Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Plastic Jeep rivets-used in various locations on the WK. Mostly on the bumpers, side skirts and wheel wells. You will need both of these parts if you remove your bumpers, side skirts, wheel well liners, fenders etc. The ChryCo part # for the rivets is 6500911.
plastic rivet(some websites call them nylon rivets)

Plastic rivet tool needed to set the rivets-

Reactions: Oz Overland

·
Registered
14,382 Posts
I was thinking of doing this thread too Scott. Kudos to you. Great minds think alike. I popped one off then I was doing my hid fogs. I got a plastic push rivet from lowes for now but nothing beats the OEM. I just ordered 50 rivets off of ebay but I want to check Lowes to see if they sell the gun.

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked everywhere here locally...finally ordered from ebay for $25

·
RockNrolla/JG Founder
14,649 Posts
this deserves a sticky:)

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we have too many stickies in this forum....the first page is gonna be ALL stickies....LOL

·
Registered
05 WK Laredo
1,928 Posts
I was looking for the plastic rivet gun awhile back. I found one from a supply warehouse by googleing plastic rivet tool seliing for about 20 shipped. But I was too impatient to wait for shipping when I got my side skirts I set them by hand. They all came out very tight, still in the tight from months ago no issues. If your either cheap, or cant wait for shipping, which I happen to be both, it can def be done by useing pliers and a closed end wrench.

I worked the rivet first to soften the plastic where the tabs bend.

Held the head of the rivet tight up to the piece being riveted while pulling the pin out with pliers.

All installed, leaveing the pins on where the rivets dont show. The visible ones I clipped off the pins.

·
Registered
05 WK Laredo
1,928 Posts
When I was doing my grill swap I ordered new fasteners off someone on ebay, he had all types and sizes of fasteners. I got a box of 50 of the same fasteners for about the same price of 2 oem fasteners. I even emailed him with the part number and he found me the exact ones I needed. I also got a box of 100 interior panel trim fasteners from him too cheap.

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah....theres websites that sell the rivets a lot cheaper than the dealer.....

·
Registered
05 WK Laredo
1,928 Posts
Is there even a How-To section on here? A section to go in and find accurate info, like diagrams and install instructions would be great. For example i was in a thread recently and someone happened to post a link to a mopar site where you type in the year and make and it had the complete wireing color code for the whole WK basically. If I didnt stumble up on it i'd never of known about it. I already used it twice in a week.

http://dto.vftis.com/mopar/main.asp

·
Registered
617 Posts
Can you use aluminum rivets?I've been using them for years working on stock cars and I know they hold like a champ.

·
Registered
05 WK Laredo
1,928 Posts
Can you use aluminum rivets?I've been using them for years working on stock cars and I know they hold like a champ.

The metal rivets they sell at Homedepot and hardware stores have small heads, the plastic rivets are typically larger. The holes on the plastic parts on these WK's are large diameter. I came across the push in pin type plastic fasteners, like the ones on the grill on the WK just different sizes and lenghts that would prob work just as good. Just have to know the hole diameter and depth when your ordering.

Zip ties and duct tape works wonders as well. Lol. On my last 95 GC the weld along the front edge of the hood was so rusted the upper and lower seperated so I ran duct tape across the front to the sides, to keep the hood from popping up. I happen to find a hood the exact same color at a junk yard for like 75 bucks so i got that after awhile. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
05 WK Laredo
1,928 Posts
The do make a small,medium and large head rivets as well Timmy.

I know, but when I was looking around at the metal ones the back part of them, where they compress and split did not appear to be that wide enough to be able to catch around the large holes in the plastic parts. meaning if you use a metal rivet the piece will just fall off basically because the metal rivet is not wide enough. Thats only going off the sizes i found at hardware stores, and even grainger. You can tell the difference of the sizes between plastic and metal rivets just with the guns/setters they use. The ones for metal rivets are too small to accept the pins of the plastic rivets, I tried them all.

Look on the packaging of the metal rivets, and they list the hole needed to be drilled for the rivets to go thru and be set. The sizes are no where near those on the plastic parts.

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you better gid rid of any vehicle nowadays then

·
Registered
617 Posts
I know Scotty,I know that it's just impossible to get away from plastic but when it comes to fasteners I rather replace with metal.

·
Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
57,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
all the metal rivets like your talking about have small heads....and wont they rust?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.