Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, ProCharged 5.7L Hemi
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Are you living Germany? From what I remember there is no speed limit on most of the autobahn, but most people there are driving the smaller European cars. I remember a few years ago when I was there with my family we drove my uncles Alfa Romero from Italy to Germany doing about 200 kmh and other cars were just flying past us.
I did live in Germany for a while.
The speed limits (or, the lack of speed limits) was one of my favorite experiences.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
29 Posts
Yep Germany. Sections of the autobahn (aka highway) are un-restricted. While there are more tiny cars here than we have in the US, there are still quite a few large SUVs (x7, q8 etc) that will pass me like I'm standing still at 100+. There are quite a few euro spec JGCs here too, though most are the 3.0 diesel.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Fortunately, for us folks here in California...

CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS NON-COMPLIANCE INFO (CARB)
The following system meets California emissions regulations and is available for street use.

2019-2011 Jeep Grant Cherokee (5.7L)
DescriptionHp GainMax BoostPart #EO #
HO Intercooled System with P-1SC-1 supercharger 160+7 psi1DM214-SCID-365-22
2020 HO and all Tuner Kits for this vehicle are NOT legal for street use in California. These products are intended for racing or off road applications only.

NOTE: California approved products for street legal use (complete systems) will have an associated CARB EO# for compliance. Click here for a full list of California and 50 state street legal systems.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
how reliable is this and at how many miles did you do it?
I would say it is reliable.

It is my daily driver, round trip to work is around 70 miles now. It is also the "family car", when ever the wife and I go do anything, this is the vehicle that we choose.

There were 11389 miles when I installed it, I am almost at 19000 mile now.

This is what it looks like right now.

I am waiting on Overkill Performance to get their Dyno repaired. They are going to tune the engine and the transmission for my current application and tell me what kind of power that I am making.

I am guessing 550 bhp; I would really like to see 425-ish at the wheels.

·
Registered
2017 Summit, California Edition Hemi
189 Posts
The one thing I don't like about Pro chargers is the air intake. To have that filter sitting there sucking all that hot air is the dumbest thing. Yeah it has an intercooler but plumbing that to a cold air source would make more power. Looking at your latest picture, I wonder if that could be plumbed into the cowl right above the left strut....... :unsure:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would say it is reliable.

It is my daily driver, round trip to work is around 70 miles now. It is also the "family car", when ever the wife and I go do anything, this is the vehicle that we choose.

There were 11389 miles when I installed it, I am almost at 19000 mile now.

This is what it looks like right now.

View attachment 232226

I am waiting on Overkill Performance to get their Dyno repaired. They are going to tune the engine and the transmission for my current application and tell me what kind of power that I am making.

I am guessing 550 bhp; I would really like to see 425-ish at the wheels.
so how much money did it all cost?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
so how much money did it all cost?
All cost??? I will go with just the supercharger set up that I have.

I bought the "Complete Kit" (which includes a new unlocked PCM and a ProCharger tune) from FastHemis.com (you can check it out here).

The kit starts at $6200.00.

With the options that I chose for this ProCharger kit, would be right at $8500.00 plus $735.00 shipping and handling.
My added options for the ProCharger Kit:
Complete kit = $1000
P-1X upgrade = $200
Black Head Unit = $295
Helical Gears = $100
New Unlocked PCM = $700

Cost me at time of purchase, w/S&H $8826.52

*And then there's more;
Recommended 1-step colder spark plugs (16 of them) NGK-LTR6IX = $150
MSD Coil Packs = $450
Gauges are always recommended with supercharging or turbocharging an engine: AFR, Boost, Fuel Pressure = $500

... it adds up quick. Right at $10,000-ish

It will be another $1000 for a custom tune on the Engine and Transmission (when their dyno is up and running).

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The one thing I don't like about Pro chargers is the air intake. To have that filter sitting there sucking all that hot air is the dumbest thing. Yeah it has an intercooler but plumbing that to a cold air source would make more power. Looking at your latest picture, I wonder if that could be plumbed into the cowl right above the left strut....... :unsure:
I agree with you 100%.

There isn't enough room in the cowl with the windshield wiper assembly in the way.

I like the one pictured on their website much better.

One day I might pick up an SRT hood which would help pull cool air into the engine compartment when driving, and allows the hot air to escape when sitting in traffic.

You are right, sucking hot air right above the exhaust manifold is not the best design.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
How many hours did you put into it? And did you need any helping hands? I’ve been thinking of doing the same with my 2017.
Hours, hours will be at best guess because I wasn’t timing myself. So, if I had to do it again, this is approximately how time I would give myself to do it:

I did not do all of these little projects at one time. Each one (mostly) was done as weekend projects. So-to-speak.

I was able to do all of these projects without assistance EXCEPT, I needed help to bleed the brakes.

*NOTE: All the work that I did on the Jeep was done in the front of my house. On the dirt. I do not have a garage that will fit a vehicle with my tools, bench, and other little ongoing projects.

If the Jeep had to go on jack stands, I placed a board down and placed the jack stands on the board. I do not have a driveway with an improved surface. I worked off hard packed dirt. lol

I say this, so that anybody reading will know that all of these improvements can truly be done as an at home project, by anybody with some mechanical knowledge and the right tools…

**I am anal about playing with my vehicles. I will take a little bit more time than necessary because I want it to be pretty when I am finished, and it has to be absolutely correct. Some of these times will reflect that. Some can do it faster, but it won’t be more right or durable/reliable.

Corsa Sport, Cat Back Exhaust: Less than half a day;

AirLinks (no longer used): Less than 1 hour;

Wheel Spacers (no longer used): Less Than 1 hour;

AlfaOBD to fine tune the ride height: 1 hour;

ProCharger: I would give myself a weekend for the install (AND this is after you receive all of the parts (PCM). You have to copy the calibration from your OEM PCM before you even start you project and send it to (I used HPTuners) to HPTuners so that they can load that calibration (engine and transmission) in the New, Unlocked PCM. Then you install the ProCharger and the new PCM. Then you have to copy the engine calibration from the new unlocked PCM and send it (email) to ProCharger. ProCharger will modify the calibration for use on YOUR supercharged Jeep. So, a weekend to three days.

Spark plugs and MSD Coil Packs: a couple hours;

Radiator: 1 day. The whole front has to come off and I wanted to make sure that I got a good coolant flush.

Gauges: a whole day to make it pretty;

Chief Products, Lower Front Guard, Sump Protection, and Transmission Plate: Half a day;

Chief Products, Rear Cargo Tie Down Bar: Less than 2 hours;

Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar: An hour;

Brembo Brakes (All four corners): Half a day;

Wheels and Tires, Americas Tire: Couple hours.

I think that just about covers it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hours, hours will be at best guess because I wasn’t timing myself. So, if I had to do it again, this is approximately how time I would give myself to do it:

I did not do all of these little projects at one time. Each one (mostly) was done as weekend projects. So-to-speak.

I was able to do all of these projects without assistance EXCEPT, I needed help to bleed the brakes.

*NOTE: All the work that I did on the Jeep was done in the front of my house. On the dirt. I do not have a garage that will fit a vehicle with my tools, bench, and other little ongoing projects.

If the Jeep had to go on jack stands, I placed a board down and placed the jack stands on the board. I do not have a driveway with an improved surface. I worked off hard packed dirt. lol

I say this, so that anybody reading will know that all of these improvements can truly be done as an at home project, by anybody with some mechanical knowledge and the right tools…

**I am anal about playing with my vehicles. I will take a little bit more time than necessary because I want it to be pretty when I am finished, and it has to be absolutely correct. Some of these times will reflect that. Some can do it faster, but it won’t be more right or durable/reliable.

Corsa Sport, Cat Back Exhaust: Less than half a day;

AirLinks (no longer used): Less than 1 hour;

Wheel Spacers (no longer used): Less Than 1 hour;

AlfaOBD to fine tune the ride height: 1 hour;

ProCharger: I would give myself a weekend for the install (AND this is after you receive all of the parts (PCM). You have to copy the calibration from your OEM PCM before you even start you project and send it to (I used HPTuners) to HPTuners so that they can load that calibration (engine and transmission) in the New, Unlocked PCM. Then you install the ProCharger and the new PCM. Then you have to copy the engine calibration from the new unlocked PCM and send it (email) to ProCharger. ProCharger will modify the calibration for use on YOUR supercharged Jeep. So, a weekend to three days.

Spark plugs and MSD Coil Packs: a couple hours;

Radiator: 1 day. The whole front has to come off and I wanted to make sure that I got a good coolant flush.

Gauges: a whole day to make it pretty;

Chief Products, Lower Front Guard, Sump Protection, and Transmission Plate: Half a day;

Chief Products, Rear Cargo Tie Down Bar: Less than 2 hours;

Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar: An hour;

Brembo Brakes (All four corners): Half a day;

Wheels and Tires, Americas Tire: Couple hours.

I think that just about covers it.
I appreciate the detailed response, Ed! Very useful info. Fortunately, I have a garage, hydraulic lift, and access to free labor, so this doesn’t seem too daunting. I’ve done quite a bit to my other/previous vehicles over the years, and now I’m looking to do a similar setup as yours with my Trailhawk.

How many miles are on it now? Any regrets with the ProCharger?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
How many miles are on it now? Any regrets with the ProCharger?
W E L C O M E ! ! !
... to the forum.

I am right at 23000 miles now.

Because I added the exhaust, which made it a little bit more free flowing, I get some occasional surging at rolling idle (rolling idle, coasting without applying any gas), between 4 and 12 miles per hour.

ALSO, because of the exhaust I would get a P0171 and P0174 for a lean code about once a month. I emailed ProCharger with my concern and they were able to send me a new calibration file which corrected the lean codes.

I am waiting on a couple additional parts that I ordered to come in,
Holley Sniper EFI Sheet Metal Fabricated Intake Manifold (I want something that looks a little better);
MOPAR 92mm Throttle Body (Hellcat Throttle Body)(bigger has got to be better??? lol);
MOPAR Hellcat 600cc Fuel Injectors (I was talking with Dusterhoff Tuning (Remote Tuning) and they recommend the MOPAR Injectors over the ones that ProCharger sends with their kit).

Once I get all of the parts together, I will going with Dusterhoff Tuning to optimize my setup and get rid of the rolling idle surge issue that I have. I will also have them tune the transmission for the torque that the supercharged engine will be making.

No regrets ! ! !

*NOTE: If you have a completely stock Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi, and just add the Complete Procharger Kit. You will not have any of the issues that I did with the rolling surge or the lean condition. ProCharger does a real good job of putting a kit together for the stock setup. If you have or plan to add anything to enhance performance of the stock setup, you will require some additional tuning.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Did you have a clearance issue with the head unit itself hitting body panel ?
W E L C O M E...
To the forum.

No problem with the head unit itself.
Initially, I had a little problem with the charge hose coming off of the head unit.
I adjusted the clocking a little bit and that resolved the issue.
There is plenty of clearance. it really tucks in there nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sweet ride. Super nice job, it looks like it came from the factory. I bet it really moves. The control module cover adds a nice touch. I added one to my 5.7 :)

Reactions: IDoMy0wnRacing
21 - 40 of 93 Posts