Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Push Button Start - 2014 JGC

12K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  AbleRiot 
#1 ·
Can someone please explain the technology behind the push button start. If you start the engine as instructed (foot on the break, push the button with the key fob close by) but then walk a distance away from the vehicle with the key fob. Will the engine automatically shut-off, since the key fob is not near...or will the engine continue to run until it is manually shut off?

#3 ·
Runs till you turn the jeep off, I had my wk2 running went inside set my keys down out habit was I'm a hurry didn't pay attention to the dash went about 3 miles to the gas station turned it off. Needless to say I had to walk home...

#19 ·
2014 MY has a manual cable to rear inside the console storage area that is used to place the transfer case in neutral so the veh can be safely towed. If remember correctly a small cover is removed to access the cable handle.;)

Reactions: jacko15
#5 ·
There is a "Tow Mode" on the 4WD knob-if you have 4WD anyway. I think you remove the faus key from the fob to release the knob.

I have started mine from about 100 yards and the 4th floor of my office. Yes it will run til it dies but it cannot be moved until you have the key within I think 3 feet from the ... sensor(?).

I need a REAL key,,,, anyone know how to get one for FREE-at least one should have been supplied.

#6 · (Edited)
So....it just continues to run. If you forget to manually turn it off, it will just idle and run? Shouldn't there be some safeguard that if the vehicle is running (idle) and the key fob is not within xx yards, the vehicle turns itself off after xx minutes? Why would someone want the vehicle to idle for an extended period without being "near" it? There may be off-road reasons I'm not aware of, but for the normal driver who does not take the vehicle off-road, wouldn't it make sense to have it turn off automatically at some point?

#8 ·
From the manual, it will only run for 15 minutes at a time using the remote start. If it shuts off after the 15 minutes using the remote start, remote start can be used again for 15 minutes but will not work a third time until button in the car is used. If fuel is low is says that remote start will only work for 10 seconds, but I believe I've read from some users that it won't work at all if it's low. Also, if the doors are unlocked when you use the remote start the doors will lock. There's a few more things in the manual about remote start, but I think those are the bigger points.

#9 · (Edited)
Maybe I was not clear in my initial post...I'm not talking about starting the vehicle remotely. I'm wondering, if you start the vehicle normally (by sitting in the drivers seat and having the key fob close-by) and then forget to manually shut off the vehicle (by pressing the push button), I assume that it will continue to run until you actually, manually (by pressing the push button), shut it off? It doesn't matter that you bring the key fob with you when you leave the vehicle...even if the fob is not near the vehicle, since you forgot to shut it off manually, it will just continue to run?

#11 ·
You were clear I was just glancing over the post too quickly. The only thing mentioned in the manual is if the engine is off and left in the ACC or ON position, the car will turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity. Don't see anything with engine running and the key within or out of range.

#14 ·
Just want to add a little what I know about the intelligent key. I work for Nissan and we have the same set up. If you walk away from your jeep or don't have the key it should alert you on the dash by a visual warning and also an audible warning as well. As far as dead key you pop off the push button and use your physical key like the older jeeps. Ex I know the commander is one with the twist style. As far as dead jeep period I know with my 13. You pull the cup holder insert out take the manual key out of your fob and insert it into the shift lock to get out of park.

#16 ·
you pop off the push button and use your physical key
The '14 doesn't work like that. The button doesn't pop off. Instead, it uses a RFID chip in the fob. Read all about it in that wonderful book, the owner's manual.

#17 ·
On the 2014 GC, the start button isn't removed to the start the vehicle with the physical key if the fob dies. Just put the nose of the fob against the start button and start normally. The physical key is just for entry into the vehicle and locking the glove compartment.

#20 ·
OP, it's a safety issue. While my example would never happen, it highlights a problem. Say you're driving 70 down the freeway and someone throws the key out the window, it's too dangerous for the car to turn off since the key is now no longer present.

#21 ·
I just went outside and tried this in my Jeep. When you get back inside the vehicle without the "key" there's a message on the EVIC which says "FOB HAS LEFT THE VEHICLE" and a rather annoying, very repetitive idiot chime to remind you that you've left the key somewhere else. To Jeep's credit, this is the only proximity keyless start vehicle I've owned that's done this. This would theoretically prevent someone from getting all the way to the gas station and then having to walk home after not being able to start the car without the fob. :)

At least the Jeep isn't like my the 2012 Ford Focus I used to own. When using remote start with that car (I realize this isn't a remote start thread), when you got inside you had to shut the car off & then restart it. You couldn't simply press the button and drive away. That was ridiculous. Totally defeated the purpose. Ford's response: All proximity keyless systems are that way. Yeah, whatever Ford.

Tony

#22 ·
I just went outside and tried this in my Jeep. When you get back inside the vehicle without the "key" there's a message on the EVIC which says "FOB HAS LEFT THE VEHICLE" and a rather annoying, very repetitive idiot chime to remind you that you've left the key somewhere else. To Jeep's credit, this is the only proximity keyless start vehicle I've owned that's done this. This would theoretically prevent someone from getting all the way to the gas station and then having to walk home after not being able to start the car without the fob. :)

At least the Jeep isn't like my the 2012 Ford Focus I used to own. When using remote start with that car (I realize this isn't a remote start thread), when you got inside you had to shut the car off & then restart it. You couldn't simply press the button and drive away. That was ridiculous. Totally defeated the purpose. Ford's response: All proximity keyless systems are that way. Yeah, whatever Ford.

Tony
Cough Cough.... I admit it was dumb, I was in ahurry haha.:lol:

#23 ·
The WK2 will tell you that the key has left the vehicle. The rest is up to you.

The WK2 also won't stop running if your neighbor is bonking your wife after you drive away - even if she has one of the fobs. I do not know if a message will come up in the display in this situation, however.

...tom

#27 ·
Maybe if you took the key out of the fob to a locksmith they could reproduce it on a full size key that you could use to open the door and glovebox.

You still can't use it to start the car, cause there ain't no hole to stick it in.

Why do you want a 'regular' key?

---

#31 ·
I used to keep a spare fob wrapped in several layers of aluminum foil, hidden underneath some carpeting or somewhere else not likely found, as well as an actual key taped up under the car. Had my bases covered. The thought of losing my fob while on vacation was quite bothersome.

Tony

#37 ·
Just lock the Jeep any way you can (with other key FOB or by pushing the door lock inside with the door open - then exit the Jeep and shut the door...). The Jeep will unlock the door and honk three times to let you know the FOB is still in the Jeep. You do this four times to let the Jeep know that you are serious about locking your key in the Jeep and then it will let you keep the doors locked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.