Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Jeep Cherokee TH
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into the WK2 as my next car, and thinking about purchasing a used GC instead of leasing.

Any certain model years to stay away from?

I know with my KL, in 2014 there were some problems with the transmissions.

Any know issues/years to avoid?

· Registered
332 Posts
had a 2014 JGC Laredo put 60K on it with only having to replace the drivers side front wheel bearing $400 installed. ZERO problems / issues / annoyances with that one. Was impressed how well it drove - great rig! I traded a MY 13 for a MY 14 for the 8spd tranny - smooth as silk!

The 2014 came with 5 year 100K powertrain warranty (fully transferable) - I believe from 2015+ FCA went to 5/60K powertrain. If i were buying used with higher miles that extra 40K would factor into my DD.

· Registered
535 Posts
My 2013 GC has been flawless for two years now. Has the 5.7l Hemi and a 6 speed transmission. One of the best vehicles I've owned in my 78 years.

Reactions: andrewsiff

· Registered
126 Posts
My 2014 has been perfect, except for pass. side wheel bearing that was covered under max care, which has 60,000 miles. Plan on keeping this one until it dies because of the reassurance of the max care warranty. I do wish I would have gotten the hemi as the V6 is a little anemic. But, I have my Z06 to make up for that.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
My ‘14 has also been trouble free with the only exception being a faulty oil pressure sensor replacement fully covered by MaxCare lifetime warranty.

· Registered
2,264 Posts
My ‘14 has also been trouble free with the only exception being a faulty oil pressure sensor replacement fully covered by MaxCare lifetime warranty.
Same here with almost 44k.
Sensor was covered under 3/36k. I’ll be selling within the year just because I want something different. Otherwise it’s been solid.
Happy with the Pentastar.

· Registered
8 Posts
I recently got my 2015. No issues to mention.
A few minor things that could be important to you between the years..
'14+ will get the 8speed - smoother and better mpg.
'14-15 had the mono-position shifter that had some complaints, (but you just have to pay attention when you shift and they updated the software and enabled an auto-park feature.)
'16 they went back to the traditional shifter and incorporated the auto stop/start feature ( some don't like it..)
And if you plan to buy the maxcare warranty, which alleviates some of the worry, to be eligible, I believe the car has to have <48k miles and <4 years from original purchase.

· Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,216 Posts
I bought my 14 used about 5 months ago with 40K on it. Spoke to the original owner.. He had not had any problems. It's had a couple recalls done on it, the shifter and some kind of module reprogrammed I think. Since I've had it I've had zero problems and am coming up on 5000 miles of ownership. The very ends of the summit wheel opening trim had just a tiny bit of looseness and I glued that loose 1/4" back down. THe OTA radio update went without a hitch. I'm a happy camper at this point.

· Registered
275 Posts
I have a 2011 3.6 with 95k miles and have had no issues yet. You will find issues with all years/makes of cars. You only read about the bad stuff on forums for the most part. You will be happy with any year. I would suggest the maxcare that i have been reading about, seems to be a good insurance policy on big money repairs. Cars are mechanical..they will all need repair at some point.

· Registered
332 Posts
You will find issues with all years/makes of cars. You only read about the bad stuff on forums for the most part. You will be happy with any year. I would suggest the maxcare that i have been reading about, seems to be a good insurance policy on big money repairs. Cars are mechanical..they will all need repair at some point.
^ this

· Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
2,378 Posts
Stay away from any model with the early 3.0 EcoDiesel engines.

· Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
2,378 Posts
Glad for you.......and glad we got rid of our 2014 ED.😉

1 - 19 of 19 Posts