Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting a Limited or a Trailhawk. Trailhawk comes standard with the air suspension. The Limited I could get either or.

Other then increasing ground clearance when off-road does it offer any other advantages? In particular I like a nice soft ride on road with minimal jolts from road imperfections, pot holes, speed bumps etc. would the air suspension be better for this then standard suspension?

Or standard suspension upgraded with Bilstein 5100鈥檚 馃

I鈥檝e heard the rumors about reliability issues with the air suspension but if it gives a better cush ride it would be worth the trade off. Seems the air suspension issues were with older models perhaps? Plus I wouldn鈥檛 be hammering off road trails in it regularly.

Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2015 with air ride. I only have 60k miles but it's been trouble free the entire time. It's a closed loop system that is factory filled with nitrogen which leads to be a little more reliable.

I've driven both and the rides are comparable, air ride of course riding slightly better. ORII is basically useless as the suspension gets extremely stiff and does not flex.

Registered
If i had to do it over again, i'd opt for a model with a standard suspension with an off road package if available.
One of the best things about the TrailHawk is its great looking trim which sets it apart from other GC models.

The air suspension while ok when it works is just more things to break and expensive things if out of warranty.
I've got roughly 35K miles on my TrailHawk and so far so good not a single warranty issue.
Only complaint are the crappy brakes.
I seem to remember reading posts here that HD brakes come with the hemi engine option but not 100% sure.

As far as the ride during normal driving in Aero mode, no complaints though don't expect it to ride like a Cadillac.
The higher the height setting the stiffer the ride keeping in mind the computer will lower the vehicle automatically when certain speeds are reached.
The air suspension if its in the maximum height setting say during slow off road wheeling, the ride will be noticeably stiffer.

Registered
Grand Cherokee
Looking into getting a Limited or a Trailhawk. Trailhawk comes standard with the air suspension. The Limited I could get either or.

Other then increasing ground clearance when off-road does it offer any other advantages? In particular I like a nice soft ride on road with minimal jolts from road imperfections, pot holes, speed bumps etc. would the air suspension be better for this then standard suspension?

Or standard suspension upgraded with Bilstein 5100鈥檚 馃

I鈥檝e heard the rumors about reliability issues with the air suspension but if it gives a better cush ride it would be worth the trade off. Seems the air suspension issues were with older models perhaps? Plus I wouldn鈥檛 be hammering off road trails in it regularly.
There is another thread with a long discussion on the QL system and reliability, you might want to look it up.

I don't think it's fair to say the QL system is unreliable, you have lots of folks posting they have not had a single problem with it.... ...but you find lots of posts with people that do have a ton of frustration and high expenses for repairing the system.....

As far as ride, plenty of posts saying they are the same.... ....you can't drive around above 25 mph in the lifted modes of the QL, it will automatically lower itself, if raises the vehicle by increasing the pressure in the air bags, thus increasing spring rate which makes for a rough ride.... ....its really just for off-road to clear obstacles....

Problem with retrofitting the QL suspension, true it can be done yourself for less than what the dealer is charging for many repairs to the QL system, but in 2016 they changed the suspension, more of a refinement, but the big difference is they moved the swaybar mounts to the front struts, that require a steel tab welded to the strut.... ....the aftermarket, at least Bilstien and the cheap direct replacement brands has not responded by offering a 2016 plus strut with the tab welded to it..... ....so if you get a post 2016 and want to retrofit to conventional suspension, you won't find Bilstiens that work in the front.... ....there are some very expensive struts that do have the tab....

The Trailhawk is arguably an appearance package, you can find plenty of other trims with the same equipment.....

Brakes? Crappy? I've had better brakes on vehicles, and to be honest when I purchased my WK2 used, it needed a new Master Cylinder and the brakes never felt right until I completely overhauled the brakes, I had one of my Wheel Calipers seized before I finished overhualing the last of the brakes for an entier overhaul, only the power booster, ABS module and hard lines are original....

So, yea, I'd agree I've driven vehicles with a better pedal feel and initial bite on the brakes, and brakes that are more reliable/durable, but I have no problem stopping my WK2 and hard if I choose..... .....So I wouldn't call them crappy, but would agree it could have better brakes in the sense of pedal feel and reliability/durability.....

Super Moderator
I don't think it's fair to say the QL system is unreliable, you have lots of folks posting they have not had a single problem with it.... ...but you find lots of posts with people that do have a ton of frustration and high expenses for repairing the system.....
I agree with this. QL is more complicated and it certainly shouldn't be surprising that there are more incidents of issues than with the non-air spring suspension. But it offers variable ride height appropriate for the conditions and is indeed very comfortable for many of us.

Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
Only complaint are the crappy brakes.
Agreed, I fortunately never had to slam the brakes but I have to push it so far down on the pedal to get "normal" brake power. It always feels like the pads or rotors need to be changed.

Registered
Agreed, I fortunately never had to slam the brakes but I have to push it so far down on the pedal to get "normal" brake power. It always feels like the pads or rotors need to be changed.
I've had two close with one real close deer vs. vehicle encounters with my V6 GC where i had to slam (panic stop) on the brakes. Missed a big buck by only a few feet
The brakes definitely suck so much so i took it in twice to my dealership, the verdict both times... 'thats typical'.
So much for a crappy brake warranty fix.

Reactions: Natzoo

Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
I've had two close with one real close deer vs. vehicle encounters with my V6 GC where i had to slam (panic stop) on the brakes. Missed a big buck by only a few feet
The brakes definitely suck so much so i took it in twice to my dealership, the verdict both times... 'thats typical'.
So much for a crappy brake warranty fix.
I鈥檓 worried about the active head rest the most, really don鈥檛 want that to fail on me when I鈥檓 driving. Have you changed the pads yet? I鈥檓 at 25k miles and really want to believe changing them will improve it.

Registered
Grand Cherokee
I had a rebuilt Master Cylinder and some inconsistency in the pedal, that really improved when I replaced the calipers and hoses. I got a brand new Master Cylinder, and it took me two attempts to get all the air bled out of the brake lines, but finally it seems very consistent. The only times it feels soft might be very slightly when first driving after it has been sitting for several days, it quickly firms up, which I think might be the pads..... ...still a bit softer pedal feel than my liking, but that may be the booster, cause I get a linear response from the pads slowing as the pedal is pressed....

I have Akebono Performance Pads.... ....more than once I have slowed fast enough to fling all the objects in the vehicle forward, without pressing the pedal down much at all....

Registered
I鈥檓 worried about the active head rest the most, really don鈥檛 want that to fail on me when I鈥檓 driving. Have you changed the pads yet? I鈥檓 at 25k miles and really want to believe changing them will improve it.
No haven't changed anything in the brake system. Gonna just live with crappy brakes until the pads actually need replacing.
The only thing i did was to install one of those aftermarket brake pads on the brake pedal.
Why, the other issue i have with these brakes is the brake pedal throw is so much i've accidently hit the accelerator pedal while braking a few times.
I pointed this out when i took it to the dealership as a potential safety hazard, 'thats normal' is all i got.

Far as the active head rests going off accidentally, thats the last thing on my mind.
In fact never even thought about it until now.
I got a whole bunch of other things to worry about.

Registered
There is another thread with a long discussion on the QL system and reliability, you might want to look it up.

As far as ride, plenty of posts saying they are the same.... ....you can't drive around above 25 mph in the lifted modes of the QL, it will automatically lower itself, if raises the vehicle by increasing the pressure in the air bags, thus increasing spring rate which makes for a rough ride.... ....its really just for off-road to clear obstacles....

Problem with retrofitting the QL suspension, true it can be done yourself for less than what the dealer is charging for many repairs to the QL system, but in 2016 they changed the suspension, more of a refinement, but the big difference is they moved the swaybar mounts to the front struts, that require a steel tab welded to the strut.... ....the aftermarket, at least Bilstien and the cheap direct replacement brands has not responded by offering a 2016 plus strut with the tab welded to it..... ....so if you get a post 2016 and want to retrofit to conventional suspension, you won't find Bilstiens that work in the front.... ....there are some very expensive struts that do have the tab....
I鈥檝e had three WK2s. One lifted Limited V6, one Trailhawk ecodiesel and I currently drive a Limited X Hemi. I鈥檓 not a fan of the quadralift. It鈥檚 a strange combination of to floaty at highway speeds, yet it doesn鈥檛 absorb rough surfaces smoothly either. I recently replaced the stock shocks on my Limited X with Dobinsons IMS. I was initially looking at Bilsteins, but like you said they haven鈥檛 updated the strut to receive the sway bar connection. I can鈥檛 compare to Bilsteins, but I鈥檓 really happy with the Dobinsons. Much better rebound damping than stock or air ride, so it handles a twisty rough road really nicely; both firmer AND smoother. It keeps the handling nice and flat, but still steamrolls the potholes.

Registered
Grand Cherokee
I鈥檝e had three WK2s. One lifted Limited V6, one Trailhawk ecodiesel and I currently drive a Limited X Hemi. I鈥檓 not a fan of the quadralift. It鈥檚 a strange combination of to floaty at highway speeds, yet it doesn鈥檛 absorb rough surfaces smoothly either. I recently replaced the stock shocks on my Limited X with Dobinsons IMS. I was initially looking at Bilsteins, but like you said they haven鈥檛 updated the strut to receive the sway bar connection. I can鈥檛 compare to Bilsteins, but I鈥檓 really happy with the Dobinsons. Much better rebound damping than stock or air ride, so it handles a twisty rough road really nicely; both firmer AND smoother. It keeps the handling nice and flat, but still steamrolls the potholes.
That's what I'd say about the Bilstiens also, good handling, firm ride by takes potholes and bumps real nice..... ...I have 5100's, but I've read the 5100 and 4600 are the same internally, 4600 are identical dimensions to be a direct replacement for OEM and 5100 has dimension changes for suspension mods.... ....for SUV and Truck, to lift the suspension, for Sports cars and sporty sedans/coupes for lowering.....

The only weird thing I noticed about the Bilstiens, increase road noise from my tires on certain surfaces...... ....they are Cooper Discoverer AT3 with a very blocky tread, so that is not surprising.... ....but my worn OEM shocks didn't have as much road noise on the tires, all I can conclude is that the firmer shocks creates more road noise from the tires, than worn out shocks, likely keeping a more consistent pressure on the tires and road surface...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts