Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1303 Posts

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts
No response from infotainment on that issue, No response from XM Guardian on my "Ticket".

Turns out I misread the Infotainment "Information Label" (see photo in OP). They said some radios will have a full XM trial and let that expire before signing up. Turns out there is full XM running, not just weather and traffic. No idea how long that will run.

I'm having strong doubt's the "Uconnect" services will ever work. Because of conflict between VIN and UAQ Radio. But I will keep trying. It's not a huge concern if uConnect services work, for me. I'm mainly concerned that we have a path to update firmware. Because with Carplay most of uConnect features are superceded. And I rather doubt the remote start will work much better, that could take 10 minutes (that delay was not due to 3G Cellular vs 4G).

Please get a screen shot of your firmware version when you first boot it. For all I know mine already updated. But I didn't know how to check the firmware version when I first powered up. Now we do.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Yes, the labels (that you can barely see) do not match. In fact I didn't know it had labels until I took it out to replace the hub.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

I'll double check but I went through all the menus for Collision, Steering etc. and all the settings I had set still remained. Meaning it read it all correctly from other components in the system. I didn't try changing anything yet.

Also the Off Road thing works and has all the pages and does live update.

That all looks good, but I didn't exercise changing a bunch of stuff.
I can’t see why it would not update in the future. I’ll take a screen shot on the next unit I receive as I haven’t plugged this one in because I will be returning it today. Bummer on the Uconnect not working but I guess that’s a small price to pay for new hardware. My free trial was almost up anyways. That’s awesome about the free Sirius xm, thought the label meant our previous subscription

·
Registered
89 Posts
if anyone gets the uconnect app to work and those features working please let me know... I'm very interested in this upgrade but i use those features often and don't want to loose them.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I spoke to Infotainment.com today and XM Guardian.

They claim XM Guardian will register it, but they will say "No" at first and you basically need to persuade them. I didn't tell XM Guardian I put a 2018 Radio in 2017 Vehicle (nervous I might trip an alarm). So I called them back and told them everything and guy was like no problem "Jeep" needs to "Release the VIN". Kind of like getting your phone number ported. He said they are a 1 week back log, but that made no sense. Because proper new vehicles should just register instantly. Why is there a back log? He did see my ticket in the system and said to wait a week.

Infotainment.com started spilling more details. And saying if it doesn't update over OTA we'll have downloads available via USB. Because you can't use your VIN to a download as it will download wrong firmware. And the new Radios normally update OTA now (so have nothing to download)

Unless they can prove I can update this within 30 days it may have to go back.
I just can't take that chance for this much money. I think if uConnect services can get established, I think there is a good chance it will update. With out that I'm rather doubtful it will update itself. But it might.

Remember everything is by VIN and VIN stays the same. Why would the system want to send your Radio Firmware for a 2018 Radio when it's supposed to have 2017 Radio in it?

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts

They claim XM Guardian will register it, but they will say "No" at first and you basically need to persuade them. I didn't tell XM Guardian I put a 2018 Radio in 2017 Vehicle (nervous I might trip an alarm). So I called them back and told them everything and guy was like no problem "Jeep" needs to "Release the VIN". Kind of like getting your phone number ported. He said they are a 1 week back log, but that made no sense. Because proper new vehicles should just register instantly. Why is there a back log? He did see my ticket in the system and said to wait a week.

Infotainment.com started spilling more details. And saying if it doesn't update over OTA we'll have downloads available via USB. Because you can't use your VIN to a download as it will download wrong firmware. And the new Radios normally update OTA now (so have nothing to download)

I just can't take that chance for this much money. I think if uConnect services can get established, I think there is a good chance it will update. With out that I'm rather doubtful it will update itself. But it might.

Remember everything is by VIN and VIN stays the same. Why would the system want to send your Radio Firmware for a 2018 Radio when it's supposed to have 2017 Radio in it?
But how do you get Chrysler to just release a vin? Is that something Sirius requests themselves or is that something we have to do on our end? Also when you spoke to infotainment, when they said there will be updates on usb, do they mean they themselves will provide the update on usb? Because I can see what your saying with the update being tied to the vin. You have to plug your vin in on the Uconnect website to get an update and it will just tell us our systems are up to date without them knowing we have a 2018 Uconnect radio in our jeeps. So does the Uconnect services not work on yours without Sirius guardian first activating? Does the 4G work or lte I should say?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
XM Guardian is requesting VIN. Keep in mind this might be BS too, you never know with telesales rep what they are saying is correct.

The USB download is the same for all VIN “types”. Not your exact VIN.
Basically a 2018 GC with 8.4 Nav “VIN”. They will provide Jeeps download.

Like user *SOX* has done. That is was fairly easy on the 2014-2017 radios. Not sure how easy and prompt that will be for UAQ. Just recently the download appeared on uConnect that went out OTA like 6 months ago for the 2014-2017 radios. So even if infotainment.com is willing to put it up because we don’t have proper 2018 VIN Uconnect might not release a USB download promptly (or ever?).

I really want to see OTA work. And for all I know it already has and why we need to watch and compare service screen shots to see if an update came in. A 2018 owner believes he got an update in the past week.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts
XM Guardian is requesting VIN. Keep in mind this might be BS too, you never know with telesales rep what they are saying is correct.

The USB download is the same for all VIN “types”. Not your exact VIN.
Basically a 2018 GC with 8.4 Nav “VIN”. They will provide Jeeps download.

Like user *SOX* has done. That is was fairly easy on the 2014-2017 radios. Not sure how easy and prompt that will be for UAQ. Just recently the download appeared on uConnect that went out OTA like 6 months ago for the 2014-2017 radios. So even if infotainment.com is willing to put it up because we don’t have proper 2018 VIN Uconnect might not release a USB download promptly (or ever?).

I really want to see OTA work. And for all I know it already has and why we need to watch and compare service screen shots to see if an update came in. A 2018 owner believes he got an update in the past week.
Well that’s good news it’s not tied to the vin. So basically we just need the files from some other users 2018 and we’re set. Hopefully though ota works. I will be getting the replacement unit Friday so when I get it I will quickly boot into engineering mode and take a screen shot and post my results here.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Thanks for the update! Let me know if you get it working and please also test the remote features from the App as I use those all the time and couldn't do this update if they didn't work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Could you not grab a VIN from a new one on autotrader or somewhere and enter that into the uconnect website to download an update to USB? I assume this would work. If you enter a new 2018 VIN into the uconnect update website right now it says the vehicle is up to date. I guess no update has been released yet.

·
Registered
Jeep
5 Posts
Could you not grab a VIN from a new one on autotrader or somewhere and enter that into the uconnect website to download an update to USB? I assume this would work. If you enter a new 2018 VIN into the uconnect update website right now it says the vehicle is up to date. I guess no update has been released yet.
...you could also visit your dealer and "barrow" a vin off the showroom one too....

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes and no. If the vehicle is not sold the VIN won’t work.
If the vehicle is on the road it will update OTA and when you go online to download it will say nothing to update (I think it knows what’s been done).

You’d have to find a VIN that is on the road that has not updated to grab a download.

Infotainment.com has confirmed the above and they will find a download and post it. How that will go is hard to know.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts
Yes and no. If the vehicle is not sold the VIN won’t work.
If the vehicle is on the road it will update OTA and when you go online to download it will say nothing to update (I think it knows what’s been done).

You’d have to find a VIN that is on the road that has not updated to grab a download.

Infotainment.com has confirmed the above and they will find a download and post it. How that will go is hard to know.
Not true. I downloaded an OTA update for my 2017 2 months ago which was the 17.11.07 update and when I plug my vin into the site it still says that there is an update for my system and allows me to download the files. As for a vin not on the road yet, not 100% sure on that. A guy I work with just got a 2018 so if anything I’ll just use his vin when the time comes

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Not true. I downloaded an OTA update for my 2017 2 months ago which was the 17.11.07 update and when I plug my vin into the site it still says that there is an update for my system and allows me to download the files. As for a vin not on the road yet, not 100% sure on that. A guy I work with just got a 2018 so if anything I’ll just use his vin when the time comes
I punched in about 20 UAQ VIN's.

I'm 100% sure a new Vehicle VIN will NOT work. Very easy to confirm yourself.
Older VIN's work but not a single one returned any update available.

That's why I want to see some versions posted.

If they are not all the same they are either updating OTA and/or there should be downloads available.

What was true on non-UAQ may no longer apply on UAQ. Or may apply 3 years from now.

UAQ USB Downloads might be easily obtained. But that is very hard to prove right now.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts
I punched in about 20 UAQ VIN's.

I'm 100% sure a new Vehicle VIN will NOT work. Very easy to confirm yourself.
Older VIN's work but not a single one returned any update available.

That's why I want to see some versions posted.

If they are not all the same they are either updating OTA and/or there should be downloads available.

What was true on non-UAQ may no longer apply on UAQ. Or may apply 3 years from now.

UAQ USB Downloads might be easily obtained. But that is very hard to prove right now.
Might be because there’s no updates available yet for the new unit. I’ll let you know friday

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Might be because there’s no updates available yet for the new unit. I’ll let you know friday
But a 2018 owner here says he has seen updates.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was under the impression that updates were not rolled out to every vehicle at the same time.
Yes, that is likely true.

A 2018 owner (RKlima) posted that his radio updated to V.171011.0 from V.170609.0.0 and he saw changes in the UI.

I think those are basically dates and if I read my screen correctly and his numbers, he had a June 09, 2017 release and upgraded to an Oct 11, 2017 release. And if I'm reading my screen correctly I have Aug 26, 2017 release. So lots of versions are floating around yet every VIN I tested said "No Downloads". Also why hasn't my radio updated to Oct 11, 2017?

Now it's possible the Oct 11, 2017 release just rolled out and mine will update. But I doubt it. Believe me I'll be thrilled to pieces if it does.

I asked him to post his screen so we can compare the exact numbers because there are many versions listed on the screen.

So it appears builds are going out and they are NOT available for download (yet any way) and so far I get nothing via OTA.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My buddy has a 2017 Chrysler 300C with a UAQ. His radio was not getting OTA updates. Somewhere we stumbled onto info that 2017 300C folks had to get updates manually. Sure enough I put in his VIN on the Uconnect site and got the download.

So.... you may try using a 2017 Chrysler 300 VIN

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My buddy has a 2017 Chrysler 300C with a UAQ. His radio was not getting OTA updates. Somewhere we stumbled onto info that 2017 300C folks had to get updates manually. Sure enough I put in his VIN on the Uconnect site and got the download.

So.... you may try using a 2017 Chrysler 300 VIN
Thanks for that info. I tried that on a 2017 Charger UAQ and also did see a download available. But I wouldn't take the chance of flashing. My guess is it would be different. Just as 2014,2015,2016,2017 are all subtly different radios and flashes.

I also just realized something. I suspect the updates 2018 users are seeing are "APPS" updating and not the base radio firmware. So we are not getting App updates either. These UConnect apps. I think what RKLima saw was that his Off Road App upgraded and switch from always being in meters to obeying the radio setting. Mine is indeed stuck in meters.

So will a Full flash update all apps too? Who knows.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Looks like my Radio has the same firmware as official 2018 Jeeps.

However RKLimas and I confirmed For "Off Road App"

I have V.170601.0 RKLimas has V.171011.0 (his recently updated itself).

So it appears we also will not get OTA App updates which might update much more frequently than the main radio firmware. I assume if we can manually flash firmware from a download we'll be able to refresh the apps (in bulk ;) ).

I also suspect if App's don't update neither will the main firmware. Unless we can get it registered. Still waiting on my XM Guardian Ticket.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,003 Posts
This has all the makings of the Let-Me-Supercharge-My-Pentastar-And-Crank-Up-The-Boost-To-Hang-Out-With-SRTs...with far less risk and drama though.

In the past, and probably still to this day, manufacturers could update the VIN with new details, provided that they were either dealer-activated (like RA3 navi) or somehow available on that model year vehicle (5 inch to 8.4 inch radio; SD to HD brakes; no fog lights to fog lights; no heated seats to heated seats).

But with such an integral electronic component that talks to the rest of the car and is VIN based I just don't see how your updates will work unless you manually download and reflash the unit. I thought Chrysler was trying to move away from that, in fact it seems to be some industry trend started by Tesla.

Good luck. I hope you sort it out. I was glad to see that the installation works and that you got your unit for a more humane price. I would keep the 2017 old radio in Type 1000 Storage.

21 - 40 of 1303 Posts