Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was able to pick up a Pedal Commander for $150 and threw it on tonight to see how it works and I must say noticeable difference. I’m sure most can agree that the drive by wire vehicles today create a bunch of lag in throttle response and this little unit allows you to modify that. Tried all the settings except for eco mode seeing as that does the opposite of the other settings meaning it opens the throttle plate slower than stock would. I’ve been only able to put a few miles on since putting it in but so far Sport +2 seems like a really nice sweet spot. I did try Sport+ + 4 and that is just ridiculous with how snappy the throttle gets. But for everyday driving most seem to like any setting in the City mode. I’ll continue messing with the settings as the week goes. I also installed it so that the unit sits in the flip open cubby since i did not want it out in the open or stuck to the dash. Since I only have the v6 there really isn’t much to do to power wise however i do have an AFE Momentum Intake paired with the PC now and it does make it fun to drive and hear the intake open up. If anyone else runs one please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep JKU
84 Posts
I have a Pedal Commander on my JKU and I also noticed a big difference in the performance especially in the 2 top settings.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Pedal Commander on my JKU and I also noticed a big difference in the performance especially in the 2 top settings.
Yea definitely the top two settings for sure. Currently i have it in Sport Mode +2 and its awesome. I was able to get on some 2 lane highways with some traffic lights and i can say that leaving the light and jumping on the throttle on that setting has woke up the jeep so much it caught me off guard. Ive driven some fast vehiles in my time but when you get used to a vehicle that has the electronic throttles and you go ahead and change the timing on it , its night and day. For anyone considering this i would have to recommend it. The normal price tag is a bit to swallow but i found mine used and or if you can find a sprint booster used also id recommend that since they are basically doing the same thing.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PROS:
Much quicker throttle response
Quicker acceleration
Down shifting on highways was faster and crisper , less throttle needed
Simple Installation
Easy to use
Plenty of settings to fit your liking
Small and easy to mount or hide somewhere out of sight

CONS:
Price Tag ~ Typically around $300 for the Bluetooth Option
May result is speeding tickets

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I will try it. I really hate how slow is the pedal response on this car, more in lower gears.
Totally agree, again the only downfall to this product is the price. I will mention some people will claim issues with the check engine light. 2 reasons that can happen. Having your fob to close to the vehicle and not following the install procedure and also changing the settings while driving.

Since its been a few days ive actually lowered the setting to Sport 0 meaning no + lights on below the main settings. The Sport +2 was actually still a little to touchy but damn is it fun.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Totally agree, again the only downfall to this product is the price. I will mention some people will claim issues with the check engine light. 2 reasons that can happen. Having your fob to close to the vehicle and not following the install procedure and also changing the settings while driving.

Since its been a few days ive actually lowered the setting to Sport 0 meaning no + lights on below the main settings. The Sport +2 was actually still a little to touchy but damn is it fun.
Almost all the videos that I see people are changing setting driving the car lol. What do you mean with the fob close.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Almost all the videos that I see people are changing setting driving the car lol. What do you mean with the fob close.
What i mean is if your vehicle has a key fob or keyless entry. When you go to install the PC your supposed to leave the key fob no less that 30 feet away from the vehicle and sometimes actually keep the door open for a few minutes to make sure everything powers down in the vehicle before you unplug to main throttle harness.
Yes you do see alot of people changing the settings while driving and although it works and doesnt throw a code everytime, most of the times you see a video or something of someone getting a CEL lights its mainly because they were driving while changing it. I believe that if you do change it your foot should not be on the gas or anything like that. Complete stop before changing.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep JKU
84 Posts
It says right in the instruction manual not to change settings while driving. I've had my PC for some time now and have never had a CEL from it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds great. I wondering if it helps to get better MPG with the fact that you use less pedal sensitivity to accelerate under normal driving of course. Sometimes I feel I need to put too much Traver on the pedal to make my gear shift.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep JKU
84 Posts
Sounds great. I wondering if it helps to get better MPG with the fact that you use less pedal sensitivity to accelerate under normal driving of course. Sometimes I feel I need to put too much Traver on the pedal to make my gear shift.
The only thing that really gives you good MPG's on anything is your right foot.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has an eco mode but as I’ve said all that does is open the throttle body slower than stock to save fuel , not really a good option imo

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess try it in city mode
You definitely can . And i have heard some people seeing some better mpg but not enough to warrant a solid change. For the most part no one installs a PC for better mileage lol. As the other person said its all in the right foot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You definitely can . And i have heard some people seeing some better mpg but not enough to warrant a solid change. For the most part no one installs a PC for better mileage lol. As the other person said its all in the right foot.
Thanks!! I was ready to pull the trigger but my ess and engine was starting to behave weird... Seems my bstteries are bad.

·
Registered
2014 Limited Hemi 4X
40 Posts
Curious on a couple of counts - where'd you find one for $150? And, are your MPGs dropping?

Just installed a DiabloSport I3 - actually still working on getting it dialed in. Me and tech support that is, starting simple with the 87 octane easy version. I know hte Hemifever tune is the right call, but one thing at a time! I was planning on using the throttle boost to counter the low RPM lagtime response but I am reading that some people's MPG will suffer using it and occasionally cruise control can act up going that route. Looking into either of these remedies, so just curious what your experience is.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep JKU
84 Posts
Curious on a couple of counts - where'd you find one for $150? And, are your MPGs dropping?

Just installed a DiabloSport I3 - actually still working on getting it dialed in. Me and tech support that is, starting simple with the 87 octane easy version. I know hte Hemifever tune is the right call, but one thing at a time! I was planning on using the throttle boost to counter the low RPM lagtime response but I am reading that some people's MPG will suffer using it and occasionally cruise control can act up going that route. Looking into either of these remedies, so just curious what your experience is.

I can say that i've used cruise control quite a few times since putting the PC on and never had a issue. The only reason that your MPG's will suffer is because of the new found power you will have and your right foot becoming out of control. If you can control your right foot then your MPG's shouldn't suffer to much.

According to my dash MPG reading i'm getting 16 MPG's and my JKU isn't stock, I just bought this JKU in September and don't really know what a stock JKU with a manual trans will get. I don't really baby my Jeep and if I did drive a little better i'm sure I could probably do better on my MPG's.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I got the PC for $150 off a fellow member of my Jeep group on Facebook. There’s quite a few used ones on eBay for $200 , just type in PC31and you’ll get a bunch of hits. I’ve used it on CC also with zero issues. Fuel mileage will go down simply because of your new found torque that you get from the different settings. However it doesn’t yield any actual gains in torque but it sure as hell feels like it since the throttle will be much crisper.

·
Registered
2014 Limited Hemi 4X
40 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The cruise control issues I'd read about were with the throttle booster on DiabloSport tuning - not a lot, but certainly something to be aware of. I've seen plenty of the Pedal Commanders at the $200 mark as you said. $100 here, $300 there and pretty soon it all gets outta control :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts