Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 992 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installed UAQ Radio in 2017 Summit.

Purchased here for $1350 (Black Friday Deal).

https://www.infotainment.com/products/2014-2017-jeep-grand-cherokee-8-4-4c-nav-uaq-retrofit-kit-with-apple-carplay-android-auto

It's working perfect !!

Pictures don't do it justice. I was concerned it didn't look as nice as the 2017 Radio but it looks very nice. Background themes etc.

The web site is a little misleading on the fine print return policy.

No Hassle Return includes 15% Stocking Fee.
It also said 30 days on the paper work that came with it and the web site said 90 days.
The Extended Warranty you can purchase for 10% more only covers 1 year.

The Old Radio I pulled out was a Harmon, the new one is a Panasonic.

I noticed in the Video (at link above) that the "SD" Card Icon was lit up but My Radio did come with the dual USB hub. Both ports support Power and Data.

It installed exactly as video showed. Little tricky figuring out what to squeeze to release some cables. They all come out easy once you find that release.

By the way you have to pull pretty damn hard to get bezel off.

Mine came with a Security Theft Code and Warning to Turn on Sport Mode before entering the code (see photo). It never asked for a Code.

The 4G Cellular in the radio appears alive.

The Car Play is very nice, very smooth, very easy to use.

Felt very snappy.

Everything Not Car Play seems VERY similar to the old Radio.

All Controls work, I could get at Collision, Steering etc. All those settings were retained.
Off Road App works.

SXM didn't come up first time (no sound on FM either).
Turned it on 2nd time and SXM and Sound came on.

I factory reset my old radio before removing. Hold Drivers Side Temp Up & Down in until menu comes up. Select Reset.

There is a Reset in the Menu on the UAQ for All Settings, User Data, etc.

Very happy so far.

Very tempted to just send in old radio and not worry about dealer baulking at it ($400 as of this writing).

The Manufacture date of the new Radio was Oct 2017.

Screen looks great (coming from someone that owns 7 4K screens).
Pinching within Android Auto or Car Play both don't work well at all.
Pinching on Native Nav works as expected (smooth responsive).

FLAC files do work !!
It will take FAT32 or NTFS. It will not take exFAT.

UAQ Back (I used 3 Coax on the Left of the photo)

Old Harman Back

UAQ Label

Infotainment Label

UAQ Label 2

Apple Car Play Navigation

Android Auto Navigation YUCK

UAQ UConnect Media Page with Canyon Theme

Picture that better captures overall look

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks nice. Are there any themes without the orange color scheme? I like the blue one on the old unit. Also, why is there an SD card option for media if the new hub only has USB ports?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks nice. Are there any themes without the orange color scheme? I like the blue one on the old unit. Also, why is there an SD card option for media if the new hub only has USB ports?
Yes there are ~17 Jeep themes iirc. Installed mine today.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What did you do with the "purple" antenna lead? The plug detents on mine are 180deg out on the socket so mine is not plugged in... everything seems to work so far though.

We had a miscommunication on my order so my USB hub wasn't sent(also got another 8" bezel/A/C controller that I need to return). Hoping to have this resolved quickly this week as CarPlay was the only real reason I did this. Other software features are nice though. Need to see if I can get my PAC-interface working with it at some point.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What did you do with the "purple" antenna lead? The plug detents on mine are 180deg out on the socket so mine is not plugged in... everything seems to work so far though.

We had a miscommunication on my order so my USB hub wasn't sent(also got another 8" bezel/A/C controller that I need to return). Hoping to have this resolved quickly this week as CarPlay was the only real reason I did this. Other software features are nice though. Need to see if I can get my PAC-interface working with it at some point.
Bummer on the Hub.

Everything plugged in fine.

The plastic collar just spins around the cable coax cable. Mine all plugged in fine.

I was a little confused at first because there was "Violet" looking socket right where the cables lined up. Then I noticed a dark (matching) purple one on the opposite end of the radio. And plugged it in there because the color matched exactly. I never tried the Violet socket, it might be keyed differently.

Check out the photos I took.

I just tested FLAC and FLAC does work !!

I'll keep the opening post up to date with what I learn as long as it stays editable.

EDIT:

They look like they are all Keyed. I think you tried to plug purple into the wrong socket.
It's under the Sharpie N in the first photo (it's kind of dark in the photo for that socket).

Did you have to enter anti theft key?

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think there is more than 1 hub that can hook to it.

There are like 18 themes. Most use that Brown/Orange Color, There are a couple blue and couple red. The Icon's change style too.

I added another picture to better capture the Brown/Orange that I really like.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bummer on the Hub.

Everything plugged in fine.

The plastic collar just spins around the cable coax cable. Mine all plugged in fine.

I was a little confused at first because there was "Violet" looking socket right where the cables lined up. Then I noticed a dark (matching) purple one on the opposite end of the radio. And plugged it in there because the color matched exactly. I never tried the Violet socket, it might be keyed differently.

Check out the photos I took.

I just tested FLAC and FLAC does work !!

I'll keep the opening post up to date with what I learn as long as it stays editable.

EDIT:

They look like they are all Keyed. I think you tried to plug purple into the wrong socket.
It's under the Sharpie N in the first photo (it's kind of dark in the photo for that socket).

Did you have to enter anti theft key?
Thanks for posting the pics... I checked mine again last night and the far left antenna lead is missing the "dark violet" (or whatever color that is that matches the car harness plug) cap on the antenna lead. I was trying to make the car harness fit on one of the other colors which won't work. I'll address this with them tomorrow as well.

No issues with the security code. Mine booted up quickly and messaged the security code was valid or similar i.e. I never had to enter it.

Interesting on the FLAC compatibility. I didn't know that this unit supported it. That may come in handy when I get my DSR1/iDataLink and new Kappa install finished up this week. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Awesome. I want to ditch my Kenwood radio on my ‘15 Summit and go to this one. Great to have CarPlay with stock radio and being able to play flac via USB is great!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am curious to find out if the Uconnect app on the phone will still work with this unit. Let us know if it works if anyone orders this kit who still has an active uconnect account. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to Register uConnect and it's not going well.

The problem is on UAQ Radios they are supported through "Sirius XM Guardian".
So when you push the button on the Radio it goes to Sirius XM Guardian but they have no record of my VIN (2017). They switched me over to "UConnect" and they can't connect to the Radio to set it up, because they ask you to push the button on the mirror to call them and that sends them the data to them via call but it calls Sirius.

I clicked a button to do it Via Email but never received the email. Maybe it will still come and it did say up to 72 hours. They also filed a Ticket to get my VIN into the Sirius XM Guardian System.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Do the new radios still have the pandora app? When it actually works in my 2015, I find the sound quality is better than streaming from the pandora app on my iphone.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Do the new radios still have the pandora app? When it actually works in my 2015, I find the sound quality is better than streaming from the pandora app on my iphone.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
The "CarPlay" (And I'm sure Android Auto) have their own Pandora.

It makes sense using Pandora on the Radio sounds better.

When you use the Car as a "Bluetooth" Speaker it's an "Audio Connection" with high compression and low bandwidth. When you use "Uconnect Via" it's using a Bluetooth "Data" connection and pipeline that Datastream from Pandora directly to the Radio. So it's "Native".

That is what CarPlay and Android Auto do. But they want a high Bandwidth connection (higher than Bluetooth) to transmit both the Audio and Video to the CarRadio natively. Pandora works great.

By the way the Traffic and Weather XM is working. But I don't know if that is some sort of 1 week trial mode. Or a continuation of the 5 Years you get with the Jeep. But I never do use it.
I sent email to Infotainment on the UConnect subscription, I have this feeling they might play dumb. It's not a show stopper as long as I get updates (Manually or OTA) I'll be happy. They also claimed they never heard of the "Lockup Issue" that 2018 Jeep owners and 2017 Charger/Challenger owners have run into. But Milous says a fix is in the pipeline.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Received mine today and was all excited until I noticed the screen protector was all scratched. Well looking behind the protector, there’s a scratch on the screen. Will be asking for a replacement

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Received mine today and was all excited until I noticed the screen protector was all scratched. Well looking behind the protector, there’s a scratch on the screen. Will be asking for a replacement
My screen protector was scuffed up too but the screen under it was perfect.

Bummer.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

When you guys get your radio snag the Version you started at as soon as you get it up that way we'll know if they are updating.

Hold Temp Up/Down on Drivers Side + Front Defrost to Enter Service Menu.

P.S. My XM Radio service is not just Traffic and Weather but full service. Not sure if that will last. I never signed up for anything. And my 1 year free expired in august.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My screen protector was scuffed up too but the screen under it was perfect.

Bummer.

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

When you guys get your radio snag the Version you started at as soon as you get it up that way we'll know if they are updating.

Hold Temp Up/Down on Drivers Side + Front Defrost to Enter Service Menu.

P.S. My XM Radio service is not just Traffic and Weather but full service. Not sure if that will last. I never signed up for anything. And my 1 year free expired in august.
Getting a replacement sent out to me. Very friendly customer service from Joe over at infotainment. Gonna send the other one back today.

Also just curious have you gotten the Uconnect service to work or Sirius guardian? I haven’t tried plugging in the radio yet as I’m sending it back, but have you gotten the email from Uconnect to register?

·
Registered
63 Posts
With this kit, I noticed that you are replacing the old media hub with 1 usb port + SD card slot with the new one that has 2 usb ports and no SD card slot. However, I think you will still have the old labels above the ports for the SD card. Maybe this piece can be replaced as well.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have you had any issues with the unit recognizing the air suspension at all?

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Getting a replacement sent out to me. Very friendly customer service from Joe over at infotainment. Gonna send the other one back today.

Also just curious have you gotten the Uconnect service to work or Sirius guardian? I haven’t tried plugging in the radio yet as I’m sending it back, but have you gotten the email from Uconnect to register?
No response from infotainment on that issue, No response from XM Guardian on my "Ticket".

Turns out I misread the Infotainment "Information Label" (see photo in OP). They said some radios will have a full XM trial and let that expire before signing up. Turns out there is full XM running, not just weather and traffic. No idea how long that will run.

I'm having strong doubt's the "Uconnect" services will ever work. Because of conflict between VIN and UAQ Radio. But I will keep trying. It's not a huge concern if uConnect services work, for me. I'm mainly concerned that we have a path to update firmware. Because with Carplay most of uConnect features are superceded. And I rather doubt the remote start will work much better, that could take 10 minutes (that delay was not due to 3G Cellular vs 4G).

Please get a screen shot of your firmware version when you first boot it. For all I know mine already updated. But I didn't know how to check the firmware version when I first powered up. Now we do.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

With this kit, I noticed that you are replacing the old media hub with 1 usb port + SD card slot with the new one that has 2 usb ports and no SD card slot. However, I think you will still have the old labels above the ports for the SD card. Maybe this piece can be replaced as well.
Yes, the labels (that you can barely see) do not match. In fact I didn't know it had labels until I took it out to replace the hub.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Have you had any issues with the unit recognizing the air suspension at all?
I'll double check but I went through all the menus for Collision, Steering etc. and all the settings I had set still remained. Meaning it read it all correctly from other components in the system. I didn't try changing anything yet.

Also the Off Road thing works and has all the pages and does live update.

That all looks good, but I didn't exercise changing a bunch of stuff.

1 - 20 of 992 Posts