Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
1 Posts
I had this issue with my former 2015 WK2 and now with my 2017 WK2. It does seem to be specific to certain gas pumps, but it seems to happen more and more often. My buddy has the same issue with his Dodge Durango.

The solution has been to turn the gas pump upside down. This has worked without fail for me so far and is a very satisfying solution to a super-annoying problem.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
All gasoline nozzles have a pilot valve that is kept open by a flow of air out ports on the sides of the nozzle. If that air is interrupted by liquid covering the port, and it just takes a drop, that will close the valve and cause the main valve to close to cut off the fuel.

So you just have to have fuel splash on the nozzle to shut it off.

The Fed also upped the emissions regulations to demand gas tanks not allow fumes to escape while your fueling, so there has been several fiasco's trying to meet that requirement and complications. JK Wranglers for several years were puking 5 gallons out of the fuel port all over the fueler, because of this. I could imagine it could also create problems that cut off the fuel.

So does make sense now? If the fuel nozzle keeps shutting off, fuel is somehow getting on the nozzle. It could be splashing or it could be the fuel not draining down the tube fast enough.

What might stop splashing or fuel backing up in the fill tube?
  • Fueling more slowly at a lower pressure?
  • Turning the nozzle so that it points a different direction in the receptacle, thus reducing the splashing or backing up from before?
  • Different fuel pumps or nozzles? Another gas station might have pumps at lower pressure, thus fuel slower, or they might just have different nozzles at different lengths, that work better with your receptacle, thus splash less.
  • Pump Nozzles with vapor control skirts, the skirts don't let you push the nozzle in as far and change the angle, see above.
  • More or less sensitive nozzles? I'm sure there could be differences in the calibration, but think about it, if a nozzle was really that less sensitive, then wouldn't fuel be spraying back out of the receptacle from overfilling? My guess, you're really seeing a difference in pump pressure or nozzle characteristics that prevent splashing or backing up, not a calibration difference in the auto-shutoff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I has this occur just once (2017 Hemi) at a station I use all the time. Tank was 1/2 full and would not fill. I moved the nozzle around to no benefit. Gave up and called the dealer. They had never heard of the problem. Next time out I stopped for gas all was well. Never happened again.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
I has this occur just once (2017 Hemi) at a station I use all the time. Tank was 1/2 full and would not fill. I moved the nozzle around to no benefit. Gave up and called the dealer. They had never heard of the problem. Next time out I stopped for gas all was well. Never happened again.
I've had that with other vehicles on occasion, tried to rotate and reposition the nozzle and it still shut off. And then never experienced it again, even at the exact some pump. I don't think I ever had to give up with only a half full tank, but there has been times I could only get it to pump on the lowest setting, i.e. slowest speed, without shutting off.

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
I have experienced this sporadically my WHOLE LIFE with various cars and gas stations.

The #1 culprit is the underground tank at the station is running low.
Which explains why someone would have it happen once and never again.

That said, My 2018 GC with capless door has been doing it much more often.

There are 3 different ONCUE stations that I frequent, 2 of them do it EVERY SINGLE TIME, the 3rd never does. Switching from 87 to 89 does not solve the problem so the underground tank is probably not the culprit at these two stores.
I will try rotating the nozzle 90 or 180 deg on my next fill up.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Even when I fill my tank slowly, I really slow it down when I see I'm getting near full. You can guess with fairly good accuracy how much it's going to take to fill your tank before you shut off to fill.

My 2015 JGC has a 26 gallon tank. So if I'm half full when I go to fill up, I know it's going take roughly 13 gallons to fill it. When I get to around 11 to 12 gallons on the pump, I slow the fill rate way down.

Then when it kicks off, I round off to the nearest dollar VERY SLOWLY, stopping for a few seconds every couple of tenths of a gallon, to let everything settle down. If it kicks out just over the nearest dollar, then I'll go to the nearest 50 cents.

And as was said, be sure to have the nozzle inserted as far as possible. It also doesn't hurt to start and stop the nozzle several times when you first start the filling process. Just to cycle the pump nozzle on and off. On many gas pumps this helps cut down on back pressure, and allows you to pump much more slowly.

If all of this saves just one major backsplash from happening all over you and your vehicle, it's well worth it. Most everyone I've observed who ends up making a big mess, was in a big hurry, and pumping way too fast. You shouldn't have to screw around getting gas this way. But if you push it, you're asking for trouble. Especially on these capless abortions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It may depends on the pump speed of gas station. Costco usually replace filters more often than other stations. Their gas flow may be too fast and too much to cause the problem. In other situation, probably there is no filter at all at the pump, so the gas flow also goes too fast like the one I met at Arizona desert or other small station.

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
If all of this saves just one major backsplash from happening all over you and your vehicle, it's well worth it. Most everyone I've observed who ends up making a big mess, was in a big hurry, and pumping way too fast. You shouldn't have to screw around getting gas this way. But if you push it, you're asking for trouble. Especially on these capless abortions.

The problem isn't backsplash, it's NO FLOW. It's as if the tank is already full, when it is no where close. It just keeps triggering the shut off with very little flow, I can't even get to the first notch to lock it. So I have to hold the lever the whole time and filling up takes forever. And then other stations are normal.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I can't even get to the first notch to lock it. So I have to hold the lever the whole time and filling up takes forever. And then other stations are normal.
Then it's the stations and their pumps, not your vehicle. If it was you would have the same issues regardless of where you filled up.

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
Then it's the stations and their pumps, not your vehicle. If it was you would have the same issues regardless of where you filled up.

That is what this thread is about, the nozzles at certain pumps and the way it fits in the filler neck of the Grand Cherokee causing it to prematurely shut off. Some say inserting the nozzle upside down will let it flow properly. I have not tried this yet.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
The problem isn't backsplash, it's NO FLOW. It's as if the tank is already full, when it is no where close. It just keeps triggering the shut off with very little flow, I can't even get to the first notch to lock it. So I have to hold the lever the whole time and filling up takes forever. And then other stations are normal.
The nozzle senses interruption of air flow from a port just a little up from where it discharges the fuel, that cuts off the valve and stops the pump. You just have to get a drop of gas on that sensing port and it releases the valve and stops the flow.

So not knowing what you problem actually is, but just sayin', its very possible a dozen different factors could cause gas to splash or back up in the filler neck, and cause the nozzle to shut off. As well, you press the sensing port up against the surface in the filler neck, that would cause it to shut off.

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
The nozzle senses interruption of air flow from a port just a little up from where it discharges the fuel, that cuts off the valve and stops the pump. You just have to get a drop of gas on that sensing port and it releases the valve and stops the flow.

So not knowing what you problem actually is, but just sayin', its very possible a dozen different factors could cause gas to splash or back up in the filler neck, and cause the nozzle to shut off. As well, you press the sensing port up against the surface in the filler neck, that would cause it to shut off.

Thanks, but I already got that from all the previous posts, "Billt" seems to be having the opposite problem as everyone else, he has TOO MUCH FLOW.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
It seems that the capless filler design on the Jeep Grand Cherokee is somewhat temperamental. As are a lot of filler nozzles at various stations. The only solution you have, is to look for a station that doesn't exacerbate the problem, with overly sensitive nozzles that kick out too easily. And thereby allow you to fill up without all of this added aggravation.

I have 2 near my house. An ARCO AM/PM, and a brand new Circle-K. Both have good nozzles, and good prices. So that is where I do all of my fueling. No, that doesn't help when I'm traveling. Then, like everyone else, I have to live with luck of the draw. I suspect these problematic capless gas filler systems will go the same way as these stupid gas nozzles that had those big black rubber, accordion, collapsible, fume vacuum systems, that were such a PITA a few years back. They seem to be disappearing faster than politicians with common sense.

They both looked like good ideas when they drew them on paper. But they didn't pan out so well in the real everyday world. As I said, buying gas for your car should not be an adventure in futility every time you fill up. And you shouldn't have to budget extra time in your schedule to do it without getting p!$$ed off. I can find a lot cheaper ways to do that without spending almost $50K on a SUV.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those with fueling issues and newer capless gas tanks try flipping the pump nozzle upside down while you fill your tank. The capless gas tank EVAP spring mechanism needs to be "broken in" that's why the fuel flow keeps stopping. Inserting the nozzle upside down will extend the capless EVAP mechanism springs further allowing fuel to flow freely. As these springs stretch with use that issue should go away. :thumbsup:
Great info, I was also going to try flipping the nozzle upside down last night. I've owned my '19 JGC Summit for 2 months now and almost every time I am having serious issues filling upon filling from 1/4 of the thank full. What a PITA it has been trying to fill up

·
Registered
Granite Trailhawk
35 Posts
Turning the nozzle 90-180 deg worked for me, 180 is easier to hold. Problem solved.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

·
Registered
1 Posts
I work at a gas station in NJ so I pump everyone's gas. 99% of the grand cherokees that come in that are 2017 and up ALWAYS click off and give me a problem. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the design of the fuel tank or the neck of it. So when I see a grand Cherokee pulling in for gas, I just expect it to click off now. 90% of the time I can flip the nozzle upside down and get it going. But there are a few stubborn ones that I have to hold the nozzle and pretty much go penny by penny which takes forever.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
797 Posts
I have a 2016 RAM and a 2019 GC Trailhawk. They both have the same problem filling the tank. I did try turning the nozzle 180 degrees and it worked. Woo Hoo!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the problem of the pump shutting off on my 2018 Overlander. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I cannot fill up the tank because I cannot tell how much gas is in it, I will call the dealership today and ask. I wonder if a Service paper has been issues about this to the dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Someone on a facebook group was talking about this.. here's an interesting response (not by me!) that i didn't see anything like here:

Is this a wk2? And is it a capless gas tube? Beacuse if so I would use something to open the door then get a screwdriver and open the second door and see if there is alittle rubber piece stuck in there. I Work at a dealership and there is a bulletin to check that. I had a grand cherokee that wouldn't fill up and it was that. Managed to pull peice out of it with long nosed needle nose pliers

41 - 60 of 63 Posts