Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search here and nothing helpful came up.

I watched a video where a guy programmed the overhead console's OEM garage door opener in a late model RAM.
The procedure took only a minute or so. WoW easy!
I tried that procedure and a FAIL...didn't work!

Then looked at my Owner's Manual and holy smokes...the long winded procedure was nothing like the RAM's procedure in the video.
Discouraged by glancing over that involved procedure i decided to just use the remote that came with the garage door opener at least for the time being.

If it matters, my garage door opener was replaced with a new unit a couple years ago.

Anyone here successfully program the OEM garage door opener in their late model WK2?
Any tricks or short cuts?

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
If you haven't already done so, go to the garage door motor manufacturer's website for their instructions. I've had several WK2's that never took more than a couple of minutes to program 2 garage doors.

Reactions: moparado

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks, i'll try that if i can find their website as I lost the door opener's Owner's Manual.

The initial problem i had was step 1, resetting the system.
By simultaneously pressing the I and III buttons there's supposed to be an orange indicator that the system did reset.
Never got that indication and tried it a few times.

Gonna try it again today and hold those buttons longer.
Maybe the sunlight from the pano roof obscured the orange LED?

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Find your manual online with a quick google search. My door's manual had explicit instructions for Homelink programming.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
3,088 Posts
I had a horrendous time trying to get my 2014 programmed. Followed the confusing instructions in the owner's manual over and over. After half a dozen tries it finally seemed to work. By contrast, I just got a 2003 Accord with what appears to be the same built-in homelink system. The Accord owners manual instructions were far clearer and it only took me one try to get that car programmed to the same garage door opener.

I think the Jeep manual has mixed up the instructions for old and new types of systems causing you to include not only an unnecessary step when you have a new system but a step that screws it up. But I was not able to figure out where it was going wrong, I just kept trying different variations one what to do and when. below is Link to the Accord instructions, try them. Go to page 198. There are two systems in the instructions, read both and proceed based on what you have. It says to unplug door opener. That's for safety. You don't need to unplug it if it won't hit anything when moving.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/AAC0303OM/enu/AC0303OM.pdf

Also.. I found the range was very poor, nearly had to be on the driveway for it to receive the signal. I made the antenna on the door opener longer. Measure its length and then add additional wire to make it twice as long. That tripled the distance it would receive from.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I programmed one of the three opener buttons in my 2018 GC to work with my garage door last year. I don't remember the specific steps involved but it was rather easy. I think the majority of it had to do with the garage door opener TEACH or LEARN buttons and all I did on the GC was press the button I wanted to use and held it for a few seconds.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think the majority of it had to do with the garage door opener TEACH or LEARN buttons and all I did on the GC was press the button I wanted to use and held it for a few seconds.

Yep, that's how mine was. Old style opener. Hit the LEARN button on the opener and slide down the ladder, rush to the car, and push and hold the remote button a few seconds. Can't remember if the button LED comes on solid and you hold it until it flashes or if it comes on flashing and you hold it until it turns solid.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a horrendous time trying to get my 2014 programmed.

Followed the confusing instructions in the owner's manual over and over. After half a dozen tries it finally seemed to work. By contrast, I just got a 2003 Accord with what appears to be the same built-in homelink system. The Accord owners manual instructions were far clearer and it only took me one try to get that car programmed to the same garage door opener.

I think the Jeep manual has mixed up the instructions for old and new types of systems causing you to include not only an unnecessary step when you have a new system but a step that screws it up. But I was not able to figure out where it was going wrong, I just kept trying different variations one what to do and when. below is Link to the Accord instructions, try them. Go to page 198. There are two systems in the instructions, read both and proceed based on what you have. It says to unplug door opener. That's for safety. You don't need to unplug it if it won't hit anything when moving.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/AAC0303OM/enu/AC0303OM.pdf

Also.. I found the range was very poor, nearly had to be on the driveway for it to receive the signal. I made the antenna on the door opener longer. Measure its length and then add additional wire to make it twice as long. That tripled the distance it would receive from.
Horrendous! That was also my worst fear after just glancing over that voluminous procedure in the Owner's Manual.
I'll check out that Honda link.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I programmed one of the three opener buttons in my 2018 GC to work with my garage door last year. I don't remember the specific steps involved but it was rather easy. I think the majority of it had to do with the garage door opener TEACH or LEARN buttons and all I did on the GC was press the button I wanted to use and held it for a few seconds.
Thanks for the reply but i just thought of something disturbing.
Namely, i have 4 vehicles each with an original door opener remote on their visors including my WK2 that need to share my 2-car garage at various times.
My GC and usually my XJ share the garage.
Obviously my old XJ has no OEM onboard garage door opener.
Yeah i had to pay extra for the additional remotes.

If i program my GC to open the garage door i'm concerned the other original remote door openers on my other vehicles won't work.
Would that be true?
Does the learn mode actually learn the original remote's opener code and pass that same code onto my GC?

This is getting complicated now.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,281 Posts
Thanks for the reply but i just thought of something disturbing.
Namely, i have 4 vehicles each with an original door opener remote on their visors including my WK2 that need to share my 2-car garage at various times.
My GC and usually my XJ share the garage.
Obviously my old XJ has no OEM onboard garage door opener.
Yeah i had to pay extra for the additional remotes.

If i program my GC to open the garage door i'm concerned the other original remote door openers on my other vehicles won't work.
Would that be true?
Does the learn mode actually learn the original remote's opener code and pass that same code onto my GC?

This is getting complicated now.
Programming the Homelink system in the GC shouldn't cause a loss of other remote data stored in the opener system unless there is a limit to how many openers it can handle and you exceed that limit.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I have several stand alone remotes, and programming the Homelink in my GC didn't affect any of them. As I said in an earlier post, your garage door opener manual is a great source of instructions for programming. They are available online. What brand and model opener do you have?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have several stand alone remotes, and programming the Homelink in my GC didn't affect any of them. As I said in an earlier post, your garage door opener manual is a great source of instructions for programming. They are available online. What brand and model opener do you have?
Took a long time but finally found the Owner's Manual.

Its a LiftMaster, Premium Series Door Opener.
www.liftmaster.com

Thanks all for letting me know their is another source for programming these things other then the GC Owner's Manual.

Its good to know the manufacturer has hopefully clearer instructions on programming Homelink capable vehicles.
And that programming my GC probably won't affect my other remotes.

Gonna look over the manual and their website sometime this week when i get time.

On another note really a LiftMaster rant,
one negative thing i will say about the LiftMaster is that it uses infrared or laser beam sensors as a safety feature to keep the door from closing on someone's head.
Problem is certain times of the year when the sun hits those safety sensors just right, the door refuses to close falsely detecting someone is in the path of the closing door.
Unfortunately my garage door faces the South.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just did our 2015 Limited with brand new Liftmaster opener without issue. Just followed the instructions in the Jeep owner's manual. Not as complicated as it looks. Did the same with an older Craftsman opener.

If you have a learn button on the opener's wall switch plate, don't use it for this. Use the one on the opener.

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee
1,281 Posts
Just did our 2015 Limited with brand new Liftmaster opener without issue. Just followed the instructions in the Jeep owner's manual. Not as complicated as it looks. Did the same with an older Craftsman opener.

If you have a learn button on the opener's wall switch plate, don't use it for this. Use the one on the opener.
Interesting. I use the learn button on the wall switch for my Liftmaster and three cars with Homelink every time I change something. Also, I periodically clear all memory in the openers (two doors) and resync them with the cars because it seems when relatives come, my wife likes to have them sync their openers with our garage door if they will be here for a while. I like to get rid of that stuff.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gonna try this maybe sometime this week and will update.
My worst fear is i'll somehow screw up the remotes that came with the LiftMaster.

What could possibly go wrong!:eek:

Its not my idea of fun opening that heavy garage door of mine manually.
Been there done that more times than i care to remember during power outages.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
When you push the "Learn" button on the power unit, only push it for ONE second. If you push it for several seconds you'll roll the existing codes and be starting from scratch.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,607 Posts
That IS the secret.
UNK how much use the HomeLink stuff is, didn't need it.

First royal pita is getting the unit reset for the FIRST [not additional] doors.
The red indicator isn't that hard to see, but if you have too much light on it, I guess that could be a problem--easy to fix.

Newer openers, put a new battery in the remote and watch for the indicator on the console to change from slow to fast link, and release the remote and console button.
Then [hopefully you have a ladder] you get to find and press the LEARN, TRAIN, or similar button on the opener itself.

Then run like hell to the vehicle and press the desired console button twice and hope the door moves.

Cuss like mad, throw things, lather rinse repeat until you get the timing down where you can jump off the ladder and make it to your vehicle before the LEARN mode on your opener times out. Or cheat and get a helper.

For multiple openers, just do the press garage remote and console button, go put the opener itself in learn, run like heck, etc.

If your garage does NOT have learn/train, you just push the remote button near the console, and the console button and hope the console changes from slow to fast flash.
Release both buttons and push the console button and hope your door moves. Lots simpler than the "rolling open code" type newer more secure openers.

·
Registered
387 Posts
One thing we found was that the system seems to be sensitive to distance. We couldn't get ours to program when it was right up against the garage door but it worked the first time when we moved the Jeep back down the driveway a few feet.

Also, the infrared safety beam is designed to go straight across the door opening. If sunlight is affecting it, you can add a shield to keep light from the side from reaching it. Some soft dark plastic rolled in a cylinder and held with an elastic band will do the job nicely - kinda like the light shields they put on some traffic lights.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One thing we found was that the system seems to be sensitive to distance. We couldn't get ours to program when it was right up against the garage door but it worked the first time when we moved the Jeep back down the driveway a few feet.

Also, the infrared safety beam is designed to go straight across the door opening. If sunlight is affecting it, you can add a shield to keep light from the side from reaching it. Some soft dark plastic rolled in a cylinder and held with an elastic band will do the job nicely - kinda like the light shields they put on some traffic lights.
Thanks, i'll keep that tip in mind.

Back a few years ago when i first encountered the sunlight door refusal to close issue, i contacted LiftMaster for any fixes.
They sent me free of charge a rube goldberg origami sunlight shield.
It didn't work. Waste of shield folding time.

What seems to work at least so far was to jury rig the sensor brackets so the sensors themselves were re-located further back into the garage maybe an inch or two.
Then i re-focused the sensors.
Hadn't noticed the problem since...so far that is.

IMO i would not recommend this door opener for garage doors facing the South.
Might be OK for far Southern States where the Sun doesn't set low in the horizon certain times of the year. Just a guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had problems with linking my Jeeps to the Liftmaster units.

Ultimately, I was not waiting long enough after pressing the learn button on the Loadmaster for it to flash the ready code led. Previously I just assumed that the learn led was burned out.

Once I learned that step (two months later) everything linked easily.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.