Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1302 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Was your UAQ new or from a used vehicle ? Just curious if being from a used vehicle that’s already been activated if it would work or not

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was your UAQ new or from a used vehicle ? Just curious if being from a used vehicle that’s already been activated if it would work or not
My unit was new, but I don't think that matters as far as OTA updates are concerned. Your VIN is stored in the vehicle systems not the head unit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My unit was new, but I don't think that matters as far as OTA updates are concerned. Your VIN is stored in the vehicle systems not the head unit.
As an additional point, my nephew purchased a new 2018 Limited over 2 years ago. He had all the factory antennas and original UAQ head unit and his VIN is properly registered with the current Guardian uConnect service. He received the v21.9 software update OTA shortly after delivery. He has not had an OTA update of any kind since then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had the LTE antenna installed in my 2016 Summit along with a Mopar purchased UAQ Nav unit for a year. To my knowledge, this setup is not capable of receiving OTA updates since my VIN is registered as having the older Harmon Kardon RA4 Nav unit and OTA updates are distributed by uConnect based on your VIN. I have not heard of anyone that has been able to get their VIN officially re-registered with a converted Head unit. Your only update option is via USB and that will depend on getting access to the appropriate update files. There are a few update files available for download mentioned earlier in this thread that you might try. My unit arrived with the current recommended JGC software version 21.9 and since everything works perfectly, I have never attempted a USB update beyond this version.

As for the benefit of the LTE antenna; I'm not sure if it is actually improving anything since there is no noticeable difference in my in vehicle 4G cell service vs the UAQ alone.
I agree with your point regarding the LTE antenna, I have the old antenna and the 2018 UAQ that give the LTE WiFi(speeds rage 20 to 30 mbps down and 20+ up, depending the cell reception) I don’t think the antenna has anything to do with the updates.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree with your point regarding the LTE antenna, I have the old antenna and the 2018 UAQ that give the LTE WiFi (speeds rage 20 to 30 mbps down and 20+ up, depending the cell reception) I don’t think the antenna has anything to do with the updates.
Not to nick-pick, but I want to be clear... Do you mean cellular data over LTE network, or do you mean the mobile WiFi hotspot built into the UAQ? These are not the same, and I think previously in the thread, there were folks conflating these.

Are you able to actually see and connect to the UAQ's built-in mobile WiFi hotspot? Or are you simply saying that you installed the UAQ's secondary (inner-dash-mounted) LTE antenna, and you feel that your phone is using the UAQ's secondary LTE antenna to get better LTE reception than your phone otherwise would get without it?

I have never been able to get my phone to even see the UAQ's built-in WiFi hotspot or SSID being advertised, let alone actually connect to the mobile WiFi hotspot. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not to nick-pick, but I want to be clear... Do you mean cellular data over LTE network, or do you mean the mobile WiFi hotspot built into the UAQ? These are not the same, and I think previously in the thread, there were folks conflating these.

Are you able to actually see and connect to the UAQ's built-in mobile WiFi hotspot? Or are you simply saying that you installed the UAQ's secondary (inner-dash-mounted) LTE antenna, and you feel that your phone is using the UAQ's secondary LTE antenna to get better LTE reception than your phone otherwise would get without it?

I have never been able to get my phone to even see the UAQ's built-in WiFi hotspot or SSID being advertised, let alone actually connect to the mobile WiFi hotspot.
I can connect to the UAQ WiFi. There are other people who were able to as well. You need to enable it by clicking the small square box on the upside corner of the WiFi. (There are lots of conflicting opinions why one can)
I don’t know about the extra LTE antenna in the dash or any other LTE network.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can connect to the UAQ WiFi. There are other people who were able to as well. You need to enable it by clicking the small square box on the upside corner of the WiFi. (There are lots of conflicting opinions why one can)
I don’t know about the extra LTE antenna in the dash or any other LTE network.
Okay, thanks - yes, I know how to enable the mobile hotspot (very familiar and actually used it on my factory HU for a little while)... but even with it enabled and even after trying to change the SSID to several different things, I still have never been able to see/connect from any phone or other device (I have tried several iPhones, an iPad, two laptops, and nothing is able to see the UAQ's mobile WiFi hotspot).

Question... you say, "I have had the LTE antenna installed in my 2016 Summit along with a Mopar purchased UAQ Nav unit for a year."
- Did you actually install the secondary in-dash LTE antenna or do you only have the factory roof-top antenna? Or I guess more specifically, what is the "LTE antenna" that you installed that you were describing?

The reason I am puzzled, is that we seem to have the exact same setup but we are seeing different results, so I am interested in trying to figure out why. I too have a 2016 Summit and installed a new from Mopar UAQ.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay, thanks - yes, I know how to enable the mobile hots

Question... you say, "I have had the LTE antenna installed in my 2016 Summit along with a Mopar purchased UAQ Nav unit for a year."
- Did you actually install the secondary in-dash LTE antenna or do you only have the factory roof-top antenna? Or I guess more specifically, what is the "LTE antenna" that you installed that you were describing?

The reason I am puzzled, is that we seem to have the exact same setup but we are seeing different results, so I am interested in trying to figure out why. I too have a 2016 Summit and installed a new from Mopar UAQ.
That was not me who said that.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I made the original comments. And Yes, I did install the in dash secondary LTE antenna with the hope that it would enable OTA updates, which it does NOT. This second antenna has had no noticeable impact on my in vehicle cellular or WiFi service. Maybe it is connecting from greater distances, if so, I can't tell the difference. Regarding the WiFi hotspot. I have always been able to see and connect to the SSID signal, with or without the extra antenna, on any Apple device I have. I also never changed any of the factory SSID or password settings.

I have no idea why you can't connect, despite having the same setup. All I did was install the new Mopar UAQ unit along with the required media module. My UAQ had the recommended v21.9 software preinstalled and I never attempted to update to the higher versions others have. I did originally try going through the AT&T WiFi in dash setup, hoping this might enable OTA, but it wouldn't complete, I assume due to my unregistered VIN. Also, It is just over 1 year and I still have SXM service.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I made the original comments. And Yes, I did install the in dash secondary LTE antenna with the hope that it would enable OTA updates, which it does NOT. This second antenna has had no noticeable impact on my in vehicle cellular or WiFi service. Maybe it is connecting from greater distances, if so, I can't tell the difference. Regarding the WiFi hotspot. I have always been able to see and connect to the SSID signal, with or without the extra antenna, on any Apple device I have. I also never changed any of the factory SSID or password settings.

I have no idea why you can't connect, despite having the same setup. All I did was install the new Mopar UAQ unit along with the required media module. My UAQ had the recommended v21.9 software preinstalled and I never attempted to update to the higher versions others have. I did originally try going through the AT&T WiFi in dash setup, hoping this might enable OTA, but it wouldn't complete, I assume due to my unregistered VIN. Also, It is just over 1 year and I still have SXM service.
Thank you for the detailed reply - yeah, I have always felt it was pretty weird that I cannot even see the UAQ's WiFi hotspot SSID. Short of installing the in-dash LTE antenna, I have tried everything you have as well (my UAQ is still running the factory installed v21.9 as well - I have never tried to update)... so I thought maybe that antenna was also used for the WiFi hotspot, but appears not. It's not really that big of a deal for me, but it has just always bothered me that I cannot see the SSID when I enable the hotspot...lol

Question about the in-dash LTE antenna - when you bought it, did it come with the cable? Or did you have to purchase the cable separately? I ask, because when I try to look up the part for the antenna, it never shows the cable, and I cannot seem to find a separate part number for the cable. If you bought the cable separate, is it easy for you to provide the part number for the cable?

(also, you may have seen my previous post, but if not, the free trial for SXM on my new UAQ unit ended after 1 year and 7 months [almost to the day], so it appears that they track either when a unit gets manufactured or sold, maybe)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Question about the in-dash LTE antenna - when you bought it, did it come with the cable? Or did you have to purchase the cable separately? I ask, because when I try to look up the part for the antenna, it never shows the cable, and I cannot seem to find a separate part number for the cable. If you bought the cable separate, is it easy for you to provide the part number for the cable?
Go to Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2018-2020 model year radios. In the middle of the page is the Antenna info, including the part numbers. Be away that the cable identified is not very long and will not reach the connector on the Antenna if it is mounted as shown on the in Dash antenna illustration. You have to rotate it 180 so the connector faces the radio back for this cable to work. The actual 2018 GC must have a connector built into the wiring harness if the illustration is accurate. The antenna mounts to plastic fins under the dash using either screws/bolts you must supply, or using cable ties.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Go to Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 - 2018-2020 model year radios. In the middle of the page is the Antenna info, including the part numbers. Be away that the cable identified is not very long and will not reach the connector on the Antenna if it is mounted as shown on the in Dash antenna illustration. You have to rotate it 180 so the connector faces the radio back for this cable to work. The actual 2018 GC must have a connector built into the wiring harness if the illustration is accurate. The antenna mounts to plastic fins under the dash using either screws/bolts you must supply, or using cable ties.
Awesome, thanks for the link and info on the cable length. 👍

eta: holy crap... looks like the cable costs about the same as the antenna itself! 😮😂

·
Registered
29 Posts
This second antenna has had no noticeable impact on my in vehicle cellular or WiFi service. Maybe it is connecting from greater distances, if so, I can't tell the difference. Regarding the WiFi hotspot. I have always been able to see and connect to the SSID signal, with or without the extra antenna, on any Apple device I have. I also never changed any of the factory SSID or password settings.
Interesting!!
The Antennas are probably for redundancy. Also the part and the cable are not that costly as well, just around $20 and $10.

You have to rotate it 180 so the connector faces the radio back for this cable to work. The actual 2018 GC must have a connector built into the wiring harness if the illustration is accurate. The antenna mounts to plastic fins under the dash using either screws/bolts you must supply, or using cable ties.
You say rotate 180°! will it fit the space if you turn it 180°?

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
12 Posts
i installed the antenna too and noticed no change but what was the red connector for on the back of the radio and what was that blue connector wire that was in there for?

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
12 Posts
and OMG what a improvement over the Harman radio 1 thing i noticed sound quality was improved 100% quicker screen loading and a great looking HD screen brighter with more life i love using my GPS its awesome the wifi in the jeep connected to my phone instantly with no problem and i had no problems changing the password

·
Registered
2015 Summit EcoDiesel
1 Posts
Just want to add another success story upgrading the radio in a 2015 Summit to a 2018 UGQ. I've not seen many reports of people upgrading export models so thought I'd add my experience...

UGQ is the European version of the UAQ, same functionality but with DAB instead of Sirius and of course European maps. Mine was manufactured September 2018 and came from a salvage 2019 Renegade, after fitting it and leaving it a few hours to connect to all the ECUs on the Summit it all works perfectly; HVAC, seat heating and venting, suspension and safety settings, DAB, CarPlay - everything I can find to test really. I even have Off Road pages working after reseting the applications! Interestingly my UGQ is running version 28.31 of Uconnect.

Part number for the UGQ is 68366558AB, cost me roughly $330 (£250) on eBay. For the USB hub I ordered a brand new 68323663AE from the USA, came in at $170 (£130) with shipping and taxes (UK dealer price was more than double that!). It cost another $7 (£5) for the unlock code.

Really love how much faster and sharper the newer HD screen is, the only thing now is the picture from the reversing camera looks bad on that nice screen. Do the 2018's have a higher resolution reverse camera fitted? And if so is it plug and play to the 2015's too?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just want to add another success story upgrading the radio in a 2015 Summit to a 2018 UGQ. I've not seen many reports of people upgrading export models so thought I'd add my experience...

UGQ is the European version of the UAQ, same functionality but with DAB instead of Sirius and of course European maps. Mine was manufactured September 2018 and came from a salvage 2019 Renegade, after fitting it and leaving it a few hours to connect to all the ECUs on the Summit it all works perfectly; HVAC, seat heating and venting, suspension and safety settings, DAB, CarPlay - everything I can find to test really. I even have Off Road pages working after reseting the applications! Interestingly my UGQ is running version 28.31 of Uconnect.

Part number for the UGQ is 68366558AB, cost me roughly $330 (£250) on eBay. For the USB hub I ordered a brand new 68323663AE from the USA, came in at $170 (£130) with shipping and taxes (UK dealer price was more than double that!). It cost another $7 (£5) for the unlock code.

Really love how much faster and sharper the newer HD screen is, the only thing now is the picture from the reversing camera looks bad on that nice screen. Do the 2018's have a higher resolution reverse camera fitted? And if so is it plug and play to the 2015's too?
I’m having the same issue too. 2016 WK2 upgraded form 8.4 to the 8.4 UAQ and the reverse camera looks like shit. Looks washed out or something like contrast is noticeably different. I read that a factory reset on the radio may help it, however I can’t figure out how to do that on the UAQ. It may do it’s own light balancing on initial reset, and for me I installed the radio when it was raining out so that may have affected it.

does anyone have some pointers?

1261 - 1280 of 1302 Posts