Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lease is going to be up on my 2017 Trailhawk in June. I estimate I will be about 10-15k over on mikes which equates to about $2500-$3750 (0.25)

This is my first lease and I am curious as to if the dealers usually hold you to this. I have no problem paying it but I would obviously like not to have to as well.

My immediate thoughts are..
1. They will require it and just pay the fee/overage

2. They either fully or partially wave it but get you back on your new lease or purchase.

3. Just buy it outright and trade it in. I realize though that at $2500 it’s probably not worth going this route as j would lose money. Maybe if I owed 5k or higher this route would be worth it?

Also, the dealerships state inspections for vehicles are due in February so this is due next month. Should I try to get into a new vehicle next month when I go in to have inspection done, or wait until June when the lease expires? I remember reading somewhere years ago that they try to get you into a new lease months before your existing one is up. Not sure if that’s true or not though.

·
Super Moderator
8,796 Posts
The dealer has no say in this...they are not the leasing company, so unless you do a buyout, you'll be on the hook for the mileage. The overage on miles affects the "actual" value compared to the end of lease calculated residual value and that's what you're paying for. BTW, "Buyout" includes trading it in on a new vehicle for value less overage because someone has to pay for those miles to terminate the lease, but you may have a little negotiation room there if the dealer wants your business and you're buying something that makes it worth their while to help out a little.

Reactions: Shockwave

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you like the car renew the lease and they will incorporate the additional costs in the new lease. The monthly payments should still be way less than a new Car.
If money is not an issue forget that and get a new one

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do plan on staying with Jeep for one more round of leases after this one. I’ll see what they say when I go in for state inspection next month. Since I am already over my mileage I’ll be piling on miles for an additional 6 months. I wonder if it’s worthwhile to break the lease in February and just get into a new one then.

·
Super Moderator
8,796 Posts
If you like the car renew the lease and they will incorporate the additional costs in the new lease. The monthly payments should still be way less than a new Car.
But you'd also have a vehicle that's out of warranty with stiff requirements for condition when it gets turned in at the end of the new lease. No way would I ever extend a lease like that beyond a few months to wait for an ordered vehicle or something. The best cost metrics for leasing, if one wants/needs to lease, are on new vehicles in upper trim levels that hold their value for the term of the lease which is always within or no more than a few months longer than the OEM warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
All depends on the payoff vs. trade value. Most often, and yes, check right now if you want another (never wait to lease end, always start at 6 months before to look...), see what's possible. If payoff is low enough vs. trade value, any dealer can simply buy it out and keep it for stock, which is most common. All depends on the deal and scenario.

Don't get lost in the semantics of paying a mileage bill, but start now (especially if inspection is due) to work a deal on a new one, with having a dealer close out/pay off/etc. your 2017 however they wish, if the deal works. Leases are flexible and great for this, depending on the vehicle.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All depends on the payoff vs. trade value. Most often, and yes, check right now if you want another (never wait to lease end, always start at 6 months before to look...), see what's possible. If payoff is low enough vs. trade value, any dealer can simply buy it out and keep it for stock, which is most common. All depends on the deal and scenario.

Don't get lost in the semantics of paying a mileage bill, but start now (especially if inspection is due) to work a deal on a new one, with having a dealer close out/pay off/etc. your 2017 however they wish, if the deal works. Leases are flexible and great for this, depending on the vehicle.
thanks, I’ll dig out the paper work tomorrow and see what the residual is.

Ill tell ya though...I drove through the dealer ship today and there was a gladiator sport there with like 30”wheels (guessing) and that epoxy grey type of color. If that thing had full leather and the 10” unconnect I would have bought it right there lol. I don’t even really like the gladiators but this one stood out like sore thumb from all the others, in a good way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I just dealt with a very similar situation as you. Had a 2015 Jeep grand Cherokee altitude leased it for four years with all intentions of purchasing out right after the lease. My vehicle was 15,000 over allowed mileage. My lease was up November 2019 prior to my lease coming due went to several dealerships to see what they were able to offer and question regarding being over the mileage. They all informed me there was nothing to do, no forgiveness and I either purchase it out right or walk away from the lease and pay the penalty fees. I opted to go to the dealership I originally leased it from and they actually traded my vehicle in giving me more value than the actual buyout was towards a new lease and I wasn’t held responsible for the overage of mileage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I just dealt with a very similar situation as you. Had a 2015 Jeep grand Cherokee altitude leased it for four years with all intentions of purchasing out right after the lease. My vehicle was 15,000 over allowed mileage. My lease was up November 2019 prior to my lease coming due went to several dealerships to see what they were able to offer and question regarding being over the mileage. They all informed me there was nothing to do, no forgiveness and I either purchase it out right or walk away from the lease and pay the penalty fees. I opted to go to the dealership I originally leased it from and they actually traded my vehicle in giving me more value than the actual buyout was towards a new lease and I wasn’t held responsible for the overage of mileage.
Exactly what to do...almost every time. This is the typical lease end, if you have a vehicle with decent resale, etc. There's always a way, and a creative trade in or payoff of old payments/mileage, works. Ask a knowledgeable dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts