Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2015 WK2 EcoDiesel
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Fairly new 3.0L WK2 owner here that is interested in hashing out some future modifications.

First off, as far as performance mods go, it sounds like the GDE tune is a given. I fully plan on starting off with the hot tune, and possibly the transmission tune. It seems as if, cost aside, there isn't a single downside to going that route.

Now that that's out of the way: What other mods are worth the cost? I'm concerned mostly with longevity/economy over raw performance. Say, 80% longevity/economy to 20% "I WANNA GO FAST."

A couple of mods that I've been looking up:

Banks EGR delete intake manifold (for after I do the GDE digital delete)
AFE intake (unsure on this one, as CAI setups have seemed gimmicky in the past...I'm new to diesel engines though)
CB-Engineering pipes from the turbo back

Does anyone have real world experience with any of those? Are there any gains to reflect the cost (around $2k overall)? Also, are there any other suggestions for worthwhile modifications that I may have overlooked?

I imagine any of the above mods would void my warranty, however if they dramatically improve my engine's reliability/longevity (thus keeping me away from the dealership anyway), and/or moderately improve fuel economy, then it just may be worth it to me.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all! :thumbsup:

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
Have you pinged Banks about both of your wishes?
A while back, they were involved in modding that engine for military use, so I'd strongly suspect they know a bit about meeting both of your desires.

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts
A while back, they were involved in modding that engine for military use, so I'd strongly suspect they know a bit about meeting both of your desires.
they were modding 3.0L ecodiesels for the mil?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey all!

Fairly new 3.0L WK2 owner here that is interested in hashing out some future modifications.

First off, as far as performance mods go, it sounds like the GDE tune is a given. I fully plan on starting off with the hot tune, and possibly the transmission tune. It seems as if, cost aside, there isn't a single downside to going that route.

Now that that's out of the way: What other mods are worth the cost? I'm concerned mostly with longevity/economy over raw performance. Say, 80% longevity/economy to 20% "I WANNA GO FAST."

A couple of mods that I've been looking up:

Banks EGR delete intake manifold (for after I do the GDE digital delete)
AFE intake (unsure on this one, as CAI setups have seemed gimmicky in the past...I'm new to diesel engines though)
CB-Engineering pipes from the turbo back

Does anyone have real world experience with any of those? Are there any gains to reflect the cost (around $2k overall)? Also, are there any other suggestions for worthwhile modifications that I may have overlooked?

I imagine any of the above mods would void my warranty, however if they dramatically improve my engine's reliability/longevity (thus keeping me away from the dealership anyway), and/or moderately improve fuel economy, then it just may be worth it to me.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks all! :thumbsup:
aFe Intake - I chose the Dry S filter. Very well build component, easy to take off for cleaning.

GDE Tune - absolutely

CB Engineering - Very well build product , even my installer said so. I chose to keep sensor bungs and they were in the right place, no issues at all.

CFT Performance - They have a Stage 2 EGR (Full EGR Delete). Mine will be delivered soon and can offer feedback after installed.

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts
anyone on here run that Banks aluminum intake?

also for the EGR cooler thing, if you delete it does it take longer for the motor to warm up and blow hot air for those who live up north? i had VWs and did EGR cooler delete on one and it took longer to warm up when cold out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
anyone on here run that Banks aluminum intake?

also for the EGR cooler thing, if you delete it does it take longer for the motor to warm up and blow hot air for those who live up north? i had VWs and did EGR cooler delete on one and it took longer to warm up when cold out.
Good question on the warm up but honestly I think the GDE tune offsets any possible delay in warming up. The idle does seem quite a bit higher than stock and much faster to warm up/RPMs go down....Facts, I know because I just shoveled 10 inches of snow in Eastern, PA.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the jeep does a high idle on it's own only when it's cold out correct?
Yes, a stock JGC does a high idle when the temp is low enough. Not sure what the temp has to be to activate this feature though. The GDE high idle increases the RPM even higher.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 EcoDiesel
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of good replies that slipped through the cracks. Sorry about that! I don't think the "someone has responded to your thread" email came through, so I figured no one had anything to add.

I haven't. Good advice though. I've been looking for reviews on the intake manifold, but haven't really been able to find any. I'm unsure if it's just a new product, or if people simply aren't buying it for one reason or another. I'd rather get honest reviews from people with firsthand knowledge, versus the manufacturer of the product, for obvious reasons (bias). But I may check with them as you suggested. I would mainly want it to physically delete the EGR, but since that can be duplicated with a block off on the stock manifold, that purchase would take a back seat unless it also offers some significant benefits in economy/power, and that's the data that I've been unable to find thus far.

Both GDE, Hot and Trans tunes are essential to make anything out of our Sport mode. Is yours RWD or 4WD? My issue with Limited RWD is a lack of LSD and poor suspension. With LSD added and ABS fuse removed, I'm sure this baby can drift :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAPBDUPAtMM
My Limited is 4x4. Do the 4x4 come stock with the LSD? Forgive my ignorance on that one.

aFe Intake - I chose the Dry S filter. Very well build component, easy to take off for cleaning.

GDE Tune - absolutely

CB Engineering - Very well build product , even my installer said so. I chose to keep sensor bungs and they were in the right place, no issues at all.

CFT Performance - They have a Stage 2 EGR (Full EGR Delete). Mine will be delivered soon and can offer feedback after installed.
Since posting this, I actually did order an aFe intake. I opted for their full CAI system however. I got a pretty good deal on it, so the difference in price between the dry drop-in filter that I was looking at, and the CAI system with a large conical Pro Dry S filter was pretty negligible. Even if the added airflow is "meh," (I'd hope it's slightly better though, being 3" tubing) I've always been a sucker for the CAI sound, and how much it dresses up the engine bay (black metal powdercoated intake tubing with a large gray/black filter).

Good to know on the CB Engineering products. I may look in to that further. Also, I hadn't come across CFT Performance yet. I'll have to check them out. I'd be curious to hear your impressions on their stage 2 kit!

Thanks again for dropping in everyone. Good advice all around. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
My stock high idle is 1100, GDE high idle is 1500 for me.

The Banks aluminum intake only serves to lighten your wallet. It's only benefit is removing the butterfly valves, and the GDE tune keeps these open, so it's unnecessary.

I have a few products from CFT Performance INC. and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 EcoDiesel
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My stock high idle is 1100, GDE high idle is 1500 for me.

The Banks aluminum intake only serves to lighten your wallet. It's only benefit is removing the butterfly valves, and the GDE tune keeps these open, so it's unnecessary.

I have a few products from CFT Performance INC. and highly recommend them.
Thanks for the heads up on that. I think I'll skip that then and go with the much cheaper EGR delete alternative.

I've been checking CFT out a bit this morning, and can already feel my wallet getting lighter. They have some great looking products.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 EcoDiesel
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the heads up on that. I think I'll skip that then and go with the much cheaper EGR delete alternative.
You can't modify the EGR without a tune.
Oh yeah, I was tracking that. The GDE tune is first up on my list of performance mods, so I should be good on that.

·
Registered
A hard bargain.
259 Posts
K&N 77 Cold air intake and intercooler muffler bypass.
Removed the mufflers and replaced with elbows and 5" tips.

It pulls much harder at higher 80+ speeds and mileage is better at 80+ speeds. You can hear a little turbo spool and exhaust sound is a little louder but not much.

Last time I looked, Banks didn't have any dyno numbers for their exhaust pipe but it was probably the best one that I would get.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As I am hitting 60k, will do few mods:
full delete (3" flo-pro - ebay)
GDE super tune (+55hp and 95ftlb of torque). Super tune requires full delete and off-road tune option.
intercooler silencer (baffle) delete

On another note, just replaced door speakers with infinity kappa's as recommended in wk2 AV section - amazing, what a difference! Also added 12" audiopipe sub powered by 12 years old hifonics amp. Half a trunk is gone, but my RWD got better traction :).

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts
As I am hitting 60k, will do few mods:
full delete (3" flo-pro - ebay)
GDE super tune (+55hp and 95ftlb of torque). Super tune requires full delete and off-road tune option.
intercooler silencer (baffle) delete

On another note, just replaced door speakers with infinity kappa's as recommended in wk2 AV section - amazing, what a difference! Also added 12" audiopipe sub powered by 12 years old hifonics amp. Half a trunk is gone, but my RWD got better traction :).
you look into the RIPP IC system or the larger aluminum pipes?

·
Registered
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel
99 Posts
I'm planning on doing the GDE tune and trans tune, but retaining the DPF, DOC, etc (for now). Along with that I'm thinking the CFT intercooler pipes; deletes the baffle, shortens the overall length, replaces the turbo outlet, and replaces the intake baffle but uses the stock airbox. Eventually I'll go full delete and get a turbo-back exhaust, but until that stuff starts to create issues, I'm going to leave it in place.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts