Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Just grabbed a few bottles of the good stuff from home depot and going to do the front JEEP letters on the hood, the chrome grill, the chrome strip on the running boards and the letters on the chrome rear brow under the window.

Here's my question, any ideas how the rear brow would look with just the letters blacked out and leaving the rest chrome?

Just looking for some opinions, ya know, bc I value them :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You might as well try it. If you don't like the look, take it off. :)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might as well try it. If you don't like the look, take it off. :)
No doubt. The joys of plasti dip. I was just hoping someone already tried it and could post a pic. Oh well, looks like my day off on friday is going to be one hell of a mod day.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy
534 Posts
Here's my question, any ideas how the rear brow would look with just the letters blacked out and leaving the rest chrome
Which year Jeep do you have? This makes a big difference. If its a 2014, I'm not sure what you mean by just painting the letters black, isn't it only the letters that are chrome?

·
Banned
LAREDO
567 Posts
Which year Jeep do you have? This makes a big difference. If its a 2014, I'm not sure what you mean by just painting the letters black, isn't it only the letters that are chrome?
I'm pretty sure Chunderboy has a 2013 and the JEEP lettering is chrome on a chrome strip piece. So doing the JEEP lettering black would make it a lot more noticeable. On the 2014's the area around the JEEP letters is painted body color.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy
534 Posts
I'm pretty sure Chunderboy has a 2013 and the JEEP lettering is chrome on a chrome strip piece. So doing the JEEP lettering black would make it a lot more noticeable. On the 2014's the area around the JEEP letters is painted body color.

Right. That's why I was confused, I assumed he had a 2014 :)

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
206 Posts
So i just did the FLIP of that with the rear chrome brow. Taped over the letters, then sprayed, and peeled. So JEEP is in chrome still. Cool idea of yours though, something diff and would match the front JEEP letters in black.

I will post some pics up soon. One area that would be kinda hard is right around the JEEP letters on the brow. It's kinda of a diff texture chrome there, like embossed letters. You would have to decide where the dip ends and where the chrome begins. Easier to leave the whole JEEP area chrome esp since the dip would get in between the letters, like the "ee"

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i just did the FLIP of that with the rear chrome brow. Taped over the letters, then sprayed, and peeled. So JEEP is in chrome still. Cool idea of yours though, something diff and would match the front JEEP letters in black.

I will post some pics up soon. One area that would be kinda hard is right around the JEEP letters on the brow. It's kinda of a diff texture chrome there, like embossed letters. You would have to decide where the dip ends and where the chrome begins. Easier to leave the whole JEEP area chrome esp since the dip would get in between the letters, like the "ee"
Yea, I def hear what you're saying, but still wanna give it a go. I just like the idea of having contrast back there. Whether I do it your way, the whole rear brow or just the letters will be a game time decision.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right. That's why I was confused, I assumed he had a 2014 :)
Negatory good buddy. My little lady is a 2013 with 1500 miles on her.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here ya go. I did this a while ago and its still holding up well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here ya go. I did this a while ago and its still holding up well.
HAHA. I knew one of the brethren would have done it. Looks awesome.

How many coats and did you mask off in between the letters and the "e" or just scrape it out after it dried?

Got any profile shots, interested in seeing the rims too?

·
Registered
220 Posts
That is 3 coats. When I first did it I masked off all the chrome in between each letter and tried to isolate just the surface of the letters so there would be chrome between each as well as the shapes inside the letters themselves giving it an almost 3D look, but this was extremely difficult to get a smooth result, the dip kept ripping and would leave a jagged appearance so I removed and masked off the entire *Jeep* area and blacked it out.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would look even better if you cleaned out the black inside of the E's and the P.
Maybe this could be done using a toothpick.

I agree. A toothpick or the stick used in shish kebab's works just as good, but longer for a better grip.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here ya go, did mine awhile back

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the stuff! Looks awesome. Any tips you can parse out?

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
206 Posts
Wow, that looks clean! My advice would be to not wait very long before trimming, peeling off tape, etc. I haven't tried this advice myself, but I waited till the next day to remove tape, trim and it was a pain cuz. Had to make sure i peeled only the parts i didn't want and not take too much off. Sharp tool is a must.

I am thinking that if you do this step just a couple hours later or so, it should come of easier.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ok, here is the fruit of my labor.

Did the front grill, front letters, chrome strip along the running boards, rear brow and rear writing.

Next in line (possibly), chrome body molding and window trim.

And also, did a full detailing on her as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
206 Posts
Good stuff dude! Great job. Really like how the letters on the back turned out, and the grill is looking nioce.

I'm def liking the dipped side steps on mine as well. I think we did a good thing there. haha. Your future plans sound highly interesting. That would be unique and prolly look nice with your color and overall theme.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.