Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to All,
I currently drive a 1965 Ford F100, but I've always been drawn to the early Jeeps for the utility of 4x4. I'm considering selling my Ford for the 65 CJ5. However, I have a few questions...
I'd be using this for local driving and mild 4x4 with my family. Are the CJ5's more prone to rollover than say, the CJ2A? Are there any other safety issues to consider and how reliable is the F engine and are quality parts easily located? I'm aware that driving habits play a big role in any vehicles design performance, but wanted to know if this or other areas should be considered. Thanks for any input.

·
Administrator
11,624 Posts
There is no forum section for something that old, but I'll move this to the oldest Wrangler area to see if someone can help you.

Jim
Forum Moderator

·
Registered
48 Posts
My first Jeep was a CJ-5, and I unintentionally got into a few hairy situations on the trails where I got positively convinced it was gonna tip but didn't. In reality it was probably far from it. These things have a very low center of gravity all things considered. Just a windshield and some tubes above the dash, and even then all the weight is with the drive train below the seats. I think you'll be fine.

FWIW, it seemed in the 90s that most of the old CJs on their lids had V8s under the hood. Maybe it was the extra weight up front... but probably it was the short wheel base and snappy torque under the driver's right foot that caused issues. Could be tough to handle a snap oversteer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.