Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If a covered part takes out a non covered part, does the non covered part still not get covered?

IE I have a sticking brake caliper they want to replace. It took out the front rotor and pads. Of course they want to do both sides new rotors and pads etc. I'd be OK with that if it was all covered... but doesn't seem to be. Everything being fixed stemmed from the covered defective part, so doesn't it make sense that all following problems should fall in line and be covered too? 61K miles, No previous brake issues....

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
I had kinda the same scenario that you describe last year when a rear brake caliper broke loose and ruined the rotor on one side. The caliper, etc. was covered, but the disposables (rotor and pads) was not covered...and yes, they must to both sides to keep things even, unless the existing is nearly new.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I believe that, and I'm prepared to pay for the disposables if necessary. I guess if there is a positive, they are going to cover the new caliper and replace both front wheel bearings as a precaution due to over heating, also covered. Plus towing it in, I can't complain. When you get your final service bill, does it show what you would have paid without Maxcare, or just that certain things were covered?
Thank you...

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
Yeah, the brake category is specifically delineated as:

"Brake pads, shoes, rotors and drums are not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure);"

But the basic question of is a non-covered component covered if it is taken out by a covered component isn't directly addressed.

Interestingly, the reverse is:

"THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:

Repairs to a covered component caused by the failure of a non-covered component..."

don't know how things look on the service invoice as I have not had a MaxCare visit yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
I don't recall seeing any "if you didn't have the MaxCare extended service contract you would have paid..." thing on any of my invoices. Those items just show as covered at zero cost and the deductible is a separate line item on the invoice/bill.

Reactions: Stbentoak

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was a locked up front caliper... New caliper via Maxcare, new pads and rotors paid by myself and we are back in gear. Tech also replaced both front wheel bearings as one had excessive play and the other was making noise. Covered by Maxcare including towing. Prob best possible outcome..
They said w/o maxcare, the items+ labor to do the maxcare covered item would have been about 450.00 alone + towing...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts