Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the immediate list .

1.replace the plastic radiator with an all aluminum one. The one in there now had leaks. I bought a replacement and while I was waiting for it I dropped in some stop leak I had. Its been working but I have the replacement so I'm going to give it a go.​

2. remove and replace the crankshaft sensor. I'm not entirely sure my engine cutting out issue is related but I have an oem part on order. Hopefully it solves the problem.​
3. I'd like to do the fuel filter but near as I can tell its on the end of the fuel pump which is in the gas tank. Waaaht?​
Well if I'm having to drop the fuel tank - might as well do the fuel pump. Am I right? If I hadn't just filled up the tank gas I might get on it sooner than later. Hopefully the sensor fixed the problem and I can use that gas.​

I have been using this rig for around town but last summer took a few trips to the Oregon outback. I do not want to get stranded out there with no cell service if / when there is a next time - If ya know what I mean. Fortunately my current issue happened close to home. I got lucky this time.

Any and all suggestions for preventative maintenance and or replace parts as good insurance are appreciated.

What's on your list.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Important information missing like the engine, year and mileage.
I assume its a 98 ZJ.

Did you replace the water pump when the radiator was replaced?
If not, a missed opportunity.

I'm pretty sure but not 100% positive the fuel filter is located on the fuel pump.
Look up the fuel filter for you Jeep on an online auto parts store for a clue.

Dropping the fuel tank is a PITA and a potentially dangerous project which i will not attempt myself.
If you do drop the tank and the filter is indeed incorporated on the pump assembly, IMO its a no brainer to replace the pump assembly.
I once had the fuel pump fail 'dead in the water' on my old Dodge Shelby Daytona Turbo Z requiring a call for a tow truck.

Far as the CPS, i strongly recommend using a MOPAR CPS.
Had them fail on both my old '94 and current 2K 4.0 XJ's. Not an uncommon failure with the 4.0 engine.
The CPS can fail intermittently or completely.
In fact some die hard off roaders trekking into desolate areas carry a spare CPS with them.

If you have a V8, don't know if they have the same CPS setup as the 4.0's.

When my 2K XJ hit around 300,000 miles as a PM i replaced the IAC, temp sensor, manifold TPS and MAP sensors all with MOPAR parts along with a new CAT/Flowmaster muffler and O2 sensors. By the way all those factory original MOPAR sensors were still working ok after all that mileage.

Goes without saying if not planning to do already, might want to also replace all ignition parts, pvc, wires, plugs, air filter, fresh oil change, check all vacuum and cooling hoses, clean battery terminals and if the battery is old replace it, etc.

·
Registered
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Moparado.

I had not thought of doing the waterump...good idea.
I'm gearing up to do a bunch of stuff....waiting on parts.

It's a 98 Grand Cherokee. Straight 6. Not sure where I find the other designations like if it's an XJ.

I saw a couple vids on those sensors.

Mopar on the water pump? Are mopar parts good .... Even though made in Mex? I'm guessing so.

Good call on all that other stuff you mentioned.

I was going to have the trans serviced. Do you know what's involved? Is that better left to a shop?

I hear ya on dropping the gas tank. Doesn't look like fun. I'm hoping all the other stuff goes well so I can burn off the fuel. I had just filled it up thinking my issue was bad gas maybe.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Ok thanks for the additional information.
OEM Mopar parts are good in most cases as most have lasted for 370,000 miles to date with my 4.0 XJ.

With 125K miles it could be on the verge of iffy if you have a shop change the tranny fluid if they use the flush method.
Best bet is to drop the tranny pan, replace the filter then replace with new tranny fluid.

Problem is with high mileage trannies the flush method could cause problems with any debri getting into critical things.
Myself with my high mileage tranny, i replaced the tranny fluid by suctioning out through the fill tube most of the fluid i could get with a cheap Harbor Freight suction pump.
Then replaced with new fluid, drove a couple hundred miles and repeated the process a few times more until the fluid came out red.
If you have a 4.0 the tranny the pan should have a drain plug but in my case i did not want to disturb it as it was on there for some 300,000 miles.
In your case you could try removing the drain plug to drain the fluid but if it won't move seized....Stop.

Far as the water pump replacement i'd go with a reputable aftermarket auto store like NAPA or Mopar OEM.
Remember to change the radiator thermostat and also the radiator cap for good insurance while wheeling out in the Oregon boonies.
Cheap aftermarket parts may or may not conform to Mopar's specifications or quality control.

One word of caution in my experience, change all those parts one at a time, drive a while then go onto the next part.
If replaced all at once and there's a problem it could be hell to troubleshoot.

Speaking of Oregon out back, a buddy and me decades ago did some back packing into the 3 Sisters area.
Great time, fishing was great in the small lakes but the mosquitoes were a PITA at times.

·
Registered
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for the additional information.
OEM Mopar parts are good in most cases as most have lasted for 370,000 miles to date with my 4.0 XJ.

With 125K miles it could be on the verge of iffy if you have a shop change the tranny fluid if they use the flush method.
Best bet is to drop the tranny pan, replace the filter then replace with new tranny fluid.

Problem is with high mileage trannies the flush method could cause problems with any debri getting into critical things.
Myself with my high mileage tranny, i replaced the tranny fluid by suctioning out through the fill tube most of the fluid i could get with a cheap Harbor Freight suction pump.
Then replaced with new fluid, drove a couple hundred miles and repeated the process a few times more until the fluid came out red.
If you have a 4.0 the tranny the pan should have a drain plug but in my case i did not want to disturb it as it was on there for some 300,000 miles.
In your case you could try removing the drain plug to drain the fluid but if it won't move seized....Stop.

Far as the water pump replacement i'd go with a reputable aftermarket auto store like NAPA or Mopar OEM.
Remember to change the radiator thermostat and also the radiator cap for good insurance while wheeling out in the Oregon boonies.
Cheap aftermarket parts may or may not conform to Mopar's specifications or quality control.

One word of caution in my experience, change all those parts one at a time, drive a while then go onto the next part.
If replaced all at once and there's a problem it could be hell to troubleshoot.

Speaking of Oregon out back, a buddy and me decades ago did some back packing into the 3 Sisters area.
Great time, fishing was great in the small lakes but the mosquitoes were a PITA at times.
Thanks for all your help. I will double chk all those things. I will be posting up as I proceed.

Eastern Oregon is cool. I lived in Bend back in 79-84. I used to backpack up behind the 3 sisters as well. My latest foray was east of there. John Day, Burns, Umatilla nat'l forest. Looking to make it over to the Alvord dry lake next time. Dispersed camping abounds.
I've lived in Seattle since then. Lots of hiking around here too. I'm more into laid back car / tent camping. Old People:cool:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I hear you about old people and back packing.
The old people saying: "everything still works but hurts more"
But then again not any areas for back packing here in the corn belt.
Hiking in the game preserves during off hunting season or taking a jog around my 20 acre property is about the best it gets around here short of a 300 mile drive.
The large game preserve here does have regulated camp grounds but its only 5 miles from my property so whats the point.

From what i remember the Western Oregon landscape is totally different from the East. its more desert like.
Years later went on a business trip to Portland with my boss, no time for sight seeing let alone any camping.:(

Anyhow good luck with your Jeep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts