Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1303 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I agree on all your points. Even if I get Uconnect services working there is no assurance that that will fix OTA updates.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts
I agree on all your points. Even if I get Uconnect services working there is no assurance that that will fix OTA updates.
So basically what this all comes down to is the only way to update the radio in the future is to go to uconnect’s website and punch in a 2018 vin and use that software since OTA seems to be nowhere in sight?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So basically what this all comes down to is the only way to update the radio in the future is to go to uconnect’s website and punch in a 2018 vin and use that software since OTA seems to be nowhere in sight?
At the moment it looks like that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What are kind of problems or bugs are you having with the new system? I have a 2017 with the old one that works perfectly. It sounds like I should wait on this upgrade until some of the issues are fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
What are kind of problems or bugs are you having with the new system? I have a 2017 with the old one that works perfectly. It sounds like I should wait on this upgrade until some of the issues are fixed.
On day 2 I ran into the radio hung and had to wait for it to cold boot.

2018 owners have the same issue. Everyone has their own hunch. But it has not done it since I uninstalled the Uconnect app on my phone.

Other than that I’ve had a few very small glitches.

Like this morning I plugged phone before starting and it didn’t switch to CarPlay. I had to unplug and plug again and it came right up.

If we successfully can flash it manually on next update I wouldn’t hestitate to upgrade then.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics... I checked mine again last night and the far left antenna lead is missing the "dark violet" (or whatever color that is that matches the car harness plug) cap on the antenna lead. I was trying to make the car harness fit on one of the other colors which won't work. I'll address this with them tomorrow as well.

No issues with the security code. Mine booted up quickly and messaged the security code was valid or similar i.e. I never had to enter it.

Interesting on the FLAC compatibility. I didn't know that this unit supported it. That may come in handy when I get my DSR1/iDataLink and new Kappa install finished up this week. Appreciate the help.
Got my hub installed yesterday and all is well now I think. I had to wait on a second shipment as my neighbors dog took the first one I think... didn't catch him on video but something I definitely need to plan for in the future(new house/location for me). The guys at Infotainment are great to work with btw.

The CarPlay/direct connect was the primary reason I did this and it works really well. I've always regretted swapping to music services for high(er) end music listening in the car and main stereo at home and this is a nice way to get a little more fidelity back vs BT with its limited rages. I'll have to play with some FLAC files next to see how it does. That should really wake things up when I get my DSR1/amp/sub in soon. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts
Got my hub installed yesterday and all is well now I think. I had to wait on a second shipment as my neighbors dog took the first one I think... didn't catch him on video but something I definitely need to plan for in the future(new house/location for me). The guys at Infotainment are great to work with btw.

The CarPlay/direct connect was the primary reason I did this and it works really well. I've always regretted swapping to music services for high(er) end music listening in the car and main stereo at home and this is a nice way to get a little more fidelity back vs BT with its limited rages. I'll have to play with some FLAC files next to see how it does. That should really wake things up when I get my DSR1/amp/sub in soon. Thanks again for the help.

Screen shot your firmware version

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another question - After you installled the new unit, do the turn by turn directions still appear in tbe instrument cluster for the built in nav? How does the built in nav compare to the 2014-17 model?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Last I heard about this retrofit for non CarPlay equipped models was that they were having trouble with models that came equipped with heated seats. Apparently they couldn’t get the heat seaters to work through the unit. Has this been resolved? Do any of you guys who have the infotainment retrofit have heated seats?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last I heard about this retrofit for non CarPlay equipped models was that they were having trouble with models that came equipped with heated seats. Apparently they couldn’t get the heat seaters to work through the unit. Has this been resolved? Do any of you guys who have the infotainment retrofit have heated seats?
Thats covered on a couple other threads. If you have a 2016 and forward body/chassis controller in your car the seats/wheel work. There will have to be some sort of fix, flash or possible CAN module change between the new unit and older BC for this to get corrected.

Regarding the 2014+ comparisons my 2017 was a newer (Harmon still) version from my 2014 JGC Overland. The 2017 was a nice upgrade but still similar to my 2014 in most aspects. The 2018 version (Panasonic) is much better overall.

Navigation messages work through the IC as in the older (Harmon) models.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Another question - After you installled the new unit, do the turn by turn directions still appear in tbe instrument cluster for the built in nav? How does the built in nav compare to the 2014-17 model?
Yes they work fine. Built in Nav is similar but definitely a step refinement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thats covered on a couple other threads. If you have a 2016 and forward body/chassis controller in your car the seats/wheel work. There will have to be some sort of fix, flash or possible CAN module change between the new unit and older BC for this to get corrected.

Regarding the 2014+ comparisons my 2017 was a newer (Harmon still) version from my 2014 JGC Overland. The 2017 was a nice upgrade but still similar to my 2014 in most aspects. The 2018 version (Panasonic) is much better overall.

Navigation messages work through the IC as in the older (Harmon) models.
I know it’s a module needed for the heated seats/steering wheel to work. That’s been the main hold up for Charger and Challenger guys as well. As of a couple weeks ago it was still under development. Has anything changed?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Folks with official 2018 vehicles are currently getting OTA updates

USA-ER-18.14.0-20170908-E06W

Let’s see how long and hard it is for us to get the update manually or OTA.

It’s great this update came out now, while we’ll within the 30 day return policy.
By the way it is 30 days not 90 as their web site implied.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts

It’s great this update came out now, while we’ll within the 30 day return policy.
Keep us up to date if yours receives an update. Im currently using the guy I work with a 2018 vin to check the site

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you can't get an update yourself, will infotainment provide the updates for those who purchased the new system?

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
If you can't get an update yourself, will infotainment provide the updates for those who purchased the new system?
Yes, but they are getting it the same way we would and will they be around say 3 years from now?

You can easily find VIN#'s on the Web (they have to be sold vehicles).

So I searched for 2018 Jeeps sold in August, I tried 3 and none of them worked "Your Vehicle is up to Date".

Problem is, the OTA release could go out long before they put it out for download. And I'm worried the VIN's we try might have got the OTA update by the time it is available for download and the system will report "Already up to date" (it technical SHOULD do that, why tell someone you need to update your radio if the system already knows it's done). Prior to 2017 it wasn't quite so smart, but it's getting smarter, knowing if you've had recalls done etc.

If you put a Challenger 2017 VIN's in it will show a download available for a UAQ radio. Which is a good sign. But I'm concerned things have changed on 2018. I hope not and it won't be long before we can download it with any active (sold) 2018 VIN.

If it's not available by the time my 30 days are up it will be a tough choice. The radio is otherwise working awesome and well worth the upgrade (if we can easily, reliably, long term get updates). I don't mind doing it manually.

OTA is looking very doubtful.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Received mine this morning. After a couple of start/stop cycles, all the Apps where updated. After the new update, some of the Apps were inactive or reverted to an old version. All are now updated. Nevertheless, Android Auto is still a problem. Keeps restarting by itself and locking up (not the UAQ, just Android Auto). I am going to try the USB cord that came with the phone to see if that makes a difference. Will keep you posted if I notice anything else.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Received mine this morning. After a couple of start/stop cycles, all the Apps where updated. After the new update, some of the Apps were inactive or reverted to an old version. All are now updated. Nevertheless, Android Auto is still a problem. Keeps restarting by itself and locking up (not the UAQ, just Android Auto). I am going to try the USB cord that came with the phone to see if that makes a difference. Will keep you posted if I notice anything else.
Careful saying "yours updated" in "Bootleg UAQ" radios thread :)

Glad to see all the apps updated too.

For grins, can you check your VIN here and see if it says you have an update to download

https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

I've tried a bunch of VIN's off the web that don't work, but since we know yours updated maybe it will list it.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
442 Posts

For grins, can you check your VIN here and see if it says you have an update to download

I've tried a bunch of VIN's off the web that don't work, but since we know yours updated maybe it will list it.
Does your radio have any wireless connectivity? I hit the assist button but it always states call failed. Looking at the signal bars it’s empty and just says 3G all the time

·
Registered
178 Posts

Sorry about that, my bad. I should have known since I have the factory installed UAQ. No updates appear in that link with my VIN. Says I am up-to-date. I was checking everyday and it always said I was up-to-date.

Reactions: jager24
41 - 60 of 1303 Posts