Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

After installing a Volant CAI and the Intune DCX with Hemifever tune, i'm wondering about the benefits of a ported TB. I understand flyinryan here sells them and the pricing seems pretty reasonable. I'm very happy with the Volant and tune so far but heck, why not add on another easy bolt on. I don't plan on adding an exhaust as I don't want to make the jeep any louder right now. If I did add an exhaust it would likely be a Gibson which would probably only get me some added sound anyways.

What can I expect to gain from adding a ported TB? More HP? More sound? Better response?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I can't speak for the Hemi but I've put them in the older Magnums (5.9's) and it was well worth the price of admission. I bought them from Fastman.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I can't speak for the Hemi but I've put them in the older Magnums (5.9's) and it was well worth the price of admission. I bought them from Fastman.
Ah Fastman, that brought back great memories of my 2000 Durango R/T and the owners club. Thanks for that and sorry for the ever so brief hijack :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ah Fastman, that brought back great memories of my 2000 Durango R/T and the owners club. Thanks for that and sorry for the ever so brief hijack :D
I used to frequent that forum also. Nice people on there. I miss the ole D somedays.

·
Registered
Limited 4x4
1,057 Posts
I know many current Ram owners swear by them. With a tune, I think you'd benefit even more. Ask Hemifever.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know many current Ram owners swear by them. With a tune, I think you'd benefit even more. Ask Hemifever.
Good idea to ask Hemifever. I might do so when I send my first set of datalogs on 91 octane. I e-mailed flyinryan and haven't heard back yet...

I also hear that the whole tube is not actually increased in diameter and it is essentially beveled to the butterfly? Is that true and wouldn't it be much more beneficial to have one that is increased in diameter throughout?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
85 mm taper bore ported TB makes a notable improvement in torque from low RPM to high, with improved throttle response, and WOT operation. This is worthwhile. Everyone voicing opinions has no clue what it does or does not do, since they do not have one. There is also an 87 mm straight bore, but low end torque not as good, and WOT A/F will be off, so that one needs to be dyno tuned.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
85 mm taper bore ported TB makes a notable improvement in torque from low RPM to high, with improved throttle response, and WOT operation. This is worthwhile. Everyone voicing opinions has no clue what it does or does not do, since they do not have one. There is also an 87 mm straight bore, but low end torque not as good, and WOT A/F will be off, so that one needs to be dyno tuned.
DMS, thanks for weighing in. Sounds like there is some improvement to be realized. For the price and ease of install sounds like it may be a worthwhile mod that won't raise any eyebrows at the dealership unless they are looking for it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got a response from flyin ryan and he is not porting currently...any other recommendations?

·
Waggie
3,221 Posts
^DD, the TB part number is located on the black plastic cover on the right side of the TB, just lift off your engine cover and look aft of the intake connection to the TB. Those with the stock intake may have to remove it from the TB by loosening the worm drive clamp to see the TB part number due to the secondary box, not sure. IIRC my 2011 TB part number ends in numbers 847, which was the latest generation. I think the 2012's are the same but you should check. You can either send your TB into Fastman for say a 4-5 day turnaround, or he can supply a new stocker for circa $160 plus the porting cost if you don't want to go without your rig.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts