Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
211 Posts
This cold weather is wreaking havoc on my air suspension. When it is single digits out, I can’t raise or lower it manually, it says the suspension level is not permitted. It will raise and lower itself automatically from park to normal and then back to park when parked but I cannot do it manually. Tonight it was 12f out and I drove it and it was fine, I parked for 5 minutes, never even shut the car off and drove away and it was stuck in park mode. When I hit the up button it told me the system was cooling off and to please wait.

I’m just waiting for the service air suspension immediately message to pop up any day now. I only have 10k on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I got my 2018 JGC back. the air ride issue was: Compressor Froze and shorted out a relay and blew a 40 amp Fuse. Thank god for warranty. I was told the repair cost was 2000.00 WHEW!! Failed on a friday and repaired and returned on tuesday. they had to order parts from Atlanta. where distribution comes from for our Area. Thank you Dealership for repair

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
211 Posts
This cold weather is wreaking havoc on my air suspension. When it is single digits out, I can’t raise or lower it manually, it says the suspension level is not permitted. It will raise and lower itself automatically from park to normal and then back to park when parked but I cannot do it manually. Tonight it was 12f out and I drove it and it was fine, I parked for 5 minutes, never even shut the car off and drove away and it was stuck in park mode. When I hit the up button it told me the system was cooling off and to please wait.

I’m just waiting for the service air suspension immediately message to pop up any day now. I only have 10k on it.

Well I shot myself in the foot here, got in it this morning around 2 degrees Fahrenheit and went to raise it out of park mode and the rear came up while shaking and vibrating like crazy and then stopped and I got the service suspension message. Dropped it off at the dealership.

·
Registered
Overland 4x4
1 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and I just crossed 50,000 miles. I have a error message that pops up that says, "service air suspension immediately", unfortunately it does seem like something is wrong with it as the controls for the air suspension no longer are operating and my ride seems rougher. Now I took it to the local Jeep dealership and they instructed me to pay $2800 to replace the compressor, I said I was not doing that so they replaced a fuse and it seemed to be the fix temporarily but the error message is now back on. Have you heard of this happening before and how should I proceed? I would like to keep this vehicle for a long time.

Thank you.

I have a 2014 Overland. Just over 62,000 miles or so. Yesterday on my way home driving on the interstate in South Louisiana (noting location as the it was at least 70 degrees yesterday, so cold weather was not part of the problem here). I get the "message." I didn't think anything of it at first and thinking, I would go have it checked out Saturday morning, this was Thursday afternoon). Well, a few minutes later, I noticed it was a real problem. Every single little bump, the the Jeep would bounce up and down and felt like I was on a trampoline or something. Quite scary. I needed gas anyway, so I exited. While filling up, I made a call to the nearest Jeep service Dept. They had no room for me that day, so, decision to drive another hour and a half to my dealership or call AAA and tow it. Oh, it also made it more scary, because when I was filling up, I looked at the rear tires and the tops of the tires appeared to look a little angled inward. I took the chance. Found someone pulling a trailer going 15 mph under the speed limit and just followed him all the way back to Baton Rouge. Still bumpy, but I felt the lower speed would prevent my jeep from bottoming out.

Anyway, make it to the dealer ship, tires in the rear look a little scarier, I am not sure how much longer I could have driven it. They take it in the back and return an hour and a half later. One of my Air suspension "bags" in the rear blew out. The pump, as a result, burned itself out. The "bags" have to be replaced in pairs and the pump being a part that costs about $2k, brought the total estimate to over $4,300. I had to do it. Of course, I just paid off the Jeep last year and I was excited to not have a monthly note for once in years, as I used to be one who leased my cars. It was nice, so I haven't had a car with more than 50,000 miles since my very first car. So, I told her to do it. Should be ready Tuesday. Positive from all of this, since there were a few little outstanding recalls that needed to be addressed, but nothing seriously that needed attention, they were able to give me a loaner vehicle while they repaired my Jeep, at no cost to me. :) I was more upset with the prospect of having to rent a car for however long, so that made it better for me.

Anyway, I was kicking myself all the way home and all night last night because a week and a half ago, the dealership called me and left a message. They were in need of my year make and model for their used inventory and they were prepared to give me more than fair market value for it. Normally, I would have entertained the idea, but, I wanted to go at least 2 years with no car note. I was putting the amount of my old car note in a separate account, so in a few years, I would be able to pay cash for a newer used car. Well, that just got wiped out. I guess it is a good thing for anyone who would have purchased my jeep used, as they would have had this problem within a month of buying it.

So, this seems to be starting to become an issue. From what I have been reading, seems a lot have a similar issue in the north where it is much colder, and now a few getting over 50k miles are having to dish out big money to fix the eventual problem that seems destined to occur. Question, if over the next couple of years, more models from 2012-2015 era begin to have complete failures with this, as I have and as a few others I have read about, what would it take for Jeep to recall, or would they? My first Overland was a 2011 year. after a couple of years, I was having issues with the Jeep not starting, even with new batteries in the key fob. The engine would just go and go, but it wouldn't turn. I would have to sit there for a while and try again every few minutes, and then it would start. Brought it in, and the dealer tells me it will take a couple of weeks to get the part in as they have been having this issues with the 2011 models. So, I drove my jeep to the nearest parking spot and walked into the showroom and bought the one I have currently. (I don't want a model that is known to have "issues.")

My Wrangler before that, the car batteries seemed to die quite often when I would use remote start feature. My Overland key fobs seem to drain their batteries very quickly after using remote start a few times. Point being, I haven't heard of any of these issues from anyone else driving non-jeep autos. I am seriously considering taking this bad boy, as soon as it comes out of the shop and before it has time to mess up again, to another dealer to trade it in for something else. I don't like spending $4,000 on a repair on a vehicle that is only 5 years old.

Oh, not to mention, last year, I had to pay to have the SHIFTER "serviced". Yes, the shifter needed servicing. But, in fact, it needed replacing. I almost forgot about that $1,200 gem from last year. I think I just talked myself into getting another brand car in the very near future.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
And every one of those issues could have been covered with 100.00 deductible with Maxcare. When you buy vehicles this complex, it never pays to drive them without a warranty. Anything that goes wrong is pricey and usually requires the dealer to fix it.... Sorry that happened to you!

·
Registered
2012 Jeep GC Limited
689 Posts
I have a 2014 Overland. Just over 62,000 miles or so. Yesterday on my way home driving on the interstate in South Louisiana (noting location as the it was at least 70 degrees yesterday, so cold weather was not part of the problem here). I get the "message." I didn't think anything of it at first and thinking, I would go have it checked out Saturday morning, this was Thursday afternoon). Well, a few minutes later, I noticed it was a real problem. Every single little bump, the the Jeep would bounce up and down and felt like I was on a trampoline or something. Quite scary. I needed gas anyway, so I exited. While filling up, I made a call to the nearest Jeep service Dept. They had no room for me that day, so, decision to drive another hour and a half to my dealership or call AAA and tow it. Oh, it also made it more scary, because when I was filling up, I looked at the rear tires and the tops of the tires appeared to look a little angled inward. I took the chance. Found someone pulling a trailer going 15 mph under the speed limit and just followed him all the way back to Baton Rouge. Still bumpy, but I felt the lower speed would prevent my jeep from bottoming out.

Anyway, make it to the dealer ship, tires in the rear look a little scarier, I am not sure how much longer I could have driven it. They take it in the back and return an hour and a half later. One of my Air suspension "bags" in the rear blew out. The pump, as a result, burned itself out. The "bags" have to be replaced in pairs and the pump being a part that costs about $2k, brought the total estimate to over $4,300. I had to do it. Of course, I just paid off the Jeep last year and I was excited to not have a monthly note for once in years, as I used to be one who leased my cars. It was nice, so I haven't had a car with more than 50,000 miles since my very first car. So, I told her to do it. Should be ready Tuesday. Positive from all of this, since there were a few little outstanding recalls that needed to be addressed, but nothing seriously that needed attention, they were able to give me a loaner vehicle while they repaired my Jeep, at no cost to me. :) I was more upset with the prospect of having to rent a car for however long, so that made it better for me.

Anyway, I was kicking myself all the way home and all night last night because a week and a half ago, the dealership called me and left a message. They were in need of my year make and model for their used inventory and they were prepared to give me more than fair market value for it. Normally, I would have entertained the idea, but, I wanted to go at least 2 years with no car note. I was putting the amount of my old car note in a separate account, so in a few years, I would be able to pay cash for a newer used car. Well, that just got wiped out. I guess it is a good thing for anyone who would have purchased my jeep used, as they would have had this problem within a month of buying it.

So, this seems to be starting to become an issue. From what I have been reading, seems a lot have a similar issue in the north where it is much colder, and now a few getting over 50k miles are having to dish out big money to fix the eventual problem that seems destined to occur. Question, if over the next couple of years, more models from 2012-2015 era begin to have complete failures with this, as I have and as a few others I have read about, what would it take for Jeep to recall, or would they? My first Overland was a 2011 year. after a couple of years, I was having issues with the Jeep not starting, even with new batteries in the key fob. The engine would just go and go, but it wouldn't turn. I would have to sit there for a while and try again every few minutes, and then it would start. Brought it in, and the dealer tells me it will take a couple of weeks to get the part in as they have been having this issues with the 2011 models. So, I drove my jeep to the nearest parking spot and walked into the showroom and bought the one I have currently. (I don't want a model that is known to have "issues.")

My Wrangler before that, the car batteries seemed to die quite often when I would use remote start feature. My Overland key fobs seem to drain their batteries very quickly after using remote start a few times. Point being, I haven't heard of any of these issues from anyone else driving non-jeep autos. I am seriously considering taking this bad boy, as soon as it comes out of the shop and before it has time to mess up again, to another dealer to trade it in for something else. I don't like spending $4,000 on a repair on a vehicle that is only 5 years old.

Oh, not to mention, last year, I had to pay to have the SHIFTER "serviced". Yes, the shifter needed servicing. But, in fact, it needed replacing. I almost forgot about that $1,200 gem from last year. I think I just talked myself into getting another brand car in the very near future.
Sorry for the troubles you are going with your Jeep. This is exactly the reason i didn't want air suspension on my 2012 WK2. Besides, 2011 is a first year of the model changes and so is 2014. II never buy first model year of any vehicles. Also, I did get the maxcare 85k mile warranty. Best decision I made. It covered motor mounts (at 83k) and NAV head unit (at 84k miles). I realized that the new cars are so computerized that if any of them break, it will be a pain to fix myself.

Good luck on your future decision!

Cheers!

·
Registered
Jeep GC EcoD
7 Posts
Having the same issue with my 2014 Summit. I have already replaced the rear air shocks but am now having an intermittent warning of "service air suspension immediately" it seems to reset itself every time I turn the vehicle on and off. This message appeared a few months ago and now has appeared 2 days in a row. Any suggestions on what to replace next? Jeep has 84k miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a 2014 JGC Summit for my wife a couple days ago along with an extended warranty. Next day we get a message 'Service Air Suspension Immediately'. Doing some research I found quite a few people with similar issues. Replacing the air compressor was talked about as well as an issue with a kinked airline. I did a quick search for the air lines but didn’t find anything on where the kinked lines are normally located. We have noticed the compressor kicking on every so often. I’m guessing there is a leak somewhere but I haven’t heard any leaking. Perhaps its too small of a leak to make any sound. We have an appointment to drop it off at the Jeep dealer to have it checked out, but figured I’d dig into the information as much as possible.

The issues with the air line kinking…where is this normally found?
Any other suggestions besides having the compressor replaced? I can hear the compressor kicking on but not sure if it’s working properly.
I have same problem in my 2014 summit v8

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having the same issue with my 2014 Summit. I have already replaced the rear air shocks but am now having an intermittent warning of "service air suspension immediately" it seems to reset itself every time I turn the vehicle on and off. This message appeared a few months ago and now has appeared 2 days in a row. Any suggestions on what to replace next? Jeep has 84k miles.
Dear Did you got solution? I have same problem

·
Registered
Jeep overland
1 Posts
Service air suspension immediately, showed up on my dashboard! I can still raise and lower it. Hopefully the dealership can see what going on and charge a fair price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a 2014 JGC Summit for my wife a couple days ago along with an extended warranty. Next day we get a message 'Service Air Suspension Immediately'. Doing some research I found quite a few people with similar issues. Replacing the air compressor was talked about as well as an issue with a kinked airline. I did a quick search for the air lines but didn’t find anything on where the kinked lines are normally located. We have noticed the compressor kicking on every so often. I’m guessing there is a leak somewhere but I haven’t heard any leaking. Perhaps its too small of a leak to make any sound. We have an appointment to drop it off at the Jeep dealer to have it checked out, but figured I’d dig into the information as much as possible.

The issues with the air line kinking…where is this normally found?
Any other suggestions besides having the compressor replaced? I can hear the compressor kicking on but not sure if it’s working properly.

JEEP QUADRA LIFT OWNERS. one and only best advice I have gotten is the quadrlift is FLAWED. Do not spend money replacing it or anything until you try what all the long haul truckers do to their air Brake system. Add AirBrake Antifreeze to the Air tank for Air suspension.

The air tank is located underneath the spare.

The compressor uses outside air when it takes in air. If the air outside is cold and the air inside is warmer it builds moisture in the air line which in return freezes in sun zero temps.

In order to keep the air from freezing - use the airbrake Antifreeze

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
EEP QUADRA LIFT OWNERS. one and only best advice I have gotten is the quadrlift is FLAWED. Do not spend money replacing it or anything until you try what all the long haul truckers do to their air Brake system. Add AirBrake Antifreeze to the Air tank for Air suspension.

The air tank is located underneath the spare.

The compressor uses outside air when it takes in air. If the air outside is cold and the air inside is warmer it builds moisture in the air line which in return freezes in sun zero temps.
This is inaccurate advice both relative to "adding" something and how the system works. There is no outside air used by the JGC QL system. It's a closed loop Nitrogen system that requires both special attachment gear and Dealer software to re-charge. What you suggest could very well destroy the system

Reactions: Stbentoak

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yes, you are sadly mistaken.. these vehicles are nothing like Semi trucks....(n) Bad advice !

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is inaccurate advice both relative to "adding" something and how the system works. There is no outside air used by the JGC QL system. It's a closed loop Nitrogen system that requires both special attachment gear and Dealer software to re-charge. What you suggest could very well destroy the system
Jim in PA thanks for your 'counter point' on this something just did not sound right. Unfortunately I also just started getting a chime that says service air system immediately, and i sure as hell dont have the money 2017 JGC Trailhawk. 37K miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my 2015 at the dealership 5 times now for that same issue, they still have not resolved it. It's currently been at the dealership for 11 days while they still try and repair it again. They seem perplexed as to the cause as I have had the compressor and module replaced multiple times, checked for leaks, refilled the system, etc. They keep talking to the Chrysler engineers to come up with a resolution, but at this point I am not hopeful. Based on discussions with the dealer they have already sunken in $10k in parts and labor, which seems silly to me. I guess my next step is to contact Chrysler as I seem to be getting no where with the dealer as they give me no time frame for having it fixed or giving me other options or compensation for all this, and have been without my Jeep for awhile and wasted alot of my time. I was able to get a rental under my extended warranty, but still a major inconvenience and frustrating process.
I've had my 2017 Summit at the dealer shi[ THREE TIMES now with issues on the air suspension. First visit, the compressor was replaced. Second visit a module was replaced. Third trip and now they've had it three days and can't find the problem. The car is sitting lopsided, and wont go into Aero Mode when the car is in Park. The dealership have told me they are scratching their heads, and have finally called Chrysler and are 'waiting for answers'. Meanwhile my car sits in a dealership gaining more scratches every day. If anyone has any answers, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi jeepguy3,

Sorry to hear about this! Have you contacted Jeep Customer Care to have a case opened for further assistance? If not please send us a PM with your VIN so I can start this process for you.

Andrea
Jeep Social Care Specialist
Hi Andrea!!

Thank you for being out here in this forum. Please continue to reach out to some our frustrated JEEP brothers.

RAY Schuster 17 hemi hawk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 2017 Summit at the dealer shi[ THREE TIMES now with issues on the air suspension. First visit, the compressor was replaced. Second visit a module was replaced. Third trip and now they've had it three days and can't find the problem. The car is sitting lopsided, and wont go into Aero Mode when the car is in Park. The dealership have told me they are scratching their heads, and have finally called Chrysler and are 'waiting for answers'. Meanwhile my car sits in a dealership gaining more scratches every day. If anyone has any answers, I would appreciate it.
We replaced a fuse and that did the trick.

·
Registered
70 Posts
a week and a half ago, the dealership called me and left a message. They were in need of my year make and model for their used inventory and they were prepared to give me more than fair market value for it.
It does not work this way. They wanted to sell you a new car. They do not give more than fair market value, it is a ploy for you to come to the dealership. If they need used cars to sell they know where auctions of used cars for dealers are.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It does not work this way. They wanted to sell you a new car. They do not give more than fair market value, it is a ploy for you to come to the dealership. If they need used cars to sell they know where auctions of used cars for dealers are.

While I agree this is a ploy, they cannot "Just go to the Auction" any more. I have friends who own car lots and they are all hurting for used vehicles right now. The auctions today are all virtual with the virus hanging around. The other problem is they cannot find transporters to bring them from the auction site as they are booked up weeks in advance with other trips. Many dealers in the area ARE actually paying more for used vehicles now and have actively been advertising to buy them outright, which we have never seen before in this area....

61 - 79 of 79 Posts