Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my parking brake died anfew minutes ago. I went under to see what the issue is and its the wire that connects the rear driver side broke in half. First question, can I drive with it like that? I want to assume that the brake isnt engaged when the wire is broken. Can anyone confirm that for me?

·
Premium Member
Trailhawk
953 Posts
I did after mine broke. Jack up the rear of the vehicle and try to spin the tires by hand. That will show if the parking brake is engaged or not. Hopefully it isn't the front cable.
What year is your Jeep? I didn't see it in you info.

·
Premium Member
Trailhawk
953 Posts
Check aftermarket sources, but all three cable reasonable from Jeep. Your challenge will be to remove the plastic piece hold the cable as it runs through the brake backing plate. We found that to be extremely time consuming. Kent Moore Miller tool 10301A Rear Park Brake Cable Remover is designed for easier removal. It cost more that the rear cables.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, going to drive it this way for a bit, had it checked out my the stealership, they wanted 1400 to replace both rears and the front according to them the front came runs inside the jeep? Not sure about that, have to investigate that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Holy crap! $1400 dollars??? :oops:

Mine let go on Saturday. The T piece rusted out, but the rear wheel cable ends are still good. I hosed them down with WD-40. Ordered a new front cable from RA. $36 shipped. That looks like the easy part. Getting it routed and taking everything apart looks like the $$$ part.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,023 Posts
The problem is, they did not design the parking brake to be serviceable on the WK2, they sell an entire unit pre-assembled that can be ordered and replaced... ...likely this is the Dealer's approach to fixing this.....

If you have to remove the parking brake shoes, you'll see why they went this route, it took me 5 hours to get the shoes back together for just one of the parking brakes....

The cables themselves, you can find Raybestos E3 (top of their line) replacement cables that look every bit the quality as the OEM, for $30 for the long one, and $15 for the short one from RockAuto.com.

The front cable is run inside the body along the channel under plastic trim step sills by the doors. The pedal has a spring loaded tension self-adjuster in it, so there is a bit of complication of having to take the tension from the self adjuster off and pinning it in place with rod (or allen key) to be able to remove the old and install the new cable end into the pedal mechanism....

The two short cable have a loop on the end, it catches on a hook on the end of the toggle lever that moves the shoes out to engage the brake. I have not tried this, but I'm hoping you can just force the old cable out of the backing, then fish the new cable into the opening to hook it up. I would connect this end before connecting the other end to the equalizer that is on the end of the long cable, so there is lots of slack in the short cable to play with to hook it on the end of the toggle lever through the hole......

If you do have to remove the shoes, I found its impossible to reconnect the lower springs for the shoes, even using the special drum springs tools, there just NOT enough room to do it. I wasted 3 hours with 4 dozen attempts and never got the springs hooked on the shoes..... ....I finally had to assemble the spring on the shoes while they were off the backing, then muscle them over the hub and onto the toggle lever, that took 2 hours and a dozen attempts, but it finally worked.....

The key is, don't remove the shoes unless you absolutely have to.... ...I had a seized toggle lever that was keeping one parking brake engaged, nothing was wrong with my cables, so I had to remove the shoes to get the toggle lever out.... ....if I was replacing the cable, I would try dozens of times to fish that cable in and hook the lever before removing the shoes....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Under body coating from fleet farm.

The metal rusted so bad it separated and failed to hold the T shape on the brake cable. Seems to be working for now, sort of. I hosed it all down with white lithium grease too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts