain it just needs to be rated for high temperature there gonna look the same just with a lot more money in your pocket that’s the proper prep work to do it right but honestly I’ve seen guys just spray them flat out during a brake job or something like that and they still didn’t turn out half bad I’m just a perfectionist myself so I can’t cut the corners

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
669 Posts
As a shop owner myself I don’t really understand how they came up with a 250 dollar price tag for some caliper paint...
My guess was $50 per corner labor and $50 materials That's at least a good 2-3 hour job depending how much clean up they do.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
32 Posts
My guess was $50 per corner labor and $50 materials That's at least a good 2-3 hour job depending how much clean up they do.
Yeah I agree with drying time it should take around 2 hours, but you have to name a price the customers going to appreciate you for don’t get me wrong quality isn’t free & free isn’t quality but there’s limitations to what you can really charge someone for a simple task....there demanding top dollar and they have what sounds like garbage service so that’s my stand on it I make a lot more money off of repeat happy customers and then telling this person and that person that I was very fair with them on pricing along with a quality repair or modification then I ever would of by gouging someone and having them never come back

·
Registered
2014 GC/Overland V8
3,293 Posts
The only peace of mind IMO is saving way over $200.
Far as the family is concerned, the wife should be ecstatic saving that money....hopefully!
Jeez, its not that big of a deal to paint calipers and can be a fun project to keep one out of trouble.
It’s not that big of deal for you... for some it may be.

·
Registered
2014 GC/Overland V8
3,293 Posts
Yeah I agree with drying time it should take around 2 hours, but you have to name a price the customers going to appreciate you for don’t get me wrong quality isn’t free & free isn’t quality but there’s limitations to what you can really charge someone for a simple task....there demanding top dollar and they have what sounds like garbage service so that’s my stand on it I make a lot more money off of repeat happy customers and then telling this person and that person that I was very fair with them on pricing along with a quality repair or modification then I ever would of by gouging someone and having them never come back
Makes perfect sense... you treat people well and they will return.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
It’s not that big of deal for you... for some it may be.
Here's my own personal take on this whole DIY thing.
Everytime i tackle a project i have no previous experience with, yeah it can be a PITA.
However when the project is finally completed its called a learning experience and just as important a great feeling of accomplishment.
There were those few times i made mistakes which required a frustrating 4-letter worded redo but with the final effect of doubling the learning experience.

Whenever i take on one of those projects there's always a 'point of no return' which further increases the motivation and energy to successfully complete the project.

Here's an excerpt from a speech given by President John Kennedy which has always been an inspiration for me:

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts