Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having this problem on their 2017 grand cherokee?

I had a 2015 and everything was 100% fine --

Just got a 2017 GC and I CANT fill the tank without it "clicking" and stopping before having to squeeze the gas handle again. I can usually only get to $10-$15 of gas before it gets so frustrating and I just have to give up. The pump just clicks off as if the tank is full, but its not.....

Am I using the wrong angle putting the nozzle into the gas tank or something? Has anyone else experienced this? This happens to me at every gas station I go to since I got the car....

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
'15 GC Overland
274 Posts
One tip you can try is rotating the nozzle upside down, no joke.

I was having the same exact problem with my '15 Overland at Costco. So far i'm 3 for 3 without having to squeeze the lever over & over again since I found out about it here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Most of the time it's the pump and not the vehicle.

·
Registered
cattle
1,262 Posts
Anyone else having this problem on their 2017 grand cherokee?

I had a 2015 and everything was 100% fine --

Just got a 2017 GC and I CANT fill the tank without it "clicking" and stopping before having to squeeze the gas handle again. I can usually only get to $10-$15 of gas before it gets so frustrating and I just have to give up. The pump just clicks off as if the tank is full, but its not.....

Am I using the wrong angle putting the nozzle into the gas tank or something? Has anyone else experienced this? This happens to me at every gas station I go to since I got the car....

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
No such problem on my 14JGC. If it's still under warranty I'd ask the dealer to check the gas tank vents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One tip you can try is rotating the nozzle upside down, no joke.

I was having the same exact problem with my '15 Overland at Costco. So far i'm 3 for 3 without having to squeeze the lever over & over again since I found out about it here.

Thanks for the tip -- Ill give it a try....

Really strange problem -- it never happened on my 15 Grand Cherokee....only my new 2017 one.

·
Premium Member
2018 JGC Limited
548 Posts
I've only had the pump shut-off at one gas station with my '18.

Every other pump I've used has been fine but it certainly was a pain for that one fill-up. Figures it would have been the time I let the tank go down most of the way.

If it is repeatable at any station I would take the service guy for a fill up and see what he says.

·
Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee
26 Posts
I actually found this to be true as well. Try a different gas station. My favorite Shell gave me the exact problem you are having. I found a different location and it worked fine.

·
Registered
2017 WK2 Overland
117 Posts
At my usual local station there are 8 pumps total, and I've identified three of them that'll have this problem. The remaining five are fine. So I'm just selective when I pull in.

Brad.

·
Registered
White Altitude
28 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '14 for a bit. I actually thought it might be the fuel level sender in tank. I tried 2 different stations both shut off with the tank about 3/4 full. So I drove it until it was down by E, went to a different gas station and never had any problems since (about a year ago)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have this exact same problem too almost every time I fuel up. I wonder if it has to do with these special "environmentally friendly" nozzles, which are supposed to prevent excess fumes from escaping. What a pain!

Attachments

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
116 Posts
I had this issue yesterday for the first time on my 2018 Overland. Only filled up 3/4 of the way, at the same gas station I've used for the last 2k miles. Weird.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
For those with fueling issues and newer capless gas tanks try flipping the pump nozzle upside down while you fill your tank. The capless gas tank EVAP spring mechanism needs to be "broken in" that's why the fuel flow keeps stopping. Inserting the nozzle upside down will extend the capless EVAP mechanism springs further allowing fuel to flow freely. As these springs stretch with use that issue should go away. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2017 WK2 Overland
117 Posts
I have this exact same problem too almost every time I fuel up. I wonder if it has to do with these special "environmentally friendly" nozzles, which are supposed to prevent excess fumes from escaping. What a pain!
We don't have those in Canada (at least, not that I've ever seen), so it's not that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Same here. It's always done this and it depends on how sensitive the particular nozzle is. Our local Esso has much more sensitive shut-offs than the Petro-Canada.

Turning the nozzle handle to about 3 o'clock helps with mine. I've never tried it upside down, as Raptor suggests, but I will the next time I run into a stubborn one.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
19 Posts
Yup, I realized this too. Dont worry, i have a 2017 also and it does the same for me. Just gotta find the right gas stations in your town. Happens in every vehicle, so its not a jeep thing.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts