Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first post here.
I have a 2009 Grand Cherokee with 147K miles. I bought it from a dealership last year with a slight oil leak from the oil pan gasket. Ive drove it just fine since then and finally decided to fix the leak, (small leak that I made sure to check the oil often just in case) I recently pulled the plug and had a shop replace the gasket and oil pan. Cost me about 900, mostly due to labor (its 4wd). I drove the vehicle for a week, maybe a 100 miles and was heading on a long trip, the jeep felt like it didnt have any power but I wrote it off to the high winds in N. Colorado. The oil pressure light flickered so I pulled off the road and the engine stopped/died. Pulled the dipstick and no oil, waited an hour for the tow truck and then pulled it again and it was full but grey. Had a 2nd shop it was towed to say it was full of metallic shavings hence the grey color. Its currently being towed an hour south to the original shop for them to look at. Any advice on how to deal with the shop that replaced the pan? As I understand, the pick up tube is connected to the gasket. Its odd that messing it that system would cause an issue like that or is it just a HUGE coincidence?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
What engine?
Was the oil level correct when the 2nd shop checked it?
Did the 2nd shop perform a real oil pressure test?
Did the 2nd shop confirm the oil level was correct?
Is there any knocking sounds coming from the engine?

Ordinarally changing a pan gasket should not be that big of a deal but then again i've never done it on an '09 Grand.
Metal in the oil is not good and will affect the longevity of the engine if not put a final nail in its coffin.

I think you could be onto something that the oil pickup might have something to do with this being it showed no oil when you checked it but how did the 2nd shop drain and look at the oil?
Even more concerning when the oil light came on the engine died which could mean a whole bunch of bad things.

Is it possible the 1st shop didn't add enough oil?
Have the shop check the oil pressure with a real oil pressure gauge and not rely on the instrument panel gauge.
The 1st shop had to drain the oil to replace the gasket, did they notice the metallic shavings in it at that time?

Based on what you've said i don't think it looks good for that engine, hope i'm wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What engine?
Was the oil level correct when the 2nd shop checked it?
Did the 2nd shop perform a real oil pressure test?
Did the 2nd shop confirm the oil level was correct?
Is there any knocking sounds coming from the engine?

Ordinarally changing a pan gasket should not be that big of a deal but then again i've never done it on an '09 Grand.
Metal in the oil is not good and will affect the longevity of the engine if not put a final nail in its coffin.

I think you could be onto something that the oil pickup might have something to do with this being it showed no oil when you checked it but how did the 2nd shop drain and look at the oil?
Even more concerning when the oil light came on the engine died which could mean a whole bunch of bad things.

Is it possible the 1st shop didn't add enough oil?
Have the shop check the oil pressure with a real oil pressure gauge and not rely on the instrument panel gauge.
The 1st shop had to drain the oil to replace the gasket, did they notice the metallic shavings in it at that time?

Based on what you've said i don't think it looks good for that engine, hope i'm wrong.
Engine is the 3.7 V6
Oil check from second shop said also that it was at the full line after sitting for 2 days but was grey and had alot of metallic flakes in it. My assumption is a spun bearing or something.
They didn't do a oil pressure test because of the metallic bits in the oil.
Second shop confirmed it had a full oil level.
I started the jeep up in the parking lot and it didnt sound correct, it had alittle knocking at startup, slight noise at idle and an increase with acceleration. Turned it off quick and said...****...
I check the oil often, before it was fine, black oil. After the oil pan change it was light black but still full. I feel they put the correct amount in it, I supplied 5 quarts in it. A week later I checked the level again and it was full right before the trip. Im curious why the dipstick said empty right after the incident but after an hour showed full
W

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Also owning a 3.6 i was curious about the oil system and how to remove the pan.
I can see why they charged $900 to change the gasket.

Parts of the exhaust and a chassis support have to be removed to allow access to the pan bolts.
But thats not all there's a lower pan and an upper pan.
If the upper pan was leaking thats a whole another PITA with a lot of room for error.

The 3.6 uses a complicated 2 stage oil pump system which incorporates a solenoid to throttle the oil pressure and volume to operate the VVT when needed depending on engine rpm.
Its possible the shop could of damaged the solenoid connector or wiring.

The pickup tube only has one bolt fastening it to the pump with an O ring to prevent air getting into the pump.
If the shop accidentally bent that pickup tube that could of unseated the O ring allowing air to get into the oil system.

Why the dipstick was dry and later showed the correct level is a mystery.
Only thing i can think of is for some reason the oil drained slowly down into the pan maybe becuse of the metal particles?
Do you know if the metal particles were aluminum or steel?

Other than the engine noise Its unclear, does the oil now still have metal particles, does the oil pressure gauge now show normal with no CELs?

If this were my deal i'd be thinking new engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also owning a 3.6 i was curious about the oil system and how to remove the pan.
I can see why they charged $900 to change the gasket.

Parts of the exhaust and a chassis support have to be removed to allow access to the pan bolts.
But thats not all there's a lower pan and an upper pan.
If the upper pan was leaking thats a whole another PITA with a lot of room for error.

The 3.6 uses a complicated 2 stage oil pump system which incorporates a solenoid to throttle the oil pressure and volume to operate the VVT when needed depending on engine rpm.
Its possible the shop could of damaged the solenoid connector or wiring.

The pickup tube only has one bolt fastening it to the pump with an O ring to prevent air getting into the pump.
If the shop accidentally bent that pickup tube that could of unseated the O ring allowing air to get into the oil system.

Why the dipstick was dry and later showed the correct level is a mystery.
Only thing i can think of is for some reason the oil drained slowly down into the pan maybe becuse of the metal particles?
Do you know if the metal particles were aluminum or steel?

Other than the engine noise Its unclear, does the oil now still have metal particles, does the oil pressure gauge now show normal with no CELs?

If this were my deal i'd be thinking new engine.
Thanks for responding,
Correct it is a process to remove it. I am fair mechanic and after getting under the jeep I said no way. I am hoping that when they open it back up its obvious and the problem stems from incorrectly installing something. My thought is along the same idea, if there is grey motor oil after around 100 miles of an oil change, probably gonna need a new engine. I just hope I don't have to fit the bill for that. As for whether the flakes are aluminum or steel, I honestly don't know.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Keep us updated as to what they find when the drop the pan again.
I'd be there for the drop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts