Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know that a plugin hybrid version of the Wrangler is coming in planned for 2020. Has there been any word if the current or next generation Grand Cherokee will get a PHEV drivetrain?

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
I don't recall that anything specific has been mentioned, but I strongly suspect that Jeep will be considering hybrid options across the line. Hybrid is actually an ideal situation for Jeep to embrace relative to electrification as it retains "go anywhere" range while benefiting from fuel economy and honestly, really good performance if they implement it well. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid I owned previous to my JGC was absolutely stellar when it came to acceleration, for example, because of the torque that the two electric motors (front and rear) brought to the table.

For the WL (MY20+ JGC) you'll want to visit the WL forum area to keep up on information as it's discovered since that's where things are being compiled. Scott just posted some renderings in the last week, as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't recall that anything specific has been mentioned, but I strongly suspect that Jeep will be considering hybrid options across the line. Hybrid is actually an ideal situation for Jeep to embrace relative to electrification as it retains "go anywhere" range while benefiting from fuel economy and honestly, really good performance if they implement it well. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid I owned previous to my JGC was absolutely stellar when it came to acceleration, for example, because of the torque that the two electric motors (front and rear) brought to the table.

For the WL (MY20+ JGC) you'll want to visit the WL forum area to keep up on information as it's discovered since that's where things are being compiled. Scott just posted some renderings in the last week, as a matter of fact.
Thanks! I hadn't looked in the WL forum. *doh*

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,429 Posts
It would make sense a Hybrid option would be on the next platform. While you can argue that the equipment could be retrofitted, it wouldn't be easy and require engineering that is usually reserved for designing new platforms.

As well, we seem to forget or not realize, the biggest thing that goes along with a new platform is an overhaul of the Assembly Line, and efficient assembly line process is the only thing keeping the price of new vehicles down. If you tried to produce todays GC with its technology and so much more equipment, using 1960's assembly line process, well a base JGC would easily cost $120k.

And I agree, Hybrid doesn't mean econo car, it can have all sorts of benefits. It just started in economy cars to make super fuel efficient cars, and that would be a benefit to any vehicle they apply the technology too. But don't expect you Hybrid JGC to get the same fuel efficiency as a Prius, it will be better, but not an economy car.

And like what is already speculated, will it be an improvement in off road ruggedness? There are a lot of things that can go wrong, not to mention very expensive battery packs and electric drive motors that could be destroyed if they become immersed in water. True, I'm sure Jeep will test and develop for that, but can they totally eliminate the risk of the very expensive failure from water/mud/rock incursion?

·
Registered
2018 GC Summit 4x4
1,555 Posts
If they do make a hybrid version of this Jeep it better get a resounding MPG bump.

I have a V8, in mixed use I’m averaging 13-14mpg. I just rented a Tahoe for a week. Similar mixed driving (probably slightly more aggressive since it’s a rental) and I was averaging 18mpg.

The Tahoe is far larger and heavier yet it’s v8 was getting better mpg. I hope any mild hybrid they utilize will see a major increase in mpg

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

My Wrangler has over 170,000 miles on it and is slowly dying as a daily driver. I am considering a Tesla Model 3 to take over the daily driver duties.

My Commander is well over 70,000 miles so I am trying to figure out what Jeep will offer me as a replacement road trip vehicle in 2-3 years. It needs to be a Jeep -- sorry it is in my blood -- it needs to have a 500+ mile range (something the Commander lacks) and it needs to be able tow over 7000 pounds. So a revised diesel or a PHEV would seem to be the ideal powertrain.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy STIEVO
2,107 Posts
I am also considering the future hybrid Grand Cherokee. I know it will be coming and I know that the plug-in version of the Wrangler will be coming next year. But I am yet to see the mild hybrid.

Now I am sure there will be a difference between the mild hybrids and the plug in hybrids, and I do not mean just battery size. I really hope that Jeep will find a way to crank more power out of their hybrid powertrains because they have A LOT of catching up to Range Rover P400e. Some100 hp and 170 lb-ft in combined prowess

RANGE ROVER P400e
POWERTRAIN: 2.0-liter turbocharged I4, eight-speed automatic, 85-kW electric motor, 4WD
OUTPUT: 398 total system hp, 472 total system lb-ft of torque

Jeep Wrangler Mild Hybrid
The 2.0L eTorque engine will offer 270 horsepower and 295lb-ft of torque.

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts
kind of off topic but not too far i don't think, why are diesel motors never used in hybrid vehicles? in the regular application a diesel motor far out preforms a gas motor in MPGs and such, so in theory paring say a 2.0l turbo diesel that in a 4 dr car gets 35mpg into a jeep with a hybrid system wouldn't that go to like..... 50?

·
Super Moderator
9,974 Posts
Sardo, it may be because diesels like to "run" for best efficiency. I suspect they are also dirtier on startup...I know my Kubota is...and that may also be a factor, although it's extreme speculation on my part. There's a slowly moving, general move away from diesels in the automotive world right now in some parts of the world where they have "ruled" because of emissions concerns and that may also be affecting manufacturers' interest in pursuing hybrid with that kind of internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now the diesel is available again in the WK2, confused on what I should do as far as purchase plans. :-/

:slapfight: <-- my brain right now

·
Registered
Diesel Jetta
294 Posts
Now the diesel is available again in the WK2, confused on what I should do as far as purchase plans. :-/

:slapfight: <-- my brain right now
diesel is #1!! hahah

really though what type of driving do you do the most? if stop and go then a hybrid is what you need, long constant speed highway driving... ehh maybe not

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if I DID get a Grand Cherokee, it would take over the roadtrip duties that my Commander does right now. I put less than 6500 miles a year on that, and rarely use it for a commuter (maybe 5 or 6 times a year).

I have a 20 year old Wrangler right now as my daily driver. As much as I like it, it is getting frail.

My thought is to get a Model 3 for commuter duties. I can get a full week of commuting in a single charge and can use the HOV lane which would save me 40 minutes of my day. I would finance it, and meanwhile save up money to pay cash for a new Jeep in about 4 years.

My ONLY real worry is that Jeep screws up the design or range of the next generation Grand Cherokee. I like the current design a lot, and the Velvet red color, and the range that the diesel offers. If they screw that up I will hate myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts