Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the last year of Jeep Commander (2010) with a 6 speed transmission and hemi. The hemi engine was fantastic going up the mountains in CO, doing some off-roading in Moab and CO with plenty of pep on the road. The 3.0 V6 offered at the time was a terrible engine for the vehicle. So I was really reluctant to try the Pentastar V6.

However - I had 2012 Town and country with a Pentastar V6 which I was always reasonably impressed with the performance. Not a thrill ride but it never felt under-powered.

So we drove the Trailhawk with a hemi and with the V6. I was really surprised at how the V6 more than adequately powers the GC and ultimately decided on the V6 for the following reasons:
1) We don't tow anything other than a lightweight kayak trailer and an occasional U-Haul rental if needed.
2) Because the Hemi works optimally with 89 (I found that to be true from the manual and in practice by checking mileage differences - it was worth using 89 and the engine felt better), the cost of running the hemi for us each year would be around 1000 dollars each year.
3) The 295 HP gives more than adequate power around town and suspect that the kind of off-road driving we do with 4x4 low will provide more than enough power.

Having written all of this, I totally get that the Hemi is a fantastic engine and if we towed or wanted a more aggressive ride, that would have been our choice. I just wanted to let those that may have been reluctant to pick the V6 because of past experience with the 3.0 that it is worth a drive. I love our new trailhawk with the V6.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've owned some heavily modified JK and JL Wranglers while running 37" tires and the V6 was plenty for that platform, there's obviously a reason why it's been in the Wranglers for so long. Additionally I owned a new GC '18 V6 and traded it in for a new '19 V8. While the V6 is fine, for the GC platform I feel it's underwhelming and the transmission is a butchered/poorly programmed version of the V8's true ZF trans. Lastly, the gas mileage was barely noticeable in the city and on the highway the MDS works like a charm on the V8. If gas prices are a concern then sure but I owned all of this vehicles in Colorado for the 7yrs I lived there and any savings you might get with a V6 is usually out the window once you hit a hill or slight incline which there are plenty. Bottom line, the V6 is fine for what it is but the biggest selling point for me was the transmission which a lot of people don't realize is day and night from the V6-V8.

·
Super Moderator
9,694 Posts
The Pentastar is a good engine, particularly combined with the 8 speed, and the vast majority of JGCs are built with it.

Reactions: PDXddillas and RCP7

·
Registered
183 Posts
Coming from a 2007 with the 5 speed NAG1 (which is probably much better than the 545RFE of the same era) and the 3.7 V6 - let's just say I find myself speeding on the highway far too often. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Coming from a 2013 Wrangler V6 to a 2019 GC with the 5.7 V8. I am towing a 16‘ Airstream. (GC laughed at going up the Grapevine south bound.) I’m getting 18-21 mpg not towing. About 16-17 in town.
Personally, although the V6 is a good engine, I don’t see any reason not to get the V8, unless you can’t find the trim you’re looking for.

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,612 Posts
The ZF 8HP tranny, and its versions, is used in the Pentastar V6, V6 3.0 ED and all iterations of the V8. No such thing as the "true V8 version"....
Our 2020 V6 Summit 8HP50 (Chrysler 850RE) shifts smoothly and is, in fact, a less clunky set-up than the 8HP70 we had in our 2014 JGC 3.0 ED.
Also FYI, the 50 after the 8HP denotes maximum gas motor torque of 500.

Reactions: Danamr

·
Registered
183 Posts
The ZF 8HP tranny, and its versions, is used in the Pentastar V6, V6 3.0 ED and all iterations of the V8. No such thing as the "true V8 version"....
Our 2020 V6 Summit 8HP50 (Chrysler 850RE) shifts smoothly and is, in fact, a less clunky set-up than the 8HP70 we had in our 2014 JGC 3.0 ED.
Also FYI, the 50 after the 8HP denotes maximum gas motor torque of 500.
I may be mistaken but the 50 or 70 may refer to torque in Nm not lb-ft but obviously still in excess of what the paired engines produce.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Yes.....it is 500 N-m (368lb ft) as they are German 😉

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gosh what a shocker, this has turned into yet another pentastar vs hemi thread.
The guy is just saying what many other have said: Just because you love your V8 does not mean EVERYONE else MUST buy a V8.

I too have a V6 powered Trailhawk and love it also have it in a Wrangler and it works great in there as well.
Can we just get back to "different strokes for different folks" and stop trying to persuade everyone that your opinion is the only one that matters??

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have driven JGC's with all 3 engines and owned 2, one with the ED and now the Pentastar V6.
It is definitely "horses for courses" we are discussing here not a h.p. competition😉.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I’ve ridden in a friend’s Pentastar several times and it does just fine. The only differences I’ve noticed are the 8 speed shifts a little more often to maintain a given speed and the rpm’s are a little higher due to the stiffer 3.45 axle ratio.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
No worries ... I like Hemi vs. V6 threads. ;)

Reactions: kdl

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,379 Posts
My first car had 80 hp. That too was adequate. Really, all the available engines are just fine, barring some defect that might drive you crazy. Unless you are racing or towing really large stuff all of the available options are overkill in terms of adequate/more than adequate. I bought a V8 because my last rig (92 explorer) had an "adequate" engine and I was tired of adequate. I don't need the V8 except to accelerate faster just for the pure joy of doing so... and I pay for it in gas mileage.. my dollars.. my choices.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My first car had 80 hp. That too was adequate. Really, all the available engines are just fine, barring some defect that might drive you crazy. Unless you are racing or towing really large stuff all of the available options are overkill in terms of adequate/more than adequate. I bought a V8 because my last rig (92 explorer) had an "adequate" engine and I was tired of adequate. I don't need the V8 except to accelerate faster just for the pure joy of doing so... and I pay for it in gas mileage.. my dollars.. my choices.
Literally the definition of economics. I appreciate @indymtb for his review and story of where he came from to feel the 3.6 fit his needs. I do wonder are you meaning the 3.0 CRD or are you referring to the 3.7 PowerTech? The Commander I thought only had the CRD outside of the US and only offered the 3.7 V6 or the two V8's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i to have the Pentastar with 5 speed, i drove the 3.0 Crd and loved the get up and go, i reckoned however that i would loose my license, i didn't drive the V8 as in Australia there is a registration penalty the more cylinders you have , also we have high fuel costs at the moment around $1.40 per litre

i could say for me the V6 is a great drive and a very well balanced drive, however there are times when i would appreciate a little more power, but if im honesty im driving like an idiot at that point.

i also have a throttle booster on it and that in my mind covers a bunch of issues,

no tow bar so i don't tow

however if towing was a requirement i still wouldn't buy the V8 i would buy the Diesel.

·
Premium Member
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Literally the definition of economics. I appreciate @indymtb for his review and story of where he came from to feel the 3.6 fit his needs. I do wonder are you meaning the 3.0 CRD or are you referring to the 3.7 PowerTech? The Commander I thought only had the CRD outside of the US and only offered the 3.7 V6 or the two V8's.
I stand corrected. The diesel had plenty of power. I meant the 3.7 PowerTech. Good catch. The 3.7 was a dog in a 5,000 lb Commander. My hemi was a great performer but got worse MPG than the hemi with the 8 speed. (Around 12-13 mpg in town and 17-18 on the road with AT tires).

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, 3.6L V6
47 Posts
I had an '05 Liberty 4x4 w/ the 3.7. Couldn't get out of it's own way, and swilled fuel like crazy. I got the same mileage that your Commander did.

The 3.6 in the JGC is fine for me. Decent power, long life, and decent MPGs.

Reactions: RCP7

·
Registered
106 Posts
I stand corrected. The diesel had plenty of power. I meant the 3.7 PowerTech. Good catch. The 3.7 was a dog in a 5,000 lb Commander. My hemi was a great performer but got worse MPG than the hemi with the 8 speed. (Around 12-13 mpg in town and 17-18 on the road with AT tires).
Oh yes, it's amazing what 80 more hp and 30 lb ft of tq will do. Plus shedding the iron block made it lighter than the 3.7. It was easy to maintain though, the Pentastar is for sure more complex. I still long for a compact turbo I6!! (I mean hey the Hemi is 28" long and a BMW M54 is ~29", it's possible!!)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts