Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After deliberating about what tire to put on my 2018 High Altitude for the Spring and Summer, the price incentives from Discount Tire Direct and Pirelli over last weekend were too much to resist. I had put a set of Continental Terrain Contacts on last fall, and for an All terrain, they were extremely quiet and handled well. Also very effective in Winter weather. They were,however,an AT tire nonetheless. The Pirellis are on now and they are really great.I know there have been some treadlife issues, but I only put on 8 or 9 K miles a year, so that's not an immediate concern. I find the Pirellis extremely comfortable and agile, Like taking off your appropriate work boots and putting on sneakers. I planned on getting a set of rims over the summer and putting the TerrainContacts back on next fall, but after driving on the Pirellis, if they are pretty effective in the Winter, I'd like to leave them on all year.In addition an OEM version of the Pirellis are optional on the HA and Summit, so they look "right" to me. So, after all that, who has some Winter experience with those Pirelli tires to share. I'm on the Coast in Southern RI. Not real severe Winters, mostly 3-6" slushy stuff but still a couple of biggies a year 12-15" and I do head up North to ME and NH occasionally.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,991 Posts
The Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus is a very comfortable tire. They do seem to wear a bit faster than many folks prefer, however. That was my experience, too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim. I know that you have had them before and your opinion is always appreciated. For what I paid for them it's worth trying them out. If they don't work out, BFGoodrich has an Advantage Sport LT Touring tire with the Mountain/Snowflake rating coming out in our size in the Fall that looks interesting. I've got a feeling that the true 4 season tire segment is going to expand rapidly in the future.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks Jim. I know that you have had them before and your opinion is always appreciated. For what I paid for them it's worth trying them out. If they don't work out, BFGoodrich has an Advantage Sport LT Touring tire with the Mountain/Snowflake rating coming out in our size in the Fall that looks interesting. I've got a feeling that the true 4 season tire segment is going to expand rapidly in the future.
If you are looking for a real four season tire with snowflake make no mistakes and go get Nokian WRG3. I have them on mine WJ and they are so good I can't even do a doughnut in the snow.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks dsi... I really was considering them(Nokians). Actually, I still am, but I believe some folks had premature wear issues with them and possibly noise because it's a directional tire. have you run them long enough to speak to that?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I too have the Pirelli's and while they have been good, mine are 4-5/32 at 18K miles, and are going to get warrantied out by summer. If I have to take then again to get credit I prob will, if not on to something else. Regarding Nokians...
Nokians are fine winter tires, But here's the rub... You can order them and you will eventually get them, BUT... If you scrap one out for any reason, you may be dead in the water waiting for a replacement tire. I wanted them too at 1st, but I enquired at my local Discount tire ( Who is nationwide and does handle Nokians....) and they said after searching the entire country that they only had 4 pieces in the entire country for the size I needed. (265/50/20). It would take 10 days to get those 4 all in one place if I wanted to buy them. After pondering that for a minute, I said I'll go with the Blizzaks... Had all 4 locally ready to go that day, with a 70.00 rebate. This is why Tirerack does not handle Nokians.....They are a fine tire, but make sure you know the backstory too, at least in our Chicagoland area.....

Reactions: Stevm65

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. Still looking for someone who used them in a variety of Winter conditions, though.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Stevm65, I had previously the WRG2 version for almost 4 years and 27K miles.
They were perfect in snow and during breaking. If you run them too much in the summer with temperatures over 70F they may not last that much, but you can still get 20K for sure. If you run Blizzak in the summer you will kill them much sooner for sure. My WJ is mostly winter vehicle, but I drive it a little in the summer. I do not think the Nokians were more noisy compared to the Goodyear Wranglers I had before. But they are on a 2004 WJ, so there are a lot of other noises :lol:
After 27K miles they were ready for upgrade and I got the WRG3. Yes, they are directional, but man they have so much traction compared to the WRG2's. I love them so much. They are very nice in rain too. I have just over of 1,200 miles on them so far and I like them a lot. Now mine are 18" wheels on the WJ and I had them ordered and installed next day at Tires Plus. Stbentoak could be right about the shortage on 20" tires. You can look at Walmart.com and order them on line. I just did a search and I can have 4 of the 265/50/20 delivered on Friday. There are other online stores that have them also. Just Google it. You know when you go to the tire shops they always try to sell you something that they have better profit on it and try to make excuse about something that their warehouse supplier does not carry regulary. I have to tell you that Tires Plus guy was not very happy when I asked him to match Walmart online pricing..... Mine 2014 Overland will need new tires before next winter and I may go with Nokians again. Driving during winter is always about breaking and turn traction. When I have all the family in the car I want to know that I can count on my tire traction. If you do not want to switch rims/tires for the summer - winter and you are OK with using tires for about 20-25K miles then you should look into the Nokian WRG3 all weather tires for sure.

Reactions: Stevm65

·
Registered
718 Posts
I’ve had three sets of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus and can tell you it is an excellent tire for all 4 seasons. I lived in the endless mountains in PA at the time so the tires were no stranger to heavy snow and ice in the winter. They performed beautifully in the snow, equally well in heavy rain. They were also quiet and rode very well, an excellent all around tire.

HOWEVER, I never got 20,000 miles out of any of them. One set was so bad at 18,000 miles the dealer wouldn’t let me drive home on them. Gave me an overnight loaner until he got the tires the next day. Pirelli gave me a fair adjustment each time, think I ended up paying 25 bucks per tire to replace but at the end of the day switched to Michelin and never looked back.

Good luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I’ve had three sets of the Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus and can tell you it is an excellent tire for all 4 seasons. I lived in the endless mountains in PA at the time so the tires were no stranger to heavy snow and ice in the winter. They performed beautifully in the snow, equally well in heavy rain. They were also quiet and rode very well, an excellent all around tire.

HOWEVER, I never got 20,000 miles out of any of them. One set was so bad at 18,000 miles the dealer wouldn’t let me drive home on them. Gave me an overnight loaner until he got the tires the next day. Pirelli gave me a fair adjustment each time, think I ended up paying 25 bucks per tire to replace but at the end of the day switched to Michelin and never looked back.

Good luck!
Thanks! What Michelin model did you switch to?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts