Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
504 Posts
Tyler, you are, to my memory, the first person I've seen since mid-2012 to claim the the system defaults to RWD for the "WK2". That's not consistent with all of the descriptions provided by "insiders" and other sources over that time period. Jeep did add an automatic front disconnect to the next generation WL Grand Cherokee, but that does not exist in the "WK2". The table I provided above is how this has been presented since I've been here from when I bought my MY12 Overland Summit in 2012.
There are a lot of things that Jeep explains as operation of their 4x4 systems that isn't correct and has been verified in my testing.

The cherokee KL system is one of them. Jeep said it was FWD and then activated the rear axle when needed. That directly was opposite of what the AAM Ecortrac AWD system engineers stated, and confirmed by my testing.

AAM also states my findings to be true

The DTCM monitoring I do doesn't lie.

It doesn't "default" to RWD I never said that. At low speeds and when coming to a stop it sends power to the front axle, after you take off and accelerate is gradually reduces the power to the front axle to 0 making it RWD when you are cruising.

Take the time to read the posts i've made up showing exactly how and why the 4x4 systems work. I don't post incorrect information.

Unless I've interpreted the data wrong its pretty clear in the above example the transfer case is not sending power to the front wheels most of the time.

I have a WL with QT1 and once the monitoring software is supported i'll be doing a full analysis as well

· Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
504 Posts
I don’t think you’re seeing accurate data
I would love to be able to plot that data against the factory scan tool data … I would bet that they do not agree.
Yeah well i'm sure your scan tool will show the same thing, I monitored multiple cherokee KL's and same thing it matched what AAM said and not what jeep said.

Its been 3 years since I tested my WK2 but by all means grab a WK2 2014 QD2 and prove me wrong.

I'm sure this is wrong too right?

The T-Case backing off clutch lock pressure in relation to steering angle so the drivetrain doesn't bind up either?

I'm sure all the testing is wrong too on the MP3022 used in the Wrangler JL as well.....

People always want to refute my testing but never can and just go based on opinions and no identical testing data to prove otherwise

· Registered
984 Posts
Yeah well i'm sure your scan tool will show the same thing.
I haven't spent a ton of time watching those parameters but from what I recall, it will not match what your shows.
I do not have a 2014 to test, but when I find time, I'll hook up my 2016 and see what it shows .

I'm sure this is wrong too right?

The T-Case backing off clutch lock pressure in relation to steering angle so the drivetrain doesn't bind up either?
No, thats exactly how it's supposed to work .

People always want to refute my testing but never can and just go based on opinions and no identical testing data to prove otherwise
I believe you are getting bad data . I have zero confidence in any scantool that is not OEM. They have a history of not reporting or interpreting data incorrectly .
There are times when the factory scan tool will not display the correct data, simply because its not been programed correctly.
You are only seeing what engineering wants you to see, and unless it's been proven to be accurate, then it's not reliable information.
I've gone down many a rabbit hole only to told I was chasing bad information , so the first thing I question now,is the information.
Im not your enemy here, you have spent a lot of time ,its obvious, I just do not trust the source of the data.
I wish I were closer to you, we could get together and run those same tests with a MicroPod and see if anything comes up different.

· Registered
2014 5.7 Limited ORA2
504 Posts
So what if the data supports what's physically happening.
Example:
People didn't think QD2 could lock the rear ELSD, but you can

EVIS shows lockd, AlfaOBD shows locked, Rear end scrubs like it's locked on a high traction surface.

· Registered
202 Posts
Thank you Jim . In that case, if our goal is to minimize wear on the transfer case, should I put in sport mode all the time ? That way transfer case only have to distribute power to the rear wheels, and there will be less clutch wear in the transfer case because the transfer case just provide direct coupling between engine shaft and the rear axle ? The reason I ask is, I tow RV a lot with my Jeep GC.
If you rotate the tires on a regular basis it should not be a problem. Somewhere I saw a diameter tolerance inside of which your safe.

The real problem arises if you damage a tire and need to replace it when there's significant wear on the other 3. Some shops even have the capability to "shave" the new tire down to match diameter on the older tires: many shops will flat refuse to sell you a new tire with a mismatched diameter and want to sell you a full set. It feels like an upsell but it's not.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk
998 Posts
My Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012 5.7L has the auto setting on the AWD setting. I heard that with full time AWD, the tires has to be keep at the same wear otherwise transfer case will be burnt. . But I have been thinking how can I possible keep them the same wear. there is always a small difference even if we diligently rotate the tire every year. As a result the front axle will always slightly rotate at different speed than the rear axle, thus the transfer case clutch is rubbing ? can someone please explain the internal working of transfer case and the weakness it has with slight difference in tire wear. . How can the design of the jeep transfer case be so rigid such that the difference in tire wear can not be tolerated ? Nobody can maintain precise wear on all 4 tires. Nobody..
I have had my transfer case burnt already because of this difference in tire wear even though I rotate every year. I do not want to happen the second time. I wish Jeep has the 2WD rear only setting like the GM trucks such as Chevy Tahoe. It really does not make sense that all four tires are actively pulling the vehicle in hot summer time, where there is no snow. What for ?
Don't sweat minute differences in tire wear. But also don't replace just two tires on an axle either. That has been known to be damaging to the transfer case. Better to replace all four tires instead.

· Registered
GC TH
642 Posts
As far as xfer case and diff maintenance goes, the manual says to check it every 30k miles. As cheap as ATF+4 and Diff fluid are, I change mine more often than that since we wheel a lot.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk
998 Posts
As far as xfer case and diff maintenance goes, the manual says to check it every 30k miles. As cheap as ATF+4 and Diff fluid are, I change mine more often than that since we wheel a lot.
Are you using the Mopar rear diff fluid? Reason I ask is because the eLSD apparently requires "special" additives. The Mopar stuff isn't exactly cheap.

· Registered
GC TH
642 Posts
Are you using the Mopar rear diff fluid? Reason I ask is because the eLSD apparently requires "special" additives. The Mopar stuff isn't exactly cheap.
It isn’t a Mopar-specific additive. It’s just LSD friction modifier. Most fluids have it or you can buy a small bottle and add it separately.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts