Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears from pictures that the 2018 Grand Cherokee does not have the Electronic Parking Brake that my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk has. Instead, it has what appears to be a normal foot operated parking brake. The foot lever has, "push to release" on it. If you push to release, how do you engage the parking brake?

·
Registered
328 Posts
It appears from pictures that the 2018 Grand Cherokee does not have the Electronic Parking Brake that my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk has. Instead, it has what appears to be a normal foot operated parking brake. The foot lever has, "push to release" on it. If you push to release, how do you engage the parking brake?
To engage you press it in. To disengage you press it a little farther and it'll release.

I feel old if people aren't familiar with these types of parking brakes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To engage you press it in. To disengage you press it a little farther and it'll release.

I feel old if people aren't familiar with these types of parking brakes.
Well, I am old and I have been buying nothing but new cars since 1965. I don't remember ever having this type of system but then, since I am old, maybe my memory is failing :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well if you're old... think of an old-school power button in a radio or TV or other applicance. You press it, it goes in and locks in, then you press on it again and it pops back out. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Reminds me....my e-brake need to be exercised. Try to remember to use it once a month.....so, it'll work AND RELEASE if I ever need it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
307 Posts
Reminds me....my e-brake need to be exercised. Try to remember to use it once a month.....so, it'll work AND RELEASE if I ever need it.
I never got why people don't use their parking brake and let it get messed up. I use mine on the slightest incline. Keeps the parts from freezing up and if everyone had the slightest clue how small the parking pawl is they'd use the parking brake every time.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,235 Posts
Well, I am old and I have been buying nothing but new cars since 1965. I don't remember ever having this type of system but then, since I am old, maybe my memory is failing :)
My 63 Ford Galaxy, 65 Mustang, 72 Dodge Dart and 78 Bronco all had that type of parking brake.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I never got why people don't use their parking brake and let it get messed up. I use mine on the slightest incline. Keeps the parts from freezing up and if everyone had the slightest clue how small the parking pawl is they'd use the parking brake every time.
Part of the problem is people/manufacturers calling them "e brake" instead of "parking break".

It's very foolish to NOT use the parking brake, every time you park. It's there for a reason.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Part of the problem is people/manufacturers calling them "e brake" instead of "parking break".

It's very foolish to NOT use the parking brake, every time you park. It's there for a reason.
I use mine all the time. It is habit because my other car is a manual. I miss the electronic parking brake on the Ford Edge I just turned in. It was a little toggle switch you pulled up on next to the gear shift.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use mine all the time. It is habit because my other car is a manual. I miss the electronic parking brake on the Ford Edge I just turned in. It was a little toggle switch you pulled up on next to the gear shift.
My ML has that button.. but I still prefer mechanical over electrical. Although gone are the times where people keep their cars forever.. at least not "digital" era vehicles. :(

·
Registered
449 Posts
Part of the problem is people/manufacturers calling them "e brake" instead of "parking break"....
That's because it IS an emergency brake. Yes, it is also a parking brake, but to meat DOT regulations all motor vehicles are required to have 2 independent systems capable of bringing the vehicle to a stop. The "parking" brake is independent of the main braking system and can be used in an emergency to bring the vehicle to a stop. By calling it an emergency brake people are more inclined to use it if the main system fails, than if it were called a parking brake.

And FWIW, much like others have said here, I use mine on slight inclines too. Having learned how to drive on a manual transmission it became second nature to use the e-brake when I parked. I don't do it now with an automatic transmission on flat ground but I still use it when there's any grade.

On a side note. My '14 Overland has the same brake described on the '18. Does the Trailhawk have some other weird system, or did they just ditch it for a few years and came back to it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
By calling it an emergency brake people are more inclined to use it if the main system fails, than if it were called a parking brake.
Nope. So you notice your brakes aren't working and and you won't try the secondary braking system in your car because it's called "parking" instead of "e"? Doubt it. You'll use it whatever it's called if your aware of its presence and remember about it in the panic/moment.

But by calling it "ebrake", people start thinking it's only for emergencies and don't use it when they're supposed to, which is every time you shut your engine off.

I personally don't care what it's called, as long as people use it. But by calling it something like "parking brake", you encourage it's use as people start to realize it's intended to be used all the time while parking. And when you use it all the time, chances are you'll remember to use it when you need to in an emergency as well.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,235 Posts
Nope. So you notice your brakes aren't working and and you won't try the secondary braking system in your car because it's called "parking" instead of "e"? Doubt it. You'll use it whatever it's called if your aware of its presence and remember about it in the panic/moment.

But by calling it "ebrake", people start thinking it's only for emergencies and don't use it when they're supposed to, which is every time you shut your engine off.

I personally don't care what it's called, as long as people use it. But by calling it something like "parking brake", you encourage it's use as people start to realize it's intended to be used all the time while parking. And when you use it all the time, chances are you'll remember to use it when you need to in an emergency as well.
Some people are just too stupid to use it no matter what it is called. Back in the 70's, I was in the passenger seat of a Triumph Spitfire when the brakes went out. The driver just kept hitting the brake pedal. He didn't downshift, didn't pull the whatever you want to call it brake handle. I finally grabbed the brake and janked it which started to slow us down and he was able to pull off the road.

This guy was stupid. Some may not be stupid, but panic can often mimic stupidity pretty well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Some people are just too stupid to use it no matter what it is called. Back in the 70's, I was in the passenger seat of a Triumph Spitfire when the brakes went out. The driver just kept hitting the brake pedal. He didn't downshift, didn't pull the whatever you want to call it brake handle. I finally grabbed the brake and janked it which started to slow us down and he was able to pull off the road.

This guy was stupid. Some may not be stupid, but panic can often mimic stupidity pretty well.
Yeah, some people may just be lacking skill in this area. But panic/emergencies mess up the vast majority of people. It's why training is so important (flight simulators etc etc); because people DO panic and not think straight when it's something unexpected and life threatening. But if you're trained, it becomes second nature.

I drive mostly carefully (ok, like my grandma if I'm honest), have never gotten into an accident (I'm 40 and been driving since I was old enough to see) and have had enough experiences and close calls as a kid on farm tractors etc to be fully comfortable and skilled around machines and equipment. But I still can't guarantee I'd use the parking brake if I lost my main brakes. I'd like to hope so.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,235 Posts
Yeah, some people may just be lacking skill in this area. But panic/emergencies mess up the vast majority of people. It's why training is so important (flight simulators etc etc); because people DO panic and not think straight when it's something unexpected and life threatening. But if you're trained, it becomes second nature.

I drive mostly carefully (ok, like my grandma if I'm honest), have never gotten into an accident (I'm 40 and been driving since I was old enough to see) and have had enough experiences and close calls as a kid on farm tractors etc to be fully comfortable and skilled around machines and equipment. But I still can't guarantee I'd use the parking brake if I lost my main brakes. I'd like to hope so.
I lost the brakes on an MG in the late 60's and I pulled the brake handle right away (British cars were famous for this and a lot of other quirks. I would never have driven or ridden in one had they not been so much fun). Knowing your equipment and how it works is essential. Whenever I buy a new car, I spend a day going over everything in the owners' manual and checking out how it works.

On the other hand, I really don't like the foot pedal parking brake. I prefer either the console mounted lever or the pull lever or handle under the dash (console is first choice on that). Much easier to use and to regulate, but it does require removing a hand from the wheel and may require more upper body strength than some have.

·
Registered
2016 3.6 Limited
9 Posts
I always use the parking brake when parking on the slightest incline like my driveway, but not for flat surfaces such as parking lots. I'm definitely in the minority of people I know. In fact, no one else ever uses the e-brake at all.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
307 Posts
That's because it IS an emergency brake. Yes, it is also a parking brake, but to meat DOT regulations all motor vehicles are required to have 2 independent systems capable of bringing the vehicle to a stop. The "parking" brake is independent of the main braking system and can be used in an emergency to bring the vehicle to a stop. By calling it an emergency brake people are more inclined to use it if the main system fails, than if it were called a parking brake.

And FWIW, much like others have said here, I use mine on slight inclines too. Having learned how to drive on a manual transmission it became second nature to use the e-brake when I parked. I don't do it now with an automatic transmission on flat ground but I still use it when there's any grade.

On a side note. My '14 Overland has the same brake described on the '18. Does the Trailhawk have some other weird system, or did they just ditch it for a few years and came back to it?

You're misunderstanding the DOT code you're referencing. The parking brake is absolutely NOT an emergency brake and likely will not stop the vehicle, or at least it won't stop it in a reasonable amount of time.

The Grand Cherokee and everything else on the road for the past few decades has two braking circuits, meaning if you blow out one brake line, you still have 50% of the system to stop you.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep WK
7 Posts
When I bought my '18 WK2 last month. I was looking for a electronic parking brake. Then I noticed the parking brake on the floor. Same location as my '03 Pontiac Grand Prix. I still rather have it next to my shifter like my '08 WK did, because rip that ebrake and power over!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts