Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After many unsuccessful attempts to get my carbon fiber trim to stick to the dash I finally decided to search for a different option.

Replacement panels run into the many hundreds of dollars and it will more than likely eventually happen again.

First of all I separated the carbon fiber from the backing pieces. This wasn't easy but I found pouring hot water from a kettle between the two layers easily separated them.

Next I drilled out the plastic spot welds that hold the chrome pieces in places and separated them.

Then I removed all the old adhesive and made them nice and smooth using wet n dry sand paper and sanding pads.

I tried covering with a high gloss 5D carbon fiber vinyl wrap but it wasn't very convincing to my eye.

After a little googling I came across a process called hydro dipping. This finish is very popular with bike enthusiasts and looks very realistic especially after few layers of clearcoat lacquer.

I got my two pieces refinished and was charged £40, they did such a good job I paid them double.

I refitted the chrome pieces by dabbing epoxy on the spot welds and have it 24 hours to cure..

The whole process was took 5 days from start to finish and cost me £80 or $120 and I cant see anything ever peeling again.

Vehicle Car Speedometer Odometer Trip computer

Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Azure

Hood Grille Automotive tire Textile Automotive exterior

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Steering part

·
Registered
158 Posts
That looks AWESOME!!! I have a quick question though. My front passenger door panel is starting to lift. Do you know how to remove the carbon trim piece from the door? I only plan on gluing for now since all the other panels are holding up. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks AWESOME!!! I have a quick question though. My front passenger door panel is starting to lift. Do you know how to remove the carbon trim piece from the door? I only plan on gluing for now since all the other panels are holding up. Thanks.
Unfortunately this requires the door panels to be removed as there are screws holding them in place from behind.
So far all of my door carbon seems to be okay. If it does ever fail I will replace the carbon on all four doors with hydro dip.

Here's the procedure https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166578-9999.pdf

1 - 4 of 4 Posts