Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to paint the inside of the Non-SRT HID headlights in order the make them look like the SRT version with the black bezel inside?
I love the SRT version but not the price tag lol they’re a substantial amount more. I know you can tint them but they just don’t look the same imo.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Wouldn't you need to open the fixture, i.e. split the two halves apart?

Someone posted on another thread that baking the headlamp in the fixture at the lowest setting will soften the glue enough to be able to pull the two parts apart without damaging them.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i've been interested in this as well. i have a spare light that i might practice on in the future. if i get around to it, i'll post.

·
Registered
260 Posts
To add to that..

Disassemble entire headlight. Projectors...side marker......heck....check with Clearz.. Google them....they might have a white side marker for JGC's now.

Clean throughly. Use a good plastic primer and then paint desired color. Multiple light coats works best. I usually wet sanded between coats just to make sure next coat would adhere. Sanding in the cracks and corners is a little tricky but just be patient and find what works best. Allow ample time between coats to assure proper bonding with paint.

I have not done any JGC's specifically, but I have painted over chrome coated housings. Patientance and primer work wonders.

There are plenty of places that do this work daily....Retro Customz.....Plain N Simple...just to name a few. Usual wait time is 2 to 3 weeks and prices usually start at $500 for just paint.

After having a few done by both....I was hardly impressed. Some had run spots.. some had sealant gunked up and all over. It was hit or miss. That's why I started doing them myself. And for a quarter of the price. Remember.. PATIENTANCE!!!

Screenshot_20180403-173614.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts