Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Massachusetts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off hello everyone I am new to the forums and glad to be here. My question is what should i ask the dealer to check on this vehicle before giving it to me? I did notice the blower motor was clicking when turning the heat on, frame looked fine from when I was on the ground checking it out but what really needs to be checked with this? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2005 WK
798 Posts
Before you buy, if you have a local mechanic's shop nearby, for around $75 they'll do a "new car purchase inspection". It's not a super in-depth inspection but they'll give the vehicle an overall inspection, putting it up on the lift. On mine, they checked the mechanicals, brakes, fluids, any leaks, belts, tires, cycle through heat & AC settings, check lights, gauges and perform a test drive. It turned out I needed to have a couple of seals replaced and a cv joint. I did not notice those things when I crawled under to look it over before I made my purchase.
Well worth the money for piece of mind. For me it wasn't expensive at all to get those issues fixed and my mechanic said, "the previous owner really took care of this Jeep"

·
Registered
436 Posts
First off hello everyone I am new to the forums and glad to be here. My question is what should i ask the dealer to check on this vehicle before giving it to me? I did notice the blower motor was clicking when turning the heat on, frame looked fine from when I was on the ground checking it out but what really needs to be checked with this? Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
Is this a Jeep dealer?....I would have him check the front differential isolation bushings. At that mileage you could assume they are worn badly or fractured. I would also have him show you (if available) the maintenance record for this vehicle. It is very important that all the fluids were changed as per schedule. Have them pull one spark plug to see condition. I am probably forgetting a lot of items, but I am sure others will chime in. Good luck!
PS# I hope you have some mechanical abilities. To save a lot of cash with the maintenance of this vehicle, you will need it. :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
No way I would ever buy a WK with that many miles even if every single record is included. The most unreliable, costly to maintain vehicle I have ever owned, by far. FCA and Jeep occupy the spots at the very bottom of JD Power year after year, and I'll never buy another after this. 05 is the first WK year, and has the most problems.

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
2,004 Posts
Welcome to the forum. All good recommendations above. In some ways I agree with dmsfun, and in some ways I disagree. Yes, these things can be maintenance hogs if you don't stay on top of them. Get behind and you'll suffer. I have two early Hemi vehciles, an 05 LX, bought new, and I've never had a day's problem with it.....and an 06 WK, bought almost 9 years ago, and I've never had a day's problem with it either, but neither have EVER been to the stealer or independent shop.....my son and I do everything except front end alignments. As said above, have it thoroughly checked out first and, if possible, do most of the work yourself. If you are "very" proactive and follow or exceed the recommended maintenance schedule, you'll pretty much end up with an OK vehicle. IMO, the key is to start with something that is in pretty good shape to begin with, otherwise getting it in tip top shape could cost a small fortune....escpecially if you don't do the work yourself. Also, if you're in the snow belt or place that gets a lot of rain/flooding, you'll probably encounter more issues than someone that lives in the banana belt.

FCA, DCX when these early ones were buiit, did miss the boat on a number of things but, if you read up on these forums, you can catch, monitor, take preventative action and resolve most of them before they cause issues.

Good luck whatever you do, and there are plenty folks on here that can offer lots of suggestions and help......most have been there, done that.

·
Registered
Massachusetts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys this has been a nightmare trying to get the vehicle. I'm not 100% what direction I will go with this at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts