Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had these installed after doing lots of research on other tires. The K02 was going to be my first choice but the common issues with running these was the slight speedometer disruption, 20lbs heavier than the stock Fortera HLs, and gas mileage loss. I will add that I was pretty content with the Fortera HLs but I know many who hated the tire including a buddy of mine. I didn’t and they last me 47.5k with 5/32 left on them. I commute highway round trip 25 miles every day and rarely hit the mountains. I love in Seattle so we also see a lot of rain during winter months.

This time around I did want a more aggressive looking tire, capable of all seasons and terrain. My buddy ran the Duratrecs and recommended them or K02s. I ended up choosing the Pirellis because they’re all new, a few decent article reviews, only 10lb heavier than the stocks tires, and seemed to have a good combo of highway and off road capability. They were also $50 cheaper per tires. I will say the price of a K02 is surely warranted and BFG makes a bad ass tire. It wasn’t the tire for me and I didn’t want the full off-road setup.

I went with 275/55/20 and do not have rubbing issues at full turn. I didn’t pick up any highway hum which surprised me give the tread pattern. So far I really like the look of these tires and will update the thread if there’s interest.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve had the tires now for a few weeks. It took some time to grow on me because they feel really soft. I didn’t initially like this because I expected a little more feel of the road when driving. I would say driving on these is like the floating feel of driving a Cadillac (suspension wise). It’s soft. That said, they handle very well on the corners and absorb bumps nicely. This has grown on me. Definitely a satisfied customer and mpg only seems affected by 1 MPG.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cheroker Overland ATG ORAII
1,359 Posts
Thanks for the report. Have you tried running them at a higher pressure?
I have the Scorpion Verde plus's on my Overland and run them at 36, which seems to be the ideal pressure for them. Very good wear right across the tread pattern and I also tow a trailer. Very pleased with them still, even with 26k miles on them.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
I have the Scorpion Verde plus's on my Overland and run them at 36, which seems to be the ideal pressure for them. Very good wear right across the tread pattern and I also tow a trailer. Very pleased with them still, even with 26k miles on them.
I loved the Verde+ as well, and ran them at 37-38 on the front and 36 on the rear [v8 weight]. To me they seemed much quieter and even more of the on-rails feeling than Michelin Premier or M+S LTX. The big grooves were really nice on rain, and not too shabby on moderate snow.

Longevity, not so much. Probably driving style and that pig of a V8.

Just went back to Michelin and it is really noticeable the way the Pirelli responds better to the wheel and gives more feedback. Unfortunately got a construction nail right on the sidewall tread boundary and they were worn and local tire shop didn't have any in stock or would have repeated them, even with the lower treadlife.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Just went back to Michelin and it is really noticeable the way the Pirelli responds better to the wheel and gives more feedback. Unfortunately got a construction nail right on the sidewall tread boundary and they were worn and local tire shop didn't have any in stock or would have repeated them, even with the lower treadlife.
That being said, Mine have been great other than wear. Comfortable ,good in Rain and responsive.... Whatever they give me back in credit I'm going to prob put right back in another set. They also have the premium SUV tire look too....:)

Reactions: HeiressRoxy

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cheroker Overland ATG ORAII
1,359 Posts
I agree with both your comments.
The way it is going, I reckon I will get about max 45k off the Scorpion Verde's.
I bought them from our local Discount Tire and have them rotated and balanced by them every 6k so I know I will definitely get some credit and, like stbentoak, will re-up on another set of the SV's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

I'm currently running them at 36 PSI. I should add that they are also very quiet on the highway. They ride and sound like an all-season but have the all-terrain footprint and style. 85% of my driving consists of highway miles for those wondering.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Malibu LT
81 Posts
I agree with both your comments.
The way it is going, I reckon I will get about max 45k off the Scorpion Verde's.
I bought them from our local Discount Tire and have them rotated and balanced by them every 6k so I know I will definitely get some credit and, like stbentoak, will re-up on another set of the SV's.
When you do go to re-up for your new set, they'll show you the newer version of the tire they developed with Pirelli. It's called the Pirelli Scorpion Strada All Season. They claim to have improved traction, handling, ride quality, and life expectancy. I'm hesitant to believe the last one. While I have an intimate knowledge of Discount Tire, I know that placing improved traction, handling, and ride quality comes at the sacrifice of longevity. I like the tire personally, but with my constant off road endeavors, it makes no sense for me to have the Scorpion Strada All Season, or the Scorpion Verde. I'm currently on the Falken Wildpeak AT/3W and have been EXTREMELY impressed with how they've held up thus far, 15k in. From my professional experience, I don't rush out and buy a new tire, regardless of the reviews. I've had the KO2, the General X3 (M/T), the Duratrac, Cooper ATP, and I'm MOST satisfied with the Falken. The performance is almost identical to that of the KO2 (haven't had them in a good snow yet). They are dollar for dollar as good as the KO2, but $80 PER TIRE less (based off size 265/70/17 search on Discounttiredirect.com) I'm all for brand loyalty, a lot of the time to a fault, but $400 difference for 5 tires is huge. That's a Diablo tune, or Billy 5100's, or almost a K&N and Gibson exhaust combo. My point is I've always been a BFG guy (10 sets of their tires in the last 8-10 years) but Falken nailed it with this one.

Also, sorry for thread jacking, and then rambling on top of the thread jack.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
When you do go to re-up for your new set, they'll show you the newer version of the tire they developed with Pirelli. It's called the Pirelli Scorpion Strada All Season. They claim to have improved traction, handling, ride quality, and life expectancy. I'm hesitant to believe the last one. While I have an intimate knowledge of Discount Tire, I know that placing improved traction, handling, and ride quality comes at the sacrifice of longevity. I like the tire personally, but with my constant off road endeavors, it makes no sense for me to have the Scorpion Strada All Season, or the Scorpion Verde. I'm currently on the Falken Wildpeak AT/3W and have been EXTREMELY impressed with how they've held up thus far, 15k in. From my professional experience, I don't rush out and buy a new tire, regardless of the reviews. I've had the KO2, the General X3 (M/T), the Duratrac, Cooper ATP, and I'm MOST satisfied with the Falken. The performance is almost identical to that of the KO2 (haven't had them in a good snow yet). They are dollar for dollar as good as the KO2, but $80 PER TIRE less (based off size 265/70/17 search on Discounttiredirect.com) I'm all for brand loyalty, a lot of the time to a fault, but $400 difference for 5 tires is huge. That's a Diablo tune, or Billy 5100's, or almost a K&N and Gibson exhaust combo. My point is I've always been a BFG guy (10 sets of their tires in the last 8-10 years) but Falken nailed it with this one.

Also, sorry for thread jacking, and then rambling on top of the thread jack.
I'm gonna take whatever tire that they will give me the most credit for which will prob be in the Pirelli Line.... It will be the last set I put on this vehicle and will be in well enough shape to trade at a shade before 100K miles.. Doesn't matter to me if its Scorp Verde's or Strada's or whatever, they'll only have to go about 25K.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven’t run these in the snow yet. In Seattle, we don’t get much snow. We may get a light dusting next week so I’ll be sure to add anything to this thread. These All Terrain tires have been awesome. Will definitely look at buying them again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm currently running them at 36 PSI. I should add that they are also very quiet on the highway. They ride and sound like an all-season but have the all-terrain footprint and style. 85% of my driving consists of highway miles for those wondering.

Just got mine. Definitely had to run them at 36. Way too rough at 39 where the tire place had them

·
Registered
Commander Limited
30 Posts
That being said, Mine have been great other than wear. Comfortable ,good in Rain and responsive.... Whatever they give me back in credit I'm going to prob put right back in another set. They also have the premium SUV tire look too....:)
I looked at the Pirelli on Tire Rack, and compared them to the BP All Terrain, and I decided to go with the Pirelli, and get the 5th tire for a spare. Thanks for the review on the tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts