Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2011 model tow package just added a hitch and load leveling suspension, no extra cooling or larger alternator and max towing was 5000lb with the V6. No comment in manual if you need factory tow package to achieve 5000lb

In 2014 V6 model got extra cooling and larger alternator and 6200lb towing capacity but no comment in manual if you need the tow package or not to achieve 6200lb.

2015 same as 2014..

Now jump to 2016-up... Tow package gets the same as 2014-15 but now you need the extra cooling to pull 6200lb if you have STD cooling you can only tow 3500lb...

So how is it in 2011 you can pull 5000lb with 5 speed tranny and no extra cooling but in 2019 you can only pull 3500lb but with an 8speed and STD cooling...

Why has the WK2 regressed in towing capabilities. Why from 2011-2015 you didnt need a tow package to tow 5000lb-6200lb but 2016-up you need.

Thank you

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,195 Posts
Technically yes, but people have been towing more for years without leveling suspension. I think the key in the manual is to use a weight distributing hitch over 3500 pounds. I would also advise against using your mini spare while towing if the need be as it's not rated for the weight. As always, do all at your own risk.

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
There are many factors around towing capacity. The change for MY14+ for the V6 was because of the more capable 8 speed transmission among other things.

"In general" you cannot achieve the same towing capacities as vehicles with Factory Towing by adding the OEM hitch receiver relative to manufacturer specification. That applies to every model year, regardless of the meandering number in the plethora of manual versions. The contents of the Factory Towing option also have varied by model year, engine, trim level, etc., so that's also a moving target for anyone trying to manually add things on in hope of achieving higher towing capacities without Factory Tow.

My advice? Don't push the limits too far. The vehicle may physically handle it, but if you have an incident that can be show to be because you are out of compliance with manufacturer specifications around towing capacities...potentially "not pretty". You could also be dead if you try to grossly "over-achieve"...

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,807 Posts
So if i have a 2011 WK2 I can't just install the factory hitch and hope to have 5000lb towing capacity. I need the load leveling suspension?
You would need everything in the Factory Tow Package.....
I guess you could argue that the Load Leveling Rear Suspension is necessary for safety, the HD cooling is not necessary for safety just a good idea so you don't overheat on the road..... ....but the Factory Tow Package that provides the Higher Tow Rate includes more than just the rear load leveling suspension....

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,195 Posts
You would need everything in the Factory Tow Package.....
I guess you could argue that the Load Leveling Rear Suspension is necessary for safety, the HD cooling is not necessary for safety just a good idea so you don't overheat on the road..... ....but the Factory Tow Package that provides the Higher Tow Rate includes more than just the rear load leveling suspension....
For a 2011 V6 it doesn't include much which is why I commented above I would just avoid using the spare and make sure the trailer and hitch is setup properly. At some point common sense and experience trumps the bean counters and marketing department.

Trailer Tow Group (available with 3.6L only)
  • 5000 Lb. towing capacity
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • Delete Rear Tow Hook
  • Full Size Spare Tire, Steel Spare Wheel
  • Rear Load Leveling Suspension
  • 7 And 4 Pin Wiring Harness

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For a 2011 V6 it doesn't include much which is why I commented above I would just avoid using the spare and make sure the trailer and hitch is setup properly. At some point common sense and experience trumps the bean counters and marketing department.

Trailer Tow Group (available with 3.6L only)
  • 5000 Lb. towing capacity
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • Delete Rear Tow Hook
  • Full Size Spare Tire, Steel Spare Wheel
  • Rear Load Leveling Suspension
  • 7 And 4 Pin Wiring Harness

Thank you for posting this, I was just going to do the same thing. The 2011 tow group did not come with much that's why I was curious if I just install the factory hitch will I be able to tow up to 5000lb.

I currently own a 2011 WK2 without tow package. I like to add the factory tow hitch and would really like to be able to tow a Geo pro 19bh.

Hitch Weight:
360 lb.
UVW
3088 lb.
CCC
772 lb.

Trailer weight doesn't concern me it's the hitch weight that does.

Talked to Forest River and they said the dry hitch weight is with two empty propane tank.

So if I have a tonuge capacity of 500 pounds that leaves me with 140 lb for propane and batteries. Would a wdh help me in this department.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,807 Posts
Thank you for posting this, I was just going to do the same thing. The 2011 tow group did not come with much that's why I was curious if I just install the factory hitch will I be able to tow up to 5000lb.

I currently own a 2011 WK2 without tow package. I like to add the factory tow hitch and would really like to be able to tow a Geo pro 19bh.

Hitch Weight:
360 lb.
UVW
3088 lb.
CCC
772 lb.

Trailer weight doesn't concern me it's the hitch weight that does.

Talked to Forest River and they said the dry hitch weight is with two empty propane tank.

So if I have a tonuge capacity of 500 pounds that leaves me with 140 lb for propane and batteries. Would a wdh help me in this department.
According to what IamTodd listed as the 2011 V6 Tow Package, that raised the Tow Capacity to 5000 lbs, it includes the Load Leveling Rear Suspension....

So I'd think you'd need to the Load Leveling Rear Suspension also to safely Tow 5000 lbs.... ...I didn't see anything about tongue weight for that 2011 V6 package. But if the rear suspension is stock, then I suspect the max safe tongue weight would be 350 lbs from the above table for stock suspension....

I'm pretty sure the load level rear suspension consisted of springs for this option and the Nivomat Load Leveling Shocks and their special upper shock mounts (which may or may not come with the shock). The OEM replacement Nivomat Load Leveling Shock is very expensive.....

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,195 Posts
My point is people have towed for years without fancy load leveling suspension. You don't need it to reach full capacity. It just masks a badly loaded trailer and the drivers lack of not using a weight distributing hitch when required. COMMON SENSE when towing goes a long way.

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
No way would I tow a travel trailer with a 2011 V6 without Factory Tow Option...unless it's under 3000 lbs loaded and 300 lbs tongue weight. (the latter also gets subtracted off the vehicle cargo capacity.

BTW, load leveling suspension doesn't take away the requirement for WDH for tongue weights above 350 lbs with the JGC. It doesn't do anything for weight balance between the axles...it just, well, helps keep things physically level. Mostly, at least.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,807 Posts
I would think keeping the vehicle level aids in maintaining braking and handling for the vehicle... ...you're nose is pushed up in the air, there is less pressure on the front tires and less braking and handling to keep the vehicle under control.

Not disputing what you said, just saying there is an advantage to keep the vehicle level.... ...at the same time, is that not the purpose of limiting tongue weight and the weight distribution hitch? To redistribute the load and level out the vehicle and load, so the tires and suspension work properly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why
No way would I tow a travel trailer with a 2011 V6 without Factory Tow Option...unless it's under 3000 lbs loaded and 300 lbs tongue weight. (the latter also gets subtracted off the vehicle cargo capacity.

BTW, load leveling suspension doesn't take away the requirement for WDH for tongue weights above 350 lbs with the JGC. It doesn't do anything for weight balance between the axles...it just, well, helps keep things physically level. Mostly, at least.
Why not ? Seeing how the tow package was just a hitch and load leveling suspension. Is load leveling suspension that important ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hmmm, I have a 2011 Laredo X (manufactured 10/10) with Tow Package and Off Road Adventure (4x4 with Quadra Trac II). The window sticker under the Tow Package lists Heavy Duty Engine Cooling and the downloaded from Jeep official Equipment List for it's VIN lists Engine Oil Cooler. And yes the Window Sticker and Equipment List also list Rear Load Leveling Suspension.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm, I have a 2011 Laredo X (manufactured 10/10) with Tow Package and Off Road Adventure (4x4 with Quadra Trac II). The window sticker under the Tow Package lists Heavy Duty Engine Cooling and the downloaded from Jeep official Equipment List for it's VIN lists Engine Oil Cooler. And yes the Window Sticker and Equipment List also list Rear Load Leveling Suspension.

My base 2011 Laredo also says Engine Oil Cooler i think the newer models have transmission cooler.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,195 Posts
I would think keeping the vehicle level aids in maintaining braking and handling for the vehicle... ...you're nose is pushed up in the air, there is less pressure on the front tires and less braking and handling to keep the vehicle under control.

Not disputing what you said, just saying there is an advantage to keep the vehicle level.... ...at the same time, is that not the purpose of limiting tongue weight and the weight distribution hitch? To redistribute the load and level out the vehicle and load, so the tires and suspension work properly?
To Jim's point, just because the vehicle is level doesn't mean there is weight on the front wheels and you handling and balance is restored. That is the point of the WDH; to shift some of the tongue weight onto the front wheels...among other things.

·
Registered
50 Posts
...you're nose is pushed up in the air, there is less pressure on the front tires and less braking and handling to keep the vehicle under control.
This is mostly appearance.
The weight at the rear and front would be the same with or without the load leveling shocks. The WDH will create a virtual, longer "lever" that extends towards the front axle, which results in the weight distribution effect.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,807 Posts
Or does the load leveling make the vehicle a virtual lever arm? My guess, the WDH would be far more effective....
For the front to come down, it has to compress the springs..... ....so the front tires will have more pressure and traction than if the vehicle was still nosed raised.... ....of course it does this by increasing the spring force from the shocks to raise the rear, so you probably still have much more force and traction on the rear wheel....

The weight distribution hitch virtually moves the tongue weight toward the center of the Tow vehicle and load, which is more desirable..... ....the load leveling just counteracts the tongue weight.... which I would think does have it advantages but still is not close to the more desirable condition the WDH creates.... i.e. I disagree Load Level is just for looks, but I'm not trying to say load leveling is the same or nearly effective as a WDH....

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,195 Posts
If anything I think load leveling systems give a false sense of the amount of weight you're carrying. I disable quadralift when loading the Jeep heavily or mounting/loading a trailer so I can judge the load better. Otherwise it's pumping itself up every few minutes.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts