Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
78 Posts
Had my 19 Trailhawk for a couple of months now, and only had to fill it up once, since we're not driving much due to COVID. Filled up at Costco, so figure the pumps are probably pretty new, and well maintained. Had this issue as well (nozzle kept clicking off). I was able to make it stay on by turning the nozzle upside down, but then I have to hang onto it the whole time, afraid it will fall out and spew gas all over and/or hit the side of the truck when it falls out. About to go on a cross country trip with our GC, sure hope this isn't going to be a normal occurence.

Keith

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had my 19 Trailhawk for a couple of months now, and only had to fill it up once, since we're not driving much due to COVID. Filled up at Costco, so figure the pumps are probably pretty new, and well maintained. Had this issue as well (nozzle kept clicking off). I was able to make it stay on by turning the nozzle upside down, but then I have to hang onto it the whole time, afraid it will fall out and spew gas all over and/or hit the side of the truck when it falls out. About to go on a cross country trip with our GC, sure hope this isn't going to be a normal occurence.

Keith
I ALWAYS have this problem on Costco and other gas stations that are equipped with XL "sleeve" over the nozzle - which I guess is for reducing the fumes. My guess is that this sleeve prevents us from inserting the nozzle deep enough, and the combination of this and the specifics of the filler neck on this model causes this issue.

MaxCare just bought me a new fuel filler neck to address this issue. Haven't filled up to try it yet but will report back when I do. Service said it was a bad valve in the neck or some such thing.
Please post an update after you fill up at the station that caused issues previously. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Good news -- my wife successfully fueled it up yesterday. It's always made her crazy in the past.

That's just one pump, but so far so good.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the update! Was it the same station/pump that you had issues with previously?
Sadly, it was not. Same wife though. But I will continue to keep you posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else having this problem on their 2017 grand cherokee?

I had a 2015 and everything was 100% fine --

Just got a 2017 GC and I CANT fill the tank without it "clicking" and stopping before having to squeeze the gas handle again. I can usually only get to $10-$15 of gas before it gets so frustrating and I just have to give up. The pump just clicks off as if the tank is full, but its not.....

Am I using the wrong angle putting the nozzle into the gas tank or something? Has anyone else experienced this? This happens to me at every gas station I go to since I got the car....

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I’m having the same problem with my 2017 JGC.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Update ... so far (knock wood) no early cutoffs on any pump since the dealer replaced the filler tube.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee
18 Posts
Update ... so far (knock wood) no early cutoffs on any pump since the dealer replaced the filler tube.
Good to hear. Any chance you have the part number of the filler tube handy? I'm having this exact problem with my 2018 Trailhawk and I'll probably take it to the dealer this month to have it looked at. This will be my first MaxCare claim since my basic warranty just expired!

I've been using the "turn the nozzle upside down" trick for the past several months, but I get strange looks almost every time I'm at the gas station. One guy even came up to me last week and asked why I had the nozzle upside down. Had to assure him I wasn't crazy and that it was the only way to get the "capless tank" to fill up.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee
18 Posts
Good to hear. Any chance you have the part number of the filler tube handy? I'm having this exact problem with my 2018 Trailhawk and I'll probably take it to the dealer this month to have it looked at. This will be my first MaxCare claim since my basic warranty just expired!

I've been using the "turn the nozzle upside down" trick for the past several months, but I get strange looks almost every time I'm at the gas station. One guy even came up to me last week and asked why I had the nozzle upside down. Had to assure him I wasn't crazy and that it was the only way to get the "capless tank" to fill up.
Update: Took my vehicle to the dealer last week for this issue and they replaced the filler tube (part 68250911AK) and vapor canister (part 68322223AD). Filled up yesterday at a station that always gave me problems in the past. Seemed to work just fine with no early cutoff. Fingers crossed this is fixed for good.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My 2018 started doing the early shutoff about a month ago when the weather turned really cold, even when I had the handle notch on the lowest flow rate. I will deal with it for now and see if it clears up when the temps get above freezing. I'm beyond the factory 36k mile warranty but I have MaxCare lifetime, so it will cost me a $100 ded. no matter how long I wait.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Update: Took my vehicle to the dealer last week for this issue and they replaced the filler tube (part 68250911AK) and vapor canister (part 68322223AD). Filled up yesterday at a station that always gave me problems in the past. Seemed to work just fine with no early cutoff. Fingers crossed this is fixed for good.
Thank you for taking the time to post part numbers. Question to you, @ryanmcv, and for @BubbaATL - how did you guys convince your dealer to get this addressed? My dealer agreed to investigate and put 5 gallons in on the pump they have onsite, inspected the filler tube for possible blockage, and concluded that there are no issues with the vehicle and that the pumps are the problem. I experience this issue primarily on Costco gas stations and on some others - but other vehicles do not have issues on these same pumps.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee
18 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to post part numbers. Question to you, @ryanmcv, and for @BubbaATL - how did you guys convince your dealer to get this addressed? My dealer agreed to investigate and put 5 gallons in on the pump they have onsite, inspected the filler tube for possible blockage, and concluded that there are no issues with the vehicle and that the pumps are the problem. I experience this issue primarily on Costco gas stations and on some others - but other vehicles do not have issues on these same pumps.
Honestly, I didn't have to convince the dealership at all. I scheduled my appointment online and described the problem I was having via the online form. When I dropped the vehicle off last Thursday morning, the service advisor said to me, "Oh yeah, we see this all the time with Grand Cherokees. We should be able to get it handled pretty quickly." So it sounded like he knew exactly what the problem was.

My service paperwork says the following under the "diagnosis" section: FUEL FILLER NOT VENTING. ALLOWED FUEL INTO CANISTER. REPLACED FUEL FILLER TUBE ASSEMBLY AND VAPOR CANISTER DUE TO FUEL INSIDE. RECHECKED OPERATION AND IS NOW OPERATING NORMALLY.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Honestly, I didn't have to convince the dealership at all. I scheduled my appointment online and described the problem I was having via the online form. When I dropped the vehicle off last Thursday morning, the service advisor said to me, "Oh yeah, we see this all the time with Grand Cherokees. We should be able to get it handled pretty quickly." So it sounded like he knew exactly what the problem was.

My service paperwork says the following under the "diagnosis" section: FUEL FILLER NOT VENTING. ALLOWED FUEL INTO CANISTER. REPLACED FUEL FILLER TUBE ASSEMBLY AND VAPOR CANISTER DUE TO FUEL INSIDE. RECHECKED OPERATION AND IS NOW OPERATING NORMALLY.

Hope that helps! Good luck.
Thank you!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Let us know what pump part they change..... I'm on the older side of life....LOL.... Usually when I've seen this problem on any rig (make, or model) it was a weird hose angle... Mostly old pickups with side tanks.... And a vent issues!!!!!! I have a 2014 JGC and have never had a problem..... But I'm a bit leery of the no gas cap thing????? Can water get past the gas door???? What about a little dirt/road dust??? And those things could clog filters, and maybe vents??? Keep us all on the loop, and let us know what "fixed" the problem..... Good luck brother.....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Let us know what pump part they change..... I'm on the older side of life....LOL.... Usually when I've seen this problem on any rig (make, or model) it was a weird hose angle... Mostly old pickups with side tanks.... And a vent issues!!!!!! I have a 2014 JGC and have never had a problem..... But I'm a bit leery of the no gas cap thing????? Can water get past the gas door???? What about a little dirt/road dust??? And those things could clog filters, and maybe vents??? Keep us all on the loop, and let us know what "fixed" the problem..... Good luck brother.....
For piece of mind, the plastic lid off of a can of Hot Shot Wasp and Hornet Killer fits snugly on top of the cap less fuel filler. Works great! :)

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
My service ticket lists FP number 68250911-AK, description "Tube Fuel 14086002".

81 - 100 of 101 Posts