Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I work at a gas station in NJ so I pump everyone's gas. 99% of the grand cherokees that come in that are 2017 and up ALWAYS click off and give me a problem. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the design of the fuel tank or the neck of it. So when I see a grand Cherokee pulling in for gas, I just expect it to click off now. 90% of the time I can flip the nozzle upside down and get it going. But there are a few stubborn ones that I have to hold the nozzle and pretty much go penny by penny which takes forever.

Just filled up my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo '17... had the same issue with the gas pump shutting off every couple seconds. She hops out of the car and spins the nozzle upside down and it works fine... I look at her like she is crazy and she shrugs and says that's just how it works and it happens at various gas stations. I couldn't believe it ... so my ensuing search brings me here. Sounds like a design flaw on the vehicle. I guess it is good to know it isn't just us.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
BUCKE77 said:
Most of the time it's the pump and not the vehicle.

Agree, I've had this happen a few times with my 2014 Overland. Doesn't occur at every fill up.
It's both.... ....that's why it doesn't happen to one vehicle at every gas station... ...and at one gas station with multiple identical pumps, its not happening to all the vehicles pumping at the same time....

The pump shuts off as soon as the tiniest bit of liquid hits a port on the tip of the nozzle.... ....so if the fuel is splashing as its pumped down the filler tube, it will shut off the pump.... ...the size, shape and bends in the filler tube and the nozzle itself and how they fit together, as well as the pressure set at the pump will all effect if it will splash fuel or not.....

Twisting the nozzle to a new position changes that fit and is why it often works if the pump keeps shutting off.....

61 - 63 of 63 Posts